Black bugs on sps

reef80

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Holly Acro Molly...I won't be able to sleep after seeing pictures of those little boogers...but I did over come them...a user by the name of Laser had them and you can do a search for his thred with some insight also. this is what work for me...they are any acro freaks worst nitemare...but as of today...no signs of them...

IMG_1464.PNG

Brad Vaughn

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I dipped in iodine, interceptor and Bayer. Bayer triple strength for 30 minutes killed them. I don't their life cycle but I did end starting mt tank over after losing more than 50 acro frags. One of the coral vendors I talked to in Ca. said that nobody knows much about them but they think they come out of Aus. I did see the bugs on other corals as well but they weren't affected. Only my acros were chomped on and they did seem to start at the base and work their way up. pipefish seem to eat them.

Brad Vaughn

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Holly Acro Molly...I won't be able to sleep after seeing pictures of those little boogers...but I did over come them...a user by the name of Laser had them and you can do a search for his thred with some insight also. this is what work for me...they are any acro freaks worst nitemare...but as of today...no signs of them...

IMG_1464.PNG
my experience too - was totally devastating and I almost gave up the hobby.

erk

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is interesting. I've had some small, ~1mm black bugs running around on my acros for about two weeks now. Acros are still growing and polyps out. No deaths, not even receding. Bought a Halichoeres melanurus to hopefully eat them. Also have a geometric pygmy hawkfish in the tank that comes out in the evening. I guess they are eating the bugs as there aren't as many as there were 2 weeks ago. Considered nuking the tank or pulling the corals and dipping, but decided to hold out and observe before doing anything drastic.

Littleb

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all. Anyone closer to finding a cure for these. I'm suffering with black pod like bugs on my acros and stuck with what way to turn now

Brad Vaughn

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all. Anyone closer to finding a cure for these. I'm suffering with black pod like bugs on my acros and stuck with what way to turn now
Can you post a pic? You may be able to QT and do Iodine dips until you see them gone. I don't know how long it would take for the DT tank to clear or if the only eat acros. Seems like they can survive a while without them.

Littleb

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMG_5951.PNG
Sorry. Pic is from a vid that won't up load. Those tiny black dots r only a couple of the bugs. There quite quick and u can c the state of the frag which has now been binned

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 64 39.5%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 35 21.6%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 57 35.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 3.7%
Back