Black Bugs On Scoly?

Mikedawg

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Noticed beginning of tissue rescission yesterday and just now saw these two black "spots" on bleeding apple. Couldn't tell much about their shape, but they held on to the skeleton when I tried to remove them for closer observation.
20171129_171905.jpg
Could they be the dreaded black bugs, and if so, what are recommendations for eradicating them?

Thanks much; this is one of my favorite corals.

OP
OP
Mikedawg

Mikedawg

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Dipped with Precision Solutions' Coral Dip Solution - only one LFS had - and keeping fingers crossed. If this doesn't work I guess I'll try Bayer solution but sure wish there was a common understanding of what strength is most effective for LPS; I've read of many different concentrations so will go slow.

OP
OP
Mikedawg

Mikedawg

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Dipping is a good idea. The bugs don't look good. Keep us posted on the scoly, that's a nice one. Just start with the lower concentration.
Thanks. Moved two other scolys over and am now waiting to see if these two bugs come out to play later today. I'm getting ready to move these, symphillia and other corals to a new tank and now my plans are on hold.
Interceptor will probably kill them. Maybe the images is over illuminated but the Scoly looks pale, is it receiving too much light.
Thanks. Think the light problem is my cheap phone combined with Biocube 32 leds ; going to move it to Hydra 26s as soon as, if, it is healthy.
I've read about Interceptor; what dilution would you recommend?

Tahoe61

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would have to go back and review the instructions but that is probably easily enough done. If you have crabs or shrimp you want to remove them prior to treatment. Other than risk to crabs and shrimp, Interceptor is a very effective and safe treatment. I have done it twice with excellent results, both times though were for Red Bugs.

OP
OP
Mikedawg

Mikedawg

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would have to go back and review the instructions but that is probably easily enough done. If you have crabs or shrimp you want to remove them prior to treatment. Other than risk to crabs and shrimp, Interceptor is a very effective and safe treatment. I have done it twice with excellent results, both times though were for Red Bugs.
Thanks, have a friend who is a vet so I should be able to get some easily. And, I really like the idea of treating entire tank, not just dipping. I'm concerned about exporting my problem to new tank.

Docdiggy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I used interceptor before for little bugs on my euphyllia. It worked. I pulled my crabs out before hand. Everything else looked normal during treatment. 3 weeks.

OP
OP
Mikedawg

Mikedawg

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I used interceptor before for little bugs on my euphyllia. It worked. I pulled my crabs out before hand. Everything else looked normal during treatment. 3 weeks.
Thanks for information and offer, don't see any right now and so far so good, but I have to believe that there are more bugs hiding out, in egg stage, etc. in my tank. So you treated your entire tank after removing inverts? What dilution did you use? Remove carbon, etc.?

What I really like and benefit from are all the good, practical experiences on Reef2Reef.

Docdiggy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I treated the whole tank. Turbo snail and clam were never effected. I just removed a couple crabs. I think i used about a 1/3 of a pill for roughly 80 gallon volume. No carbon or skimmer. I used that dosage once a week for 3 weeks then carbon, skimmer, and WC. Through out the 3 week time I did a 5 gallon water change per week.

OP
OP
Mikedawg

Mikedawg

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks, exactly what I needed; appreciate your help

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 15 27.8%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 45 83.3%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 8 14.8%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 5 9.3%
  • Other

Votes: 3 5.6%
Back