Hippo Small Black Pimples

linzlou4

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
weird Hippo issue

A couple days ago I noticed these strange bumps on one side. I saw Jay’s posts about mucous being on only one side but the photos don’t look the same to me. They honestly looked like a human skin irritated pimple with a slight discoloration around the base, but all basically the same color as the body. The longest clip is from Monday prior to treatment.

I was able to catch and isolate, FW dip, and a couple other dips and he’s still alive with air stones two days later. I checked yesterday and the pimples actually reduced down to two.

I’ve read through as many of Jay’s amazing posts and photos as I can, I’ve showed the photo around my LFS, a maintenance guy and everyone says the same thing “that’s odd”. Here’s the photo and clip from yesterday, first day, and today.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
weird Hippo issue

A couple days ago I noticed these strange bumps on one side. I saw Jay’s posts about mucous being on only one side but the photos don’t look the same to me. They honestly looked like a human skin irritated pimple with a slight discoloration around the base, but all basically the same color as the body. The longest clip is from Monday prior to treatment.

I was able to catch and isolate, FW dip, and a couple other dips and he’s still alive with air stones two days later. I checked yesterday and the pimples actually reduced down to two.

I’ve read through as many of Jay’s amazing posts and photos as I can, I’ve showed the photo around my LFS, a maintenance guy and everyone says the same thing “that’s odd”. Here’s the photo and clip from yesterday, first day, and today.
Please post pics or video under white light intensity to accurately assess what you are describing
Please also mention if you have anemones and/or urchins in the tank

OP
OP
L

linzlou4

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
weird Hippo issue

Please post pics or video under white light intensity to accurately assess what you are describing
Please also mention if you have anemones and/or urchins in the tank
No nems big enough to reach them, just one the size of a nickel tucked away.

BUT YOU MAY BE ONTO SOMETHING WITH THE URCHIN! I just added a new one the day before I noticed the bumps.

IMG_2829.jpeg IMG_2820.jpeg

Attachments

• IMG_2747.mov
    50 MB

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
No nems big enough to reach them, just one the size of a nickel tucked away.

BUT YOU MAY BE ONTO SOMETHING WITH THE URCHIN! I just added a new one the day before I noticed the bumps.
And I do see urchin punctures. Hippos are nosy and likely try to approach the urchin in general or go after food particles and got the small punctures. These will heal on their own, However keep an eye on areas for hraling and not becoming red or sore

OP
OP
L

linzlou4

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Now having searched for urchin injuries I’ve found a few of Jay’s posts about them. My two new working theories are urchin injury or HLLE given the slight graying on the belly.

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Now having searched for urchin injuries I’ve found a few of Jay’s posts about them. My two new working theories are urchin injury or HLLE given the slight graying on the belly.
I don’t think the graying belly is HLLE, you’ll see that more around the face and eyes and down the fish’s side.
These do look like urchin stings. There is a disease caused by turbellarian worms that also causes black spots, but those spots are a lot smaller, and usually more numerous.

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
To the OP - thanks for the picture - note it's usually (like 99.9%) better to take a picture and or video under white light - with no need to take the fish out of water. It's probably easier to diagnose things, and less stressful for the fish. Agree with the others - looks like stings/punctures with some inflammation around

OP
OP
L

linzlou4

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don’t think the graying belly is HLLE, you’ll see that more around the face and eyes and down the fish’s side.
These do look like urchin stings. There is a disease caused by turbellarian worms that also causes black spots, but those spots are a lot smaller, and usually more numerous.
Thank you so much Jay! I feel confident now to put him back in the DT

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 98 76.0%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 15 11.6%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 8 6.2%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 2 1.6%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

• I don’t have any fish in my tank.

• Other.

Back