Black ich...?

NoobReeefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i noticed a dark spot yesterday or the day before and figured it was an injury cause he likes to hide in a tight crack between the rocks, we’ll I get home from work today and he’s covered with the spots now. It’s hard to tell if the irritations are raised above the skin or flush. It’s more like lines not spots. Hard to tell in the pics, I’ll try to get better pics soon. He’s very active and pretty fat so it don’t seem to be effecting him. No other fish show signs of anything. Added to the DT about 15 days ago. Went thru 16 days of copper, and 15 days of GC/Metro.

3177B952-DBD8-4C7C-A237-296943E3EF7B.jpeg

342C9107-28F9-4A54-B5D4-A8048ED710F0.jpeg

FBF4C208-2184-4573-A7C4-65E2C08571BA.jpeg

2966C060-425E-41DA-BB59-BAC3124F4CDE.png

0917D3B2-6C1D-4CD7-AA99-4E22E1CC61CD.png

C884458D-46BF-46FD-BAE9-565722AAB8A5.png

Frtdrmrose7

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I can see some on his tail in the 2nd to last pic. I would agree that it is most likely black ich from what the pictures tell.
Did you treat the GC/ Metro in the water or food for 15 days? I would do a FW dip to get a better confirmation and to offer him some relief then treat with Prazipro

OP
OP
N

NoobReeefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I can see some on his tail in the 2nd to last pic. I would agree that it is most likely black ich from what the pictures tell.
Did you treat the GC/ Metro in the water or food for 15 days? I would do a FW dip to get a better confirmation and to offer him some relief then treat with Prazipro
I did GC/metro in water and food

OP
OP
N

NoobReeefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here is a write up with pics on black ich. Look at the pics and compare to what you see.

https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/black-ich-turbellarians.259912/
yea i read that and it kinda looks like the pics but then again it doesn't...looking at all my fish now a few of them look like they got regular ich but its only on their fins...i think maybe my eyes are playing tricks on me...well see. i guess i should go get a bigger QT tank just incase it is then i can qt em all in the same tank.....uuuugghhhhh

Frtdrmrose7

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
yea i read that and it kinda looks like the pics but then again it doesn't...looking at all my fish now a few of them look like they got regular ich but its only on their fins...i think maybe my eyes are playing tricks on me...well see. i guess i should go get a bigger QT tank just incase it is then i can qt em all in the same tank.....uuuugghhhhh

Are the spots on the other fish raised like granules of salt ? How many spots? More than you can count? Can you post pics?

OP
OP
N

NoobReeefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are the spots on the other fish raised like granules of salt ? How many spots? More than you can count? Can you post pics?
ill never be able to get pics....some are raised some aint. the royal gamma and naso has had a few spots for a week or more but the gamma seems like it has more and I'm seeing it on the hogfish and yellow tang now as well...ig guess 8-12 spots per fish. im gonna ride it out for a week or so but be ready to pull em and qt if necessary.
regarding the black ich is 1 formalin dip good enough?....do i have to treat all the fish?
i just added like 30 snails from reef cleaners the other day maybe that's how this came in...who knows...annoying lol

Frtdrmrose7

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
ill never be able to get pics....some are raised some aint. the royal gamma and naso has had a few spots for a week or more but the gamma seems like it has more and I'm seeing it on the hogfish and yellow tang now as well...ig guess 8-12 spots per fish. im gonna ride it out for a week or so but be ready to pull em and qt if necessary.
regarding the black ich is 1 formalin dip good enough?....do i have to treat all the fish?
i just added like 30 snails from reef cleaners the other day maybe that's how this came in...who knows...annoying lol

Yes, all fish will need treatment and so will the DT. If it’s black ich you can use Prazipro if it’s ich, etc you’ll need to go fallow for 76 days

OP
OP
N

NoobReeefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
now the naso is showing signs of the black spots....im gonna dose the display with Prazipro this afternoon..hopefully i have enough

Frtdrmrose7

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
im trying to get pics but the fish never wanna sit still when i got the camera.....i just dosed Prazipro to the display, is 1 treatment good enough?

For Turbellians (spelling?)

Dose Prazipro once at 1 teaspoon per 20G and wait 5-7 days then do a 25% WC and redose again.

OP
OP
N

NoobReeefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just got a 40g breeder so I’m ready to Qt all fish together if they do have regular ich

Frtdrmrose7

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just got a 40g breeder so I’m ready to Qt all fish together if they do have regular ich

I just reread the post and are you seeing raised white spots that resemble sugar or sand stuck to the fish?

OP
OP
N

NoobReeefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
the naso and bristle tooth definitely have some black spots...the naso is more like dots and the bristle tooth is more like lines an tiny blotches. the bristle tooth has em all over his body, its crazy....
the yellow tang, naso, royal gamma, and hog fish have tiny little white dots on their tail and fins, most are like shiny little speckles and not raised (maybe 1-2 are raised) the naso has had these white spots for weeks and they never dropped off so i doubt its ich but who knows.
none of the fish seem effected, they are all super active and eating good.
i dosed Prazipro for the black spots and got a 40g breeder with a big hob just incase they do come down with normal white ich....i just wanna be ready incase it pops up, im so busy with work i don't have time to deal with gathering up everything so i just got it all on my day off. im gonna fill it up but wait to get it heated up and run the HOB

Frtdrmrose7

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would strongly recommend a FW dip with the varying types of spots you are describing this could be a crucial tool in identifying the issue and getting you on the right track

OP
OP
N

NoobReeefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would strongly recommend a FW dip with the varying types of spots you are describing this could be a crucial tool in identifying the issue and getting you on the right track
I agree but I’ll never catch them. The tank is too big with too much rock work for them to hide in. This is the exact reason why I qt’d all my gosh before the display but I either failed or them dang snails brought this in.

Frtdrmrose7

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree but I’ll never catch them. The tank is too big with too much rock work for them to hide in. This is the exact reason why I qt’d all my gosh before the display but I either failed or them dang snails brought this in.

You dosed Prazi in the tank correct?

Managing real reef risks: Do you pay attention to the dangers in your tank?

• I pay a lot of attention to reef risks.

Votes: 161 43.5%
  • I pay a bit of attention to reef risks.

Votes: 128 34.6%
  • I pay minimal attention to reef risks.

Votes: 56 15.1%
  • I pay no attention to reef risks.

Votes: 20 5.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 1.4%
Back