Black bugs on sps

loglan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I noticed friday night that have black bugs on my sticks. I dip all my corals with bayer but these passed the treatment. Took 3 frags out and dipped in
Coral RX but it also had no effect. Used 1/2 a big dog interceptor pill treatment last night. 130 gallon system. After water change and carbon noticed a few still on a frag. My question is can I do another treatment tonight but this time use a whole pill?

OP
OP
loglan

loglan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yep read it before and again. These things survived a 1/2 big dog pill treatment. I recieved 5 different pm's today about others having these same ones. One vendor thinks these could be the worst pests up to date.

OP
OP
loglan

loglan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Bayer had no effect on them. I dip all my corals in bayer. 1/4 cup bayer to
1 / 2 gallon of water. I must have missed them when rinsing them off.

Eric G

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I do 4 ml of bayer to 10 ml of water it kills them dead. I really don't think you can put in to much bayer but you can put in to little in my experience. Once you have the consistency of milk your good.

Graffiti Spot

Cat and coral maker
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are these black bugs just irritating the corals or are they eating the flesh? Some pictures and description of their actions would be nice. I have heard black bugs are much harder to get rid of as well. They also have been seen on a number of other types of corals other than acropora.

OP
OP
loglan

loglan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Bayer dip didn't kill them. I dip all my new coral with bayer for 15 minutes. Went ahead and used a whole big dog interceptor pill on my 125. Either kill the devils or kill the coral. We will see if any improvement afterwards. No pics to show. I've had red bugs but these are black. Tried dipping a frag with coral rx and they laughed at it. Then put the frag into a cup of water and added a whole small dog interceptor pill to it. In 20 minutes all were dead.

OP
OP
loglan

loglan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They are tough cookies to Crack Twilliard. Just did my water change on 2 tanks and will update how effective the whole pill was in a little while.

OP
OP
loglan

loglan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Irritating them. Which is making them pale with no polyp extension. Some have tissue missing and have lost 3 so far. After dosing a whole pill last night no signs of them today so far. Will see tonight after lights go out. Fingers crossed. Lol.

OP
OP
loglan

loglan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not sure Twilliard but I can report now that the whole big dog pill treatment did nothing g to them. I still see them moving around. Looks like I'm going to take a couple frags out and do a 40% solution of bayer and give it a go.

OP
OP
loglan

loglan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok. So I did 1 cup of water to 1/4 cup bayer and dipped 3 frags for 15 minutes. Every black bug I saw was dead. Corals do not look good at all so we will see how they look tomorrow. If they look good I will dip all corals and put in frag tank for quarintine.

OP
OP
loglan

loglan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Pedoconfuego I can't get any pics. They look the same as red bugs but more of a charcoal or black color. If I can get pics tomorrow I will post them. Sorry.

horseplay

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not sure if I have the same bugs but I do have a lot of them. Very small and move quite fast. Never bothered anything though.

Battlecorals

Aquaculturist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 54 40.0%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 28 20.7%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 48 35.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 3.7%
Back