1   0   0
One very clean clam shell!:)
D7DEC4AA-7A15-4AFA-A817-A5871890E878.jpeg

introvert.invert_hba

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I still have him and I still love him very much. I feed him krill soaked in phytoplankton. And he survived a NOPOX overdose and giant bacteria bloom back in the beginning of October. I thought he was a goner especially because I lost my shrimp and urchin and didn’t have time to acclimate him in the other tank I plopped him after he went limp from being severely oxygen deprived and then he started melting away a bit from shock and I really thought he was going to die. But he has since recovered/has been back home and is doing great.
I love that for you!!!! I saw the pictures you recently added to this thread and cookie is the cutest!! I put in a request at my LFS to find me one of those starfish for my tank. So I’m super happy you responded! I can’t wait to have a cookie of my own.

OP
OP
AydenLincoln

AydenLincoln

Pufferfish lover!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I love that for you!!!! I saw the pictures you recently added to this thread and cookie is the cutest!! I put in a request at my LFS to find me one of those starfish for my tank. So I’m super happy you responded! I can’t wait to have a cookie of my own.
If they have suppliers/importers in West Africa they should be able to get one as they are frequently collected/found over there.

locito277

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If they have suppliers/importers in West Africa they should be able to get one as they are frequently collected/found over there.
Do you think he would eat live tiger scallops or he only eats dead clams? id love one in my seahorse tank.

OP
OP
AydenLincoln

AydenLincoln

Pufferfish lover!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Do you think he would eat live tiger scallops or he only eats dead clams? id love one in my seahorse tank.
Mine eats anything I give him. I personally wouldn’t risk it as they are a predatory starfish but if you keep him well fed it may work. One thing I will say is I have a flame scallop and I didn’t want to put the two of them together. I did however put him in with a purple reef lobster and it’s worked out.

Pyrat80

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have had one housed with a flame scallop for 8 months with out an issue. The one I have has made short work of most of the algae in my tank. It has, aside from crawling over, left my coral alone.

OP
OP
AydenLincoln

AydenLincoln

Pufferfish lover!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Cookie is eating a dead coral skeleton! I’ll allow it since it’s dead. I’ve noticed that when they are dead or dying he likes to eat them. Something about them must be attracting because he hasn’t touched or tried to eat any healthy corals. The coral got covered in hair algae and then lost to the sand bed where it was eaten by the urchin and snails and is sadly now one dead coral. Anecdotal evidence from myself and others points to these stars only wanting to eat dead/dying coral which I don’t mind so I’ll allow it.

Last edited:

BubblesandSqueak

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
He moved on and there’s a small part I can tell he ate or at least tasted/tried.
Is "Cookie" still around since it's been over a year now? Just curious on updates. Has he bothered zoas or torches? I have a red fromia and he is still doing great. Always feel bad though when I clean the glass.

BubblesandSqueak

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

livinlifeinBKK

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks like LiveRockNReef got in some Australian Biscuit Stars. Incredibly pricey though:

I think those are misidentified. This is a Pentagonaster duebeni. They're endemic to southern Australia and it seems slightly unethical to remove an endemic species for the aquarium trade. Let's not forget about their natural diet... 1693824449942.jpg

OP
OP
AydenLincoln

AydenLincoln

Pufferfish lover!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Is "Cookie" still around since it's been over a year now? Just curious on updates. Has he bothered zoas or torches? I have a red fromia and he is still doing great. Always feel bad though when I clean the glass.
Yes he is and no he hasn’t. I’ve knocked him off the glass too by accident and I feel bad so I apologize to him.

BubblesandSqueak

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think those are misidentified. This is a Pentagonaster duebeni. They're endemic to southern Australia and it seems slightly unethical to remove an endemic species for the aquarium trade. Let's not forget about their natural diet... 1693824449942.jpg
seems our tanks may be safer than Florida. if all this survives 100 degree water, it should survive any temperature swings in our tanks.

BubblesandSqueak

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes he is and no he hasn’t. I’ve knocked him off the glass too by accident and I feel bad so I apologize to him.
thats great news. everyone says around 8 months to expect things to go south. you're at 14 months and should start posting more about him. unless you have a different thread going. I had bought a mosaic tile and was informed later they were out of stock and offered a Fromia. He is pretty much the most entertaining critter in the tank. I do intervene and transport him though when he decides to start cleaning the powerhead.

livinlifeinBKK

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
He's not actually a West African Biscuit Starfish, right? These are West African Biscuit Starfish that are being sold here...i
thats great news. everyone says around 8 months to expect things to go south. you're at 14 months and should start posting more about him. unless you have a different thread going. I had bought a mosaic tile and was informed later they were out of stock and offered a Fromia. He is pretty much the most entertaining critter in the tank. I do intervene and transport him though when he decides to start cleaning the powerhead.
Fromias have a totally different diet though

livinlifeinBKK

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
seems our tanks may be safer than Florida. if all this survives 100 degree water, it should survive any temperature swings in our tanks.
This species is actually found in cooler water in southern Australia primarily...I think 100 degrees would cook one of them pretty quickly

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 86 76.1%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 13 11.5%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 8 7.1%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 2 1.8%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

• Other.

Back