Black ich on Powdered brown?

Subuchef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey everyone so im qt'ing this fish for my brother and never ran into 'black ich' before, I have been dosing paraguard day to day but might add carbon do a small wc and swap to prazipro.
The only thing is does prazi go bad? I have a bottle that is still only a few months old and it used to be red liquid now its like goldish? I mainly want to know if the prazi is still ok since the bottle says 2020 expiration.. Also Ive been trying to read about black ich but cant find too much info, are the treatments the same as ich? Prazi, FW Dips ect. ?
Heres a pic of the tang, best i could get with a phone camera. (and the white specs are on my dirty qt glass)

thumbnail.jpg

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey everyone so im qt'ing this fish for my brother and never ran into 'black ich' before, I have been dosing paraguard day to day but might add carbon do a small wc and swap to prazipro.
The only thing is does prazi go bad? I have a bottle that is still only a few months old and it used to be red liquid now its like goldish? I mainly want to know if the prazi is still ok since the bottle says 2020 expiration.. Also Ive been trying to read about black ich but cant find too much info, are the treatments the same as ich? Prazi, FW Dips ect. ?
Heres a pic of the tang, best i could get with a phone camera. (and the white specs are on my dirty qt glass)

thumbnail.jpg
I can't say for sure if that is black ich or not, but here is a great read on it.

https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/black-ich-turbellarians.259912/

OP
OP
Subuchef

Subuchef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I read through that post and seems like the normal ich route, just need to make sure this is what he has, the patch of spots I pictured and circled are the only ones I can catch on camera he is pretty covered after looking a lot closer. I'll try to get more defining pictures and update.
Hes eating nori, flake and pellets 2nd day which is nice.

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you could post more pics that would be helpful. I've never seen Prazipro turn goldish. Did you shake up the bottle really good before inspecting it?

OP
OP
Subuchef

Subuchef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Todays my day off and I've been just trying to take pics and observe all day here's a couple but really he doesn't stop enough for my ultra bad quality cellphone camera and dirty glass doesn't help. and as for the prazi always shook before use, vigorously, I can snap a pic if need be? sort of tan gold/transperent
edit: pics didn't post so here's a 2nd try

20171003_121647.jpg

20171002_194634.jpg

OP
OP
Subuchef

Subuchef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
here's a bunch more pics if you look hard you can see he's pretty covered in them, would a fw dip pop them off or just relief? I dosed prazi, read alot saying people they still use year old bottles so.. knock on wood

20171003_163044.jpg

20171003_163043.jpg

20171003_163045.jpg

20171003_163046.jpg

20171003_163047.jpg

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A 5 min FW dip would force a lot of them off him and the fish should look somewhat clear afterwards. But most importantly, it would tell you whether or not he has Black Ich which required additional Prazipro treatment. I can't be 100% certain from your photos. Coincidentally, below is a pic of a Powder Brown with black ich for comparison purposes.

DSCF3019.jpg

4FordFamily

Tang, Angel, and Wrasse Nerd!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That doesn't look like black ich to me -- I can't tell if it has a bunch of whitish worms on it or if the camera has a long "exposure" making ich look that way.

A fw dip would be helpful as said. If many dislodge, you'll know it's time for prazi. Otherwise, probably ich

OP
OP
Subuchef

Subuchef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A 5 min FW dip would force a lot of them off him and the fish should look somewhat clear after wards. But most importantly, it would tell you whether or not he has Black Ich which required additional Prazipro treatment. I can't be 100% certain from your photos. Coincidentally, below is a pic of a Powder Brown with black ich for comparison purposes.

DSCF3019.jpg
that pic looks exactly like what mine has, I'll keep trying for pics and probably do fw dip tomorrow when I get home.

That doesn't look like black ich to me -- I can't tell if it has a bunch of whitish worms on it or if the camera has a long "exposure" making ich look that way.

A fw dip would be helpful as said. If many dislodge, you'll know it's time for prazi. Otherwise, probably ich
all of the white you see is some nuisance algae going ham in my qt ill wipe the glass in the morning and it'll be back in the night time. sorry for the terrible quality of photos, I don't have any cameras old or new,so my mediocre phone has to do.

OP
OP
Subuchef

Subuchef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So i did the FW dip, all went well i hope, but i really dont know what im looking for inthe water, black little dots? The spots on his body really dont seem any reduced at all, so could this mean its something else? Ill put the water into a white container and keep inspecting

Edit: so i was keeping a close eye on him after the bath and maybe it was sand but i saw a few atleast 3 or 4 white spots come from no where on him and before i could snap a pic he twitched and they went away.

Last edited by a moderator:

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The FW dip should have forced some of the worms to dislodge from the fish, so he should look more clear afterwards if this is black ich. Not 100% clear, but you shouldn't see as many little black dots on him - some should be gone.

OP
OP
Subuchef

Subuchef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So honestly i dont see a difference. I wish i could get a pic but my camera doesnt show them even if its the most still shot...Could they just be natural occurring?
Edit: I just dont know, they dont look raised like everyone says they should be, but hes covered in them, no itching, eating like a champ.

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So honestly i dont see a difference. I wish i could get a pic but my camera doesnt show them even if its the most still shot...Could they just be natural occurring?
Edit: I just dont know, they dont look raised like everyone says they should be, but hes covered in them, no itching, eating like a champ.
Fish can have a reaction that looks like black ich if they rub against an anemone or some corals. It could also be some form of stress marking.

OP
OP
Subuchef

Subuchef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was thinking hyper-melanization but this is a QT correct?
yep qt, he was at the lfs for a good while in a solo tank too. I really wish I could photograph it to get more eyes on it.. maybe Ill try someone elses phone

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 60 39.7%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 34 22.5%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 51 33.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 4.0%
Back