Black Leopard Wrasse

Nano man

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello all,
I am acclimating a black leopard wrasse and typically they don’t ship very well. So this is what I am facing. He is drip acclimating breathing heavy and upside down. Was moving a bit but has slowed down. Could it be a swim bladder issue from shipping? Please help!

C544FFA2-1C2C-4BAA-BC63-FFB34FAA382D.jpeg

SaltyT

Wrasse obsessed!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
She looks very weak and malnourished. She likely hasn't eaten since collection. Best thing you can do for her now is try to reduce her stress. Lights out on the tank and hope she recovers from the shipping stress. Is she going into a tank by herself? Any sand in it?

OP
OP
Nano man

Nano man

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi,
She has gone into a tank with sand and with other tank mates she dashed behind the rocks and hopefully dug in. Hopefully it’s not a swimbladder issue. The shop said she was eating flakes and mysis.

SaltyT

Wrasse obsessed!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Best of luck! Keep us posted on how she does.

Thespammailaccount

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello all,
I am acclimating a black leopard wrasse and typically they don’t ship very well. So this is what I am facing. He is drip acclimating breathing heavy and upside down. Was moving a bit but has slowed down. Could it be a swim bladder issue from shipping? Please help!

C544FFA2-1C2C-4BAA-BC63-FFB34FAA382D.jpeg
When fish are shipped ammonia builds up. As soon as you open the bag to air this ammonia becomes toxic. When you receive a fish that has been shipped just float the bad to accumulate to temp then immediately release into the tank. If you pick a fish up from a LFS then you can drip accumulate

Last edited:

Hincapiej4

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When fish are shipped ammonia builds up. As soon as you open the bag to air this ammonia becomes toxic. When you receive a fish that has been shipped just float the bad to accumulate to temp then immediately release into the tank. If you pick a fish up from a LFS then you can drop accumulate

I disagree....just put ammonia neut in and drip acclimate as normal.....

Thespammailaccount

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I disagree....just put ammonia neut in and drip acclimate as normal.....
Never liked the idea of fish in a small volume of water with waste at deadly levels even with neutralizer. I consider best practice is to ask the vendor what the perimeters are of the tank the fish is in then match tank to those levels and immediately plop and drop

Fishurama

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here is my thread on my ornate leopard wrasse, that was "playing dead" scraped up and had a huge gouge in her. Lived through it all this is what i did.
My ornate leopard wrasse thread

When fish are shipped ammonia builds up. As soon as you open the bag to air this ammonia becomes toxic. When you receive a fish that has been shipped just float the bad to accumulate to temp then immediately release into the tank. If you pick a fish up from a LFS then you can drip accumulate

This is what i also do. If it's shipped i temp acclimate then release, if its from the shop ill drip. Ammonia builds up insanely fast when you open the bag. Then dumping chemicals in the bag will stress the fish more, its best to get the fish out ASAP IMO as well. Especially in the case of fish like Leopard wrasse, dragonets,and fish that require a specialized diet, ship terribly, or other special need.

OP
OP
Nano man

Nano man

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for all the help reefers!
One thing I can say is that there is no one right way to do anything in this hobby!
One way might work better for one person and another way for someone else.
I typically acclimate within 30 minutes. Float bag for 10 minutes then drip for 15 or use half a cup tank water every 5 minutes for 15 miutes if acclimating more than one specimen as I did with the other fish that came in which was a radiant wrasse!
Radiant wrasse is doing great but I want to update on the black leopard! It seems she is a fighter and is chilling out in the upper right hand area of the tank and is actively eating copepods off the glass and rocks and hitting hikari mysis when I feed!
Fingers crossed on her though as I know black leopards are fragile and hopefully she starts to explore the rest of the tank, lights are at 10% for 2 days and go back to normal tomorrow.
Will update again with pics.
Thanks

Karling

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I received a sixline from a big distributor online DOA. I was so bummed. I wont be doing that anymore.. only fish from a LFS from here on out. Support Local!!!

OP
OP
Nano man

Nano man

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I love to support local as well but a lot of times they don’t have what I am looking for and special orders have no guarantee on arrival dates..........

Karling

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I love to support local as well but a lot of times they don’t have what I am looking for and special orders have no guarantee on arrival dates..........
I cant relate... but they do get them. I am quickly learning patience is key. Also your LFS may QT for you, you cant beat that! Go in and check progress, ask to feed, etc.

BlennyTime

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If something is a special order, I’d rather have it shipped straight to my house than to the LFS. Especially if they try to acclimate it. The fewer transitions to get into the tank, the better IMO...

How much do you care about having a display FREE of wires, pumps and equipment?

• Want it squeaky clean! Wires be danged!

Votes: 79 44.9%
  • A few things are ok with me!

Votes: 81 46.0%
  • No care at all! Bring it on!

Votes: 16 9.1%
Back