BJD

coralcoralcoral10

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
First torch with BJD planning dip tonight it has been going on for 3 days now. Is there any saving this coral. Tank is 4 months old just did a tank transfer to a 2/3 bigger tank a week ago. It looks like I’m going to lose it. Thanks. Any tips would be helpful still very new to reefing

Cell

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Cipro worked well when I used an in tank treatment.

Dipping method I use I got from a friend on FB. Many have success with iodine and chemiclean mixed together also. Dip regimen as follows though.

BJD/ Tissue Recsn

Brown Jelly and tissue recession

•You will need 3 separate containers for mixing ingredients. Another 1 or 2 for rinsing the coral off when moving to next dip.

** Do Not Combine the ingredients**

1. Mix 2 cups of tank water with 1 capful of witch hazel, you can sub hydrogen peroxide if necessary. Swirl it around, and/or use something to gently blow off the “jelly”. Dip for 15 minutes

2. Mix 2 cups of tank water with 1/2 of a packet of furan 2. Swirl the coral in the dip, or use baster as done with the Witch Hazel for 15 minutes

3. Mix 2 cups of tank water with iodine until it looks like lightly colored iced tea. Swirl/baster for 15 minutes.

•I use Lugols Iodine with 2-2.5 drops from the included dropper.

4. Swirl the coral in another container with only tank water. Place the coral back into the tank in low light for a day or two.

••Again, do not mix any of the dip ingredients together in any of the containers.

••If needed, it will be fine to perform this on back to back days.

I didn’t not come up with the treatment regimen myself and I’m unsure of the original person(s) that did. However I have used it several times to save euphyllia with great success

ADAM

@AK_Reefs on Instagram
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was so confused for a moment…

First torch with BJD planning dip tonight it has been going on for 3 days now. Is there any saving this coral. Tank is 4 months old just did a tank transfer to a 2/3 bigger tank a week ago. It looks like I’m going to lose it. Thanks. Any tips would be helpful still very new to reefing

Torches (and other euphyllia) can be rather temperamental. Even thought most places list them in the “fairly” easy category that’s assuming everything is stable: Temp/ALK are the two biggest offenders of making them really mad. The tank transfer is likley your cause. Four months of settlement in the rocks getting stirred up and likely causing some nutrient fluctuations would certainly make one really upset.

Keep it in enough light to sustain life and enough flow to keep the tentacles moving. The dipping regimen above should work however after the 2nd round is done I would likely just continue with the light iodine mixture dip from that point on. Between dips try not to mess with it much unless absolutely necessary also.

Good Luck and Happy Reefing

Cell

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was so confused for a moment…

Its just such a great, detailed protocol that I continue to refer to it anytime I see someone looking for help with BJD.

How much do you care about having a display FREE of wires, pumps and equipment?

• Want it squeaky clean! Wires be danged!

Votes: 99 43.8%
  • A few things are ok with me!

Votes: 105 46.5%
  • No care at all! Bring it on!

Votes: 22 9.7%
Back