What could this be if it’s not ich??

Aronsaquarium

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It’s almost impossible to get a picture of a damsal lol, so here’s the best I can do.

He’s got 2 spots on his fin.
All other fish are totally fine, and he’s not flashing or anything either.

This tank has been in copper for the last 25 days at .55. And I started taking out the copper yesterday.
Currently it’s about 0.2.

The spot on the top of his fin he had yesterday, I think even for a couple days, but forsure yesterday.
And today the bottom dot added.

He’s an aggressive BIG guy.. so he’s recovering from several scratches from the wars he starts lol

I just wanna make sure I’m not taking copper out and getting ich. Which doesn’t quite make sense to me being that there was copper at .55 yesterday in the tank

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
It’s almost impossible to get a picture of a damsal lol, so here’s the best I can do.

This tank has been in copper for the last 25 days at .55. And I started taking out the copper yesterday.

The spot on the top of his fin he had yesterday, I think even for a couple days, but forsure yesterday.

He’s an aggressive BIG guy.. so he’s recovering from several scratches from the wars he starts lol

I just wanna make sure I’m not taking copper out and getting ich. Which doesn’t quite make sense to me being that there was copper at .55 yesterday in the tank
This is lymphocystis which is a condition and not disease. Often its associated with water quality issue as simple as elevated ammonia or nitrate and can be that of water from LFS and not yours. Assure to provide Good water quality monitored by a reliable test kit and feed nutritious food with fats such as LRS nano frenzy and mysis shrimp.

OP
OP
A

Aronsaquarium

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
adding to the above..
I think there was ich in the tank in the first week of November.
I’ve treated the tank with copper since November 5th.

But being that fish were added in the interim, I’m saying 25 days of full dose copper with nothing added

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0

Apologies, I can't see the video - pictures under white like would be great - and a video under white light. The usual copper period is 30 days - so it may be you ended early - or it's something else.

OP
OP
A

Aronsaquarium

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is lymphocystis which is a condition and not disease. Often it’s associated with water quality issue as simple as elevated ammonia or nitrate and can be that of water from LFS and not yours. Assure to provide Good water quality monitored by a reliable test kit and feed nutritious food with fats such as LRS nano frenzy and mysis shrimp.
Thanks a million @vetteguy53081
I was getting scared!

I have coppersafe now on hand for worst case. And taking out the cupramine with polyfilter at the moment.

That should also help clean the tank I assume

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
adding to the above..
I think there was ich in the tank in the first week of November.
I’ve treated the tank with copper since November 5th.

But being that fish were added in the interim, I’m saying 25 days of full dose copper with nothing added
If @vetteguy53081 thinks it lymphoystis - it most probably is - since he can probably see the picture

OP
OP
A

Aronsaquarium

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Apologies, I can't see the video - pictures under white like would be great - and a video under white light. The usual copper period is 30 days - so it may be you ended early - or it's something else.
I’m being extra cautious with my writing..
The copper was in there for 2.5 months.
But the last fish was added on december 31st which is 31 days before I started to remove the copper.

Having said that, I lowered the copper to .4/.45 for a few days in the first week of January while I was dosing prazi for a flukes issue I had.
So I’m counting it as 25 days for over 0.5 copper even though it was technically therapeutic for the full time..

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
But the last fish was added on december 31st which is 31 days before me stating to remove the copper.

Having said that, I lowered the copper to .4/.45 for a few days in the first week of January while I was dosing prazi for a flukes issue I had.
So I’m counting it as 25 days for over 0.5 copper even though it was technically therapeutic for the full time..
I assume you are using cupramine. If so, stay close to the .5 for effectiveness as being an ionic treatment requires full dosage. Lowering often allows disease to take hold of a given fish

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
But the last fish was added on december 31st which is 31 days before I started to remove the copper.

But you can't do that. If you lower the level, (Like you did in January) - you have to start over a new 30 day period. So - it's unclear when you did it - but your new 30 day period starts when you got back up to 0.5.

OP
OP
A

Aronsaquarium

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I assume you are using cupramine. If so, stay close to the .5 for effectiveness as being an ionic treatment requires full dosage. Lowering often allows disease to take hold of a given fish
Just want to make sure, the dots o was talking about is on his right fin (left from our vantage point)
Just making sure you were looking at that and not on the top of his body.. because that’s an injury

Thanks a million!

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Just want to make sure, the dots o was talking about is on his right fin (left from our vantage point)
Just making sure you were looking at that and not on the top of his body.. because that’s an injury

Thanks a million!
Positively lymphocystis

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Most likely, those are broken fin rays. I don't see the 3D looking, angular growths of Lymphocystis. There are also some Microsporidians that create white cysts in fish that can look like this. I don't see anything that is in immediate need of additional treatment here.

Jay

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 12.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 7.1%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 23 14.8%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 89 57.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 11 7.1%
Back