Black ich, mucous cones?

larrysaltisfun

Well-Known Member
View Badges
Joined
Apr 5, 2025
Messages
812
Reaction score
490
Location
outer banks NC
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I recently introduced Watanabe I angel fish to this tank, which were conditioned, which meant treated prazipro by Dr. Reef.

Please take a look at the scopas tang this looks like black ich
but the need confirmation also the sale in Tang has dots on him also but I do not see on his fins and his tail appears to have black spots. Also wondering if this is just mucus cones nobody is flashing.

If I’m dealing with black, am I correct and that prazi is fairly effective.
? This is my display tank, but has never been exposed to prazi before


 
I recently introduced Watanabe I angel fish to this tank, which were conditioned, which meant treated prazipro by Dr. Reef.

Please take a look at the scopas tang this looks like black ich
but the need confirmation also the sale in Tang has dots on him also but I do not see on his fins and his tail appears to have black spots. Also wondering if this is just mucus cones nobody is flashing.

If I’m dealing with black, am I correct and that prazi is fairly effective.
? This is my display tank, but has never been exposed to prazi before


mAY BE STING MARKS FROM ANEMONE OR OTHER CORAL
 
No coral (except for 1 mushroom rock)
or anemones in the tank .

What do you think about the scopas and the sailfin tang. Again, the scope has the black marks and the sailfin mucus cones maybe ? /
 
No coral (except for 1 mushroom rock)
or anemones in the tank .

What do you think about the scopas and the sailfin tang. Again, the scope has the black marks and the sailfin mucus cones maybe ? /
Fish moving fast but I might see ick spots on two fish and maybe the scopas has ick scars from where ick fell off to continue its cycle.

Could be wrong though, but ick these days, so so, common.

If you confirm, only the use of a copper based product in QT and a fallow tank for 50-60 days is tried and true.

All in tank stuff is absolutely unproven so beware.
 
Last edited:
It’s a mess in there I removed 50% of the rock which I think has created a whole lot of stress I don’t think there’s a source for black ich ( Scopas)and I’ve never had cryptocaryon before in this tank (Sailfin)The only two new additions show no signs of Ich from Dr Reef, i’ve had them for 12 weeks( the Watanabes)

If this is stress Would replacing live rock that I removed three weeks ago create a huge ammonia spike? I’m thinking maybe I should restore hiding places for these fish which are used to double the amount of rock here.
 
This looks like Marine Ich to me. The Sailfin makes me think that. If your Fish are scratching, flashing, or coughing I would say maybe Flukes. I would consider Copperpower or Coppersafe in a Hospital Tank.
@Jay Hemdal
 
@W31Olds

Could flukes theoretically take nine months to show up ? I had a CBB in there that I think may have had flukes and died in January and this is the first time I’ve seen any kind of problems from any of the other fish
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT IS THE BIGGEST REASON YOU ATTEND A FRAG SWAP?

  • Finding unusual or hard-to-find corals

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Better prices than buying online

    Votes: 2 33.3%
  • Trading or selling my own frags

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Meeting other reefers

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Learning from vendors and hobbyists

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Seeing corals in person before buying

    Votes: 3 50.0%
  • Supporting the local reefing community

    Votes: 2 33.3%
  • I don’t have frag swaps nearby

    Votes: 1 16.7%
  • Other (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 0 0.0%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new