Black Axil Chromis?

J Rog

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have been thinking about adding a couple of Chromis to my tank. i came across Black Axil chromis. What is the difference from these and the regular green chromis? Besides the price tag.. Does anyone have these guys? I have read that there color is more vibrent but only saw that on one thread when i looked it up on google.. Anyone have more info?

Mike&Terry

Wrasses, Angels, & Tangs, Oh My!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have been thinking about adding a couple of Chromis to my tank. i came across Black Axil chromis. What is the difference from these and the regular green chromis? Besides the price tag.. Does anyone have these guys? I have read that there color is more vibrent but only saw that on one thread when i looked it up on google.. Anyone have more info?

There isn't much of a difference between the two, except for the black spot at the base of the pectoral fin. Under our lighting, the Black Axil's color is a bit more vivid blue and the black spot pops under our lighting. Many times, you can find them at a LFS mixed in with Chromis viridis, especially when small (the spot is hard to see, but if you know to look for it, you can pick them out). We've kept both together and while neither actually school, they will shoal and sleep together at night.

hth,
-Terry

OP
OP
J Rog

J Rog

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There isn't much of a difference between the two, except for the black spot at the base of the pectoral fin. Under our lighting, the Black Axil's color is a bit more vivid blue and the black spot pops under our lighting. Many times, you can find them at a LFS mixed in with Chromis viridis, especially when small (the spot is hard to see, but if you know to look for it, you can pick them out). We've kept both together and while neither actually school, they will shoal and sleep together at night.

hth,
-Terry

Cool, thanks for the info :roll:So maybe I will just try to find them mixed in with the regulars. I also read they are less aggressive then the regular green's. Do you notice this with yours?

jjflounder1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I purchased 3 aka Blue Green Chromis 3 months ago one of witch has grown significantly, the other 2 have gotten somewhat bigger .
the larger one has also gotten a bit rounder, not so elongated , and seams to have no significant markings ...
the smaller 2 have lighter blue eyes ,black on the lower edge of the anal fin, and a black saddle mark behind the dorsal fin . I don't see dark spots by the pectoral fins on any of them ....
Could someone help me identify them..... Could this just be juvenile markings ? Is the larger one just older?

Form or function: Do you consider your rock work to be art or the platform for your coral?

• Primarily art focused.

Votes: 20 8.5%
  • Primarily a platform for coral.

Votes: 40 17.0%
  • A bit of each - both art and a platform.

Votes: 158 67.2%
  • Neither.

Votes: 11 4.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 2.6%
Back