Black dots on Clown?

tutmatt3

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey Guys!

Finally added in my first 2x fish into my newly cycled tank today! I noticed this guy, smaller of the 2 - has these dots. They're more apparent in the picture than IRL, but should I be concerned??

The bigger fish (1 in vs this 1.5cm without tail) did punk this guy a few times. Thought maybe they could be bite marks? Or did I just introduce ICH or Black Ich into my new system?

Looking forward to input! He has been extra 'hyper' and when woken up w/ the lights, started swimming up the verticals of the glass & hit the walls a few times, as well as the surface. Was fine before that though.

Thanks again

6NtYwONHG8fRxD0AodiXuflPoxplm.jpg

Diesel

ME=1, CANCER=0.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
BUMP!!

#reefsquad

OP
OP
tutmatt3

tutmatt3

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
BUMP!!
#reefsquad

Thanks!

Here's an earlier blurrier photo, but more natural to how it looks IMO. They're only slightly noticeable. Something about that previous photo (lighting, or ultra clarity) really magnifies it.
Does anyone else think in the previous photo they look more like indents, rather than spots? Maybe he did get bit or scraped against a rock perhaps?

They were 2 of at least 10+ in a small tank @ the store.

6Nu5FitTM82KB4NWkKXx9mWG4O4kD.jpg

Tahoe61

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hypermelenization from coral stings is the likely cause, the other possible cause Black Ich and I will let mel address that. Hypermelenization almost always resolves without intervention.

Diesel

ME=1, CANCER=0.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMO and this has nothing to do with the black spots but can add a stress level to the fish is that the tank looks really new with all that shiny white rock, too new and fresh for the fish.
How long is this system set up?
Any test results?
Did you went through the full cycle?

OP
OP
tutmatt3

tutmatt3

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hypermelenization from coral stings is the likely cause, the other possible cause Black Ich and I will let mel address that. Hypermelenization almost always resolves without intervention.
Mel is awesome! She gave advice in a previous thread of mine as well.

Yeah I keep trying to reference images of those 2, but it's harder to spot than I thought.
It's also limited to that one area.

I'll be sure to grab more HD pics in the morning when the lights go on. Poor lil guy sleeping right now.

Thanks everyone for all the help!

OP
OP
tutmatt3

tutmatt3

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMO and this has nothing to do with the black spots but can add a stress level to the fish is that the tank looks really new with all that shiny white rock, too new and fresh for the fish.
How long is this system set up?
Any test results?
Did you went through the full cycle?
Yes it is a new tank set up.

Did go through full cycle w/ bio-spira & dr tims ammonia (using his fishless guide online. turns out he also only lives 15 mins from me! :O )

But ya, numbers have been great! Did a 50% water change & kept running numbers too, turned out fine.
LFS ran them as well and everything was a go!

I think that rock will look nice and shiny for a while too, since I don't trust the live rock at these LFS. Hoping some snails / frags can help color it up though! In due time

Edit: Details should help too, huh?
55gal, with 2x big HOB filters running 650 gal/hr on the back
protein skimmer hang on IN tank, rated @ 150gal tank
35lb dry rock, 60lb live sand
200w heater @ 78 degrees
2x powerheads@530
current usa orbit marine led

ph 7.8-8
amm - 0
nitrit - 0
nitrate - 20-40
completed 2x week cycle w/ dr tims guide.

Last edited:

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It is possible it is black ich. Clowns have a comparatively thick mucus coat making ich, velvet and black ich a little harder to diagnose sometimes.

Melypr or Humble have more experience with black ich on clowns so they may recommend otherwise, but for now I would just monitor closely. I think it is probable that the marks are stress related from being moved into a new tank. If you start seeing the black marks further back on the fish I would be much more worried.

OP
OP
tutmatt3

tutmatt3

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It is possible it is black ich. Clowns have a comparatively thick mucus coat making ich, velvet and black ich a little harder to diagnose sometimes.

Melypr or Humble have more experience with black ich on clowns so they may recommend otherwise, but for now I would just monitor closely. I think it is probable that the marks are stress related from being moved into a new tank. If you start seeing the black marks further back on the fish I would be much more worried.
Thanks! Appreciate the input

stevo01

R33F!N @DD!CT
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah sorry, i was getting ready for work thismorning and just didnt have time to discuss. Just attached Meridith and also linked the 2 threads together.

Was thinking black ich or hypermelanization.

OP
OP
tutmatt3

tutmatt3

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah sorry, i was getting ready for work thismorning and just didnt have time to discuss. Just attached Meridith and also linked the 2 threads together.

Was thinking black ich or hypermelanization.
No worries, thank you! From what I've seen, hypermelanization goes away on it's own (right?)

If it is black ich, what would be steps / course of action to take?
It was in a tank w/ like 10x others, so would that mean the bigger one will have it soon too?

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OP
OP
tutmatt3

tutmatt3

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the link. I wonder if it is black ich, since when I observe it, these black dots are almost like 'holes' in the skin rather than raised as suggested in the post.
hrmm
I really don't think it is. The odds of having black ich only on the white in that particular spot are pretty low imo. I really think this is just a symptom from the relocation to a new system. Watch it closely and I think it will go away on its own.
That said, I think Prazipro is a great product to keep on hand since it treats both black ich and flukes. I always keep a bottle in the cabinet. The one thing with meds, you need them when you need them. The fish might not like waiting for the delivery man!

OP
OP
tutmatt3

tutmatt3

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok for sure, yeah I'll def see how things go for the lil guy.

I hear ya on the meds... I'm the same way! Finally recovered from pneumonia after a few doc visits when the first didn't even bother to look / observe any of my symptoms.
*coughs are normal they say* smh

OP
OP
tutmatt3

tutmatt3

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMO, it appears to be the start of HLLE, especially with the comment about them being "holes".
Thank you for that info. More for me to research & look into!

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Form or function: Do you consider your rock work to be art or the platform for your coral?

• Primarily art focused.

Votes: 18 7.9%
  • Primarily a platform for coral.

Votes: 40 17.5%
  • A bit of each - both art and a platform.

Votes: 154 67.2%
  • Neither.

Votes: 11 4.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 2.6%
Back