Black and white clownfish velvet/ich?

Garyf7257

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
hi. Just overnight I lost my tang and angel due to velvet. They were covered in dust by the morning that they passed. My question is the only survivor is a black and white clown. It looks like he could have a coating of white on him. Should I QT him and treat with copper? I also have a goby who I added recently which I believe brought the velvet in. He is still alive but he's covered in dust as well and he doesn't look good. Should I start copper treatment on both? What should I do about my main tank. I have snails in there and cleaner shrimps. Could snails catch velvet. I never had my whole tank wiped out over night so I'm just in shock and need to know what my next steps should be. Any help would be appreciated. Thank you!!!

drawman

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes you should quarantine and treat all remaining fish including the clown and goby. You will want to treat in a quarantine tank that is at least 10 feet away from your display and be careful not to cross contaminate anything. You will want to leave your display fishless for about 78 days if you want to rid it of all parasites (velvet, ich, flukes). Snails and other inverts will not be affected.

Move quickly with these two remaining fish. Ideally you will want to start off with a freshwater dip, followed by acriflavine (skip if you can't find it), and 30 days of copper. Please read this (especially post #2):
https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/velvet-amyloodinium-ocellatum.217570/

Also, post a pic if you can as this will help us confirm the diagnosis. I would also treat for flukes if they make it through. Good luck!

Last edited:

Looking back to your reefing roots: Did you start with Instant Ocean salt?

• I started with Instant Ocean salt.

Votes: 39 72.2%
  • I did not start with Instant Ocean salt, but I have used it at some point.

Votes: 7 13.0%
  • I did not start with Instant Ocean salt and have not used it.

Votes: 7 13.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.9%
Back