Black Bug Support Thread

Syntax1235

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello, I have an acro tank infested with “black bugs” (halicarid mites) that may or may not have contributed to around 40 acro frag losses over the past 8 months. I say “may or may not” because I can’t say that I’m 100% certain that these bugs are eating my acros; however, there doesn’t seem to be any other explanation. I have troubleshooted for the past 8 months and came up with no other reasonable explanation.

If you have won the lottery and somehow ended up with these bugs in your tank I’d like to know how you dealt with the infestation?

I’m about ready for a full reboot as I’ve tried just about everything and these critters won’t die (I have a thread here detailing my nightmare). I could use some support in at least knowing that I’m not alone.

There are multiple bugs that people call “black bugs”. I’m specifically talking about halicarid mites, smaller than a copepod. Here’s a couple pictures for reference. IMG_3341.jpeg
IMG_3351.png

OP
OP
Syntax1235

Syntax1235

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have you typed 'black bugs' in the search?
Tons of info on this site.

Thread 'Black Bugs - An Acro keepers worst nightmare?' https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/black-bugs-an-acro-keepers-worst-nightmare.493329/

Oh, and good luck!
I think I’ve read that thread at least 5 times, it is not very reassuring. The thread also goes sideways and off topic with other pests.

The one product that seemed to work from the op was “Prime Coral Stop RTN”. I don’t think that product can be purchased anymore.

Last edited:

Dburr1014

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think I’ve read that thread at least 5 times, it is not very reassuring. The thread also goes sideways and off topic with other pests.

The one product that seemed to work from the op was “Prime Coral Stop RTN”. I don’t think that product can be purchased anymore.
Hmmm, some info was good but yes, it does go sideways.

There was this post;
Those look like the ones I had over a year ago. I did a 4x interceptor treatment 3x on them and they have never came back.

coral reeftank

IG:crt_reefs
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Where have you observed these critters? Are they only on acros with poor health or are they on healthy specimens as well? Also, can you describe how your acros died? What were the symptoms that led up to mortality?

Have you found any of these mites directly on the tissue of the acros or only near the bases? Unless these things bore directly into the coral skeleton I would not assume that they are parasites or are directly killing your acros if you have not seen any on live acropora tissue.

OP
OP
Syntax1235

Syntax1235

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Where have you observed these critters?
I have seen them on the rocks, on the edge of dead and live tissue, at the base of corals, on the plug, and under the coral (when removed from frag plug).
Are they only on acros with poor health or are they on healthy specimens as well?
I’ve seen them on all the acros. I have not checked my lps as they are healthy.
Also, can you describe how your acros died? What were the symptoms that led up to mortality?
Corals maintain full polyp extension and start receding from usually the base, but sometimes from the tips or both. The recession can be at the edge of the base or start as a whitish patch near the “stem”.

IMG_3319.jpeg IMG_3372.jpeg IMG_3334.jpeg

Have you found any of these mites directly on the tissue of the acros or only near the bases?
That’s a good question. I don’t remember, it has been a while since I pulled a coral. I’ll do that today and snap some photos.
Unless these things bore directly into the coral skeleton I would not assume that they are parasites or are directly killing your acros if you have not seen any on live acropora tissue.

My first loss about 8 months ago was doing well and then started to recede from a small spot at the base of the coral. Here’s what it looked like before the tank went to hell:
IMG_3259.jpeg

Attachments

• IMG_3368.jpeg
    IMG_3368.jpeg
    100.4 KB · Views: 56

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 42 16.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 16 6.2%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 30 11.7%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 149 58.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 19 7.4%
Back