Black Axil Chromis?

Zionas

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Winnieland (AKA “People’s” Republic of China)
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you think they’re worth it if I add a single one to have a dash of green in my tank? My LFS gets these from Indonesia and the paler C. viridis from the Philippines.

Are they as hardy as any other Damselfish? Are they peaceful? I don’t intend to keep them in big groups, only a single one so fighting won’t be an issue.

How common is uronema among them compared to C. viridis and other Chromis species? If they’re that fragile and susceptible to disease I’ll just stick to Azures. Are Azures the safer option?

Sierra_Bravo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you think they’re worth it if I add a single one to have a dash of green in my tank? My LFS gets these from Indonesia and the paler C. viridis from the Philippines.

Are they as hardy as any other Damselfish? Are they peaceful? I don’t intend to keep them in big groups, only a single one so fighting won’t be an issue.

How common is uronema among them compared to C. viridis and other Chromis species? If they’re that fragile and susceptible to disease I’ll just stick to Azures. Are Azures the safer option?

In terms of hardiness and susceptibility to uronema I have found very little difference in comparison to C. virdis; they have all the same problems and issues. I do agree with you that it is a better-looking fish in subtle ways: the fluorescent stripe near their eyes is brighter and they have a nice subdued pattern on their bodies. Mine has kept a brighter blue color than the C. virdis. In my opinion, if money is not a problem the Black Axil is a nicer choice. Here in the U.S. the difference between the two is about $10 - $15. . .that is if the vendor even realizes they have C. atripectoralis instead of C. virdis.

If you can get one or more past the first six months they do well and are a great addition to the tank, especially in contrast to the pinks and oranges of anthias. I've never seen aggressive behavior like you would a damsel in either species. Mine hang out under the larger acro colonies and keep to themselves except at feeding time.

Like your tag line in your signature!

OP
OP
Zionas

Zionas

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh thanks! Lol. I came up with the tag line at the top of my head but it really reflects me lol. My folks are mainland Chinese and I’m Chinese-Canadian with a hatred for the Chinese government and every other authoritarian regime lol.

I feel you’ve put it very well, that the Black Axils have more of a subtle but nonetheless good look to them. Unfortunately I don’t really have the space to QT and treat prophylactically.

Do the Chromis at your LFS often come with uronema?

I don’t think I can get mine from Fiji or the Pacific Islands. They’ll most likely be from Indonesia.

Sierra_Bravo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh thanks! Lol. I came up with the tag line at the top of my head but it really reflects me lol. My folks are mainland Chinese and I’m Chinese-Canadian with a hatred for the Chinese government and every other authoritarian regime lol.

I feel you’ve put it very well, that the Black Axils have more of a subtle but nonetheless good look to them. Unfortunately I don’t really have the space to QT and treat prophylactically.

Do the Chromis at your LFS often come with uronema?

Unfortunately, I've had uronema appear in each batch of chromis I've purchased, no matter what local fish store or online vendor I've bought them from. Chloroquine phosphate at a higher dose is the best treatment in my experience. If you don't have a QT tank I would be very cautious adding them directly if you have other susceptible species such as Clownfish or Anthias.

OP
OP
Zionas

Zionas

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ouch! I won’t be doing Anthias for this tank but I’ll be doing a pair of Clownfish. It looks like I’ll have to go the Azure Damsel route. Unfortunate but hope they won’t be too bad in terms of aggression. Like their colors too.

How much do you care about having a display FREE of wires, pumps and equipment?

• Want it squeaky clean! Wires be danged!

Votes: 65 43.9%
  • A few things are ok with me!

Votes: 70 47.3%
  • No care at all! Bring it on!

Votes: 13 8.8%
Back