Black anemone with white tips

chrisver13

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Anyone know what species of anemone this is? I just got it from someone locally and he got it from Indonesia. It has a brown foot, black base and the tips of the tentacles are white. The tentacles are the shape of an upside down tear drop, but not like a bubble tip. Any ideas?

OP
OP
chrisver13

chrisver13

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry, I couldn't upload before. But I got it working. I took some with actinics and daylight lights.

20180219_215325.jpg

20180219_222326.jpg

20180219_215232.jpg

20180219_222359.jpg

NanoCrazed

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Best guess is that is an Indonesian ritteri...a tiny baby one, at that.

reefsponge

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
It’s a bubble tip. Some refer to it as chocolate chip bta. Blue zoo and divers den get them every now and again. Here is one I had in the past. It was fine the first few weeks and then hid and shrunk into nothing:(
EC64AC43-1588-4459-A3BA-EACBCAF7AB4F.png

sotsreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It’s a bubble tip. Some refer to it as chocolate chip bta. Blue zoo and divers den get them every now and again. Here is one I had in the past. It was fine the first few weeks and then hid and shrunk into nothing:(
EC64AC43-1588-4459-A3BA-EACBCAF7AB4F.png
Aww man that sucks. It sure looked cool:(

OP
OP
chrisver13

chrisver13

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ya, I don't know if it's a bubble tip. I have 3 different bta in my aquarium and it doesn't seem to be a bta. I guess it could be and just behaves a little differently.

Neo Jeo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Really cool looking! Question- How many anemone can you have in a tank? I have a 120g and I love these things.

Ds04384

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Really cool looking! Question- How many anemone can you have in a tank? I have a 120g and I love these things.

If they're the same type or at least not sting each other then a lot. Here is a pic I took of an anemone tank at the Georgia aquarium. I don't think they could have fit another one in there!
IMG_4378.JPG

Ds04384

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Double posted, please delete this comment

Last edited:

Lance M.

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I vote bta. The ones I have seen like that usually change shape a little and get darker over time.

You should add your daylight pics to your thread on RC asking the same thing.

reefsponge

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
The striations around the mouth in your first pic are a strong indicator of bta. Just google chocolate bubble tip anemone.

ChuckKSU

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree with NanoCrazed above, that it's Heteractis magnifica, also known as a ritteri anemone. Its short tentacle shape as shown in the picture is a possible sign of stress or it being very young. For me, the blunt tentacles and the striated base as seen in the 2nd and 3rd shown is what makes me think it's H. magnifica.

It will likely color up given the proper lighting and water quality, and the tentacles will become longer. In this new world of wildly-colored designer zoas and SPS, there seems to be a denial of the fact that many healthy photosynthetic cnidarians are brown.

They live for perhaps over a hundred years in the wild, but survival in captivity is not usually good. My suggestion would be to make it the center of a pristine specimen tank, with a good biofilter of live rock, with carefully shielded overflows and no exposed powerhead intakes, as they can wander.

I could be wrong! Keep us posted on this beautiful creature's progress!

ChuckKSU

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree with NanoCrazed above, that it's Heteractis magnifica, also known as a ritteri anemone.

Its short tentacle shape as shown in the picture is a possible sign of stress or it being very young. For me, the blunt tentacles and the striated base as seen in the 2nd and 3rd shown is what makes me think it's H. magnifica. Way too much information here: <http://eol.org/pages/420986/details>

It will likely color up given the proper lighting and water quality, and the tentacles will become longer. However, brown is good! In this new world of wildly-colored designer zoas and SPS, there seems to be a denial of the fact that many healthy photosynthetic cnidarians are brown.

They live for perhaps over a hundred years in the wild, but survival in captivity is not usually good. I had one for almost three years. My suggestion would be to make it the center of a pristine specimen tank, with a good biofilter of live rock, with carefully shielded overflows and no exposed powerhead intakes, as they can wander. Many species of clownfish are known to associate with this species, including ocellaris and percula, skunks, and clarkii, among many others (see link above as well).

I could be wrong! Keep us posted on this beautiful creature's progress!

Centurio

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It is exactly what you were told. A probably wild Indonesian Bubble-Tip. I've noticed quite a few for sale in the last month -- they must be in season. I've had a couple in my Nem propogation tank this month but as wilds have not had a lot of success keeping them happy and alive for more than 60 days.

OP
OP
chrisver13

chrisver13

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My lfs said it is a species in the same genus as a bubble tip. He called it a corn anemone. Who knows, ill keep watching it and see what happens. I have 4 bta's in the tank and they're all happy. Hopefully this one does well.ill update in a couple weeks and see where we are.

Micaeltercer

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My lfs said it is a species in the same genus as a bubble tip. He called it a corn anemone. Who knows, ill keep watching it and see what happens. I have 4 bta's in the tank and they're all happy. Hopefully this one does well.ill update in a couple weeks and see where we are.
Sorry to revive an old thread but did you find out if this was a Ritteri or not? I just bought the exact same anemone in the same way. The guy said it was a ritteri but it was a juvenile. It looks just like yours. I’d love to hear how it turned out

Tentacled trailblazer in your tank: Have you ever kept a large starfish?

• I currently have a starfish in my tank.

Votes: 27 30.3%
  • Not currently, but I have kept a starfish in the past.

Votes: 21 23.6%
  • I have never kept a starfish, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 22 24.7%
  • I have no plans to keep a starfish.

Votes: 19 21.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back