Birdsnest Trouble

Dive Cowboy

Community Member
View Badges
Joined
Nov 15, 2023
Messages
58
Reaction score
24
Location
Portland, Oregon
What state or country do you live in
Oregon
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Help! I have this small colony of birdsnest coral that was looking really good for a month or so. Yesterday I noticed a couple branches looked bleached. They were in a spot that looked like they could have been just grazed by a torch. I moved the coral a few inches away. Similar lighting, maybe a bit higher flow (pretty high). This morning I woke up and the area that looked bleached had at least doubled, maybe tripled, and almost the entire colony isn't opening at all. Only about 10-20% looks bleached. The rest is brown with no polyp extension. My LFS says that if it gets stung, the death can spread to areas that didn't even get touched. I hadn't heard of that, but he knows more than I do.

My water parameters stay pretty stable. Phos are .09. Nitrates are about 9. Other parameters in photo. Most everything else looks pretty good, including other SPS. The onky exception is a small digitata frag that died a few days ago.

20240817_092321.jpg Screenshot_20240817_093329_APEXFusion.jpg
 
All it takes. Birdsnest grows fast and dies fast.
 
All it takes. Birdsnest grows fast and dies fast.
For real. It was almost completely gone 8 hrs. after I posted. Luckily, a very small piece broke off when I was moving it away from the torch, so I threw it on a plug, and it survived and looks pretty good.
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT IS THE BIGGEST REASON YOU ATTEND A FRAG SWAP?

  • Finding unusual or hard-to-find corals

    Votes: 7 25.0%
  • Better prices than buying online

    Votes: 14 50.0%
  • Trading or selling my own frags

    Votes: 3 10.7%
  • Meeting other reefers

    Votes: 10 35.7%
  • Learning from vendors and hobbyists

    Votes: 4 14.3%
  • Seeing corals in person before buying

    Votes: 14 50.0%
  • Supporting the local reefing community

    Votes: 8 28.6%
  • I don’t have frag swaps nearby

    Votes: 4 14.3%
  • Other (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 0 0.0%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new