Biscuit Starfish

Dburr1014

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just stumbled upon This Thread. How's it going with your starfish? I just picked one up myself and they said it was West African starfish.

17021609405271676184507899980531.jpg

WheatToast

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just stumbled upon This Thread. How's it going with your starfish? I just picked one up myself and they said it was West African starfish.

17021609405271676184507899980531.jpg
I am pretty sure this is an Aussie biscuit starfish (possibly Anchitosia queenslandensis) given its more orange coloration and rounded arm tips, as opposed to a West African biscuit starfish (Goniaster tessellatus). They prefer colder temperatures than those in most reef tanks.
@AydenLincoln
@DeniableArc

OP
OP
AydenLincoln

AydenLincoln

Pufferfish lover!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Last edited:
OP
OP
AydenLincoln

AydenLincoln

Pufferfish lover!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Wait, what happened? I am so sorry to hear.
His spikes fell off and he kind of melted away so I pulled him out. I tried to dry him out and preserve him and then I accidentally broke him. They don’t live an extremely long time and who knows how old he was when I got him. I still consider the year and a few months I had him to be a success.:)

Dburr1014

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Unfortunately mine passed away after over a year and yes this is very different than mine. This is an orange Pentagonaster duebeni which is found in Australia and more of a temperate/coldwater species. https://bie.ala.org.au/species/http...afd/taxa/bb92a135-1d42-48f2-967e-59f1ca818576
Sorry to hear about your biscuit.
I will do some reading up on it.
The guy had a whole bin of orange and red ones. He said they were all west Africans but the red were specifically from Ghana. He did insist they were all from the Atlantic.
If it is a colder water one it may not fair well. I keep the tank at 76.5\77.5 F.

Thanks for the info!

livinlifeinBKK

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry to hear about your biscuit.
I will do some reading up on it.
The guy had a whole bin of orange and red ones. He said they were all west Africans but the red were specifically from Ghana. He did insist they were all from the Atlantic.
If it is a colder water one it may not fair well. I keep the tank at 76.5\77.5 F.

Thanks for the info!
They do look like Pentagonaster duebeni species. They're actually endemic to Australia so it's very strange they'd get a shipment of them. I don't think they're endangered or threatened so I definitely guess a few may come in once in a while. We get them once in a while here. What's your feeding plan? You may need to try a few (or several foods) to hopefully sustain it for a period of time.

EricR

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
His spikes fell off and he kind of melted away so I pulled him out. I tried to dry him out and preserve him and then I accidentally broke him. They don’t live an extremely long time and who knows how old he was when I got him. I still consider the year and a few months I had him to be a success.:)
Bummer,,, sorry to hear that.
Have you actually had any reef-safe stars make it multiple years?
*I know I was watching some of your sea star threads at one point in the past but lost track

Dburr1014

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They do look like Pentagonaster duebeni species. They're actually endemic to Australia so it's very strange they'd get a shipment of them. I don't think they're endangered or threatened so I definitely guess a few may come in once in a while. We get them once in a while here. What's your feeding plan? You may need to try a few (or several foods) to hopefully sustain it for a period of time.
I have seen him once since Saturday, that was last night. It was stuck to the wall, I tried feeding it but it was impossible. I tried mysis and my own diy frozen concoction. I'll try again if it's on a more level surface.

livinlifeinBKK

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have seen him once since Saturday, that was last night. It was stuck to the wall, I tried feeding it but it was impossible. I tried mysis and my own diy frozen concoction. I'll try again if it's on a more level surface.
Try an isolation box to test new foods...that might help. The success I had with the Fromia stars was due to trying different things and seeing what triggered a feeding response. Additionally, it may be very hungry (almost starving depending on how long it was going through the supply chain) and therefore simply slow in getting to the food. An isolation box will help avoid crabs you may have or fish from stealing the food.

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 94 75.8%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 15 12.1%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 8 6.5%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 1 0.8%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 2 1.6%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

• Other.

Back