Black acrylic / polycarbonate lids

beatle

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I recently replaced the clear mesh on my Red Sea DIY frame with black mesh. I like it a lot more without all the glare from the light going through the translucent mesh, but the frame is now tweaked from the mesh being so tight, and I'd really just like a nicer looking lid.

I'm aware of several custom lid makers (Kraken, ClearView, Octo, Top Lids) but none appear to offer options with black mesh or a black polycarbonate frame. I haven't yet reached out to all of them to see if these are available. Hoping to find someone who already makes a black lid. I'm not concerned about light penetration. I only run my light at a max of 45% as it is with clear mesh so I have plenty of headroom.

jsker

Reefing is all about the adventure
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would suggest calling, I bet they can make the lid with the black mesh

OP
OP
B

beatle

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've started to reach out to a few. ClearView got back to me already and they don't do black lids.

OP
OP
B

beatle

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
According to their website, Octo does not offer black mesh as they say salt creep makes it eventually look bad. Doesn't make sense to me as I'd just rinse it off.

Troylee

all about the diy!!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
According to their website, Octo does not offer black mesh as they say salt creep makes it eventually look bad. Doesn't make sense to me as I'd just rinse it off.
There’s no black polycarbonate so that’s outta the question. Black acrylic all day long but it will develop a slight bow over time “fyi”. as for the mesh it’s doable but not everyone is like you and gonna clean it! People would rather complain and get a refund or a discount when they pay all that money for a lid and it turns white lol.. for that reason I see where the companies are coming from..

OP
OP
B

beatle

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Black polycarbonate exists and is available. Here is just one source:

My existing clear mesh / black frame also accumulates salt, and it gets rinsed as well. Being clear doesn't make the salt invisible. Cleaning is just part of the hobby.

Not sure why they wouldn't at least offer black mesh as an option. It is also not expensive even at retail prices, and it is easy to store for those who want to order it. Perhaps TopLids or Kraken will come through.

I am only aware of those 4 vendors. If there are others, I'll research their offerings and reach out to them as well.

Troylee

all about the diy!!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Black polycarbonate exists and is available. Here is just one source:

My existing clear mesh / black frame also accumulates salt, and it gets rinsed as well. Being clear doesn't make the salt invisible. Cleaning is just part of the hobby.

Not sure why they wouldn't at least offer black mesh as an option. It is also not expensive even at retail prices, and it is easy to store for those who want to order it. Perhaps TopLids or Kraken will come through.

I am only aware of those 4 vendors. If there are others, I'll research their offerings and reach out to them as well.
I’ve done clear with black vinyl to hide the machine work… $1500 for a scrap of 1/2” that’s only 2ft by 4ft wow!! Lids would be crazy priced! That lid would cost more than a tank that size haha!

Attachments

• CA5E237C-9D61-4AD4-A823-2A9C8F025062.jpeg
    CA5E237C-9D61-4AD4-A823-2A9C8F025062.jpeg
    250.1 KB · Views: 58
  • DD82EAA5-5846-4293-8655-F64CF49438F6.jpeg
    DD82EAA5-5846-4293-8655-F64CF49438F6.jpeg
    238.2 KB · Views: 54
OP
OP
B

beatle

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's a great idea with the vinyl. Even if black polycarbonate isn't prohibitively expensive, I think the matte finish of the vinyl will look better.

Troylee

all about the diy!!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's a great idea with the vinyl. Even if black polycarbonate isn't prohibitively expensive, I think the matte finish of the vinyl will look better.
I’ve thought about using all black on the entire thing.. clear is much cheaper and vinyl is cheap! It comes in every sheen and color under the sun lol..

OP
OP
B

beatle

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, vinyl over the entire frame will definitely be the route I take if I can find a company to use black mesh in their design.

OP
OP
B

beatle

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Top Lids actually said they do offer black mesh! I did not find it on their website (maybe I didn't look close enough) but they said approximately 50% of their customers choose black mesh. Will be talking with them a little later today or tomorrow about the details.

biecacka

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Any updates?
just curious. I would like to find someone local with an CNC machine to cut my lid cutout. But I’d be interested in seeing your black mesh set up.

corey

Reefacist

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Top Lids actually said they do offer black mesh! I did not find it on their website (maybe I didn't look close enough) but they said approximately 50% of their customers choose black mesh. Will be talking with them a little later today or tomorrow about the details.
Did it come together the way you wanted?

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 41 16.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 15 6.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 30 12.0%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 144 57.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 18 7.2%
Back