Black Leopard

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I cannot keep this fish. I have a few meleagris, a bipartitus, even a lapillus - no problem - but the black eludes me. I have tried on three separate occasions, and each time the same thing happens. Fish comes in, hides for a few days, then comes out. Usually takes a day or two to start eating, but shortly eats with enthusiasm. But then, over the course of a month or two it gradually loses weight and then fails to come out of the sand. No signs of any mouth damage. I have assumed internal parasites and treated with prazipro, no help. Plus, the fish came to me at a healthy weight even if/though it had parasites!! What gives? Is there something quirky about diet that I have missed? Anyone have any clever ideas?

U

User1

View Badges
Never had any but they are pretty. LA says they do best in groups of three.

Janci

Staghorns will prevail
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had a similar experience.
Took a black leopard from another tank that was closing.
He had the wrasse for several months without problem.
In my tank it did well the first weeks. Eating, swimming, sniffling around and diving in the sand to find his bed.
After a while noticed it getting thinner and eventually disappear to never see it again.

My best guess is that these need sufficient pods to keep their weight and good shape, besides the additional hand feeding.
I had live rock and pods, but those must have gone depleted quickly.

I now removed the sand so I will not try that wrasse family soon again.

maroun.c

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
are you talking about he negrosensis? I would say it's most likely the bipartitus stressing it to death. mine literally didn't allow one I added a few days back out yet it chases it non stop till it hides in the sand.

OP
OP
ca1ore

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've wondered about pods. Negrosensis were never in the same tank with any of the other leopards, so that's not it.

eatbreakfast

Fish Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have found that there is a "sweet" size for them. To small or too big and they never seem to recover from transport.

Perhaps a prazi resistant type of internal parasite?

I have also found some Anampses to be sensitive to kh swings, maybe that? I dunno.

OP
OP
ca1ore

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have found that there is a "sweet" size for them. To small or too big and they never seem to recover from transport.

For the black specifically, or all leopards?

MIKE NY

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I always try to get my leopards and Tamarins on the smaller side. They just seem to acclimate better for me....plus I can keep them longer usually in the 5-7 year range. I have a “grow out” tank that I keep them until they are large enough for the DT. I even keep a ball of chaeto in with them for the pods.

OP
OP
ca1ore

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Black and meleagris more than others.

Then the 'cause' remains elusive LOL, because I have had very little trouble with the meleagris - well, other than their propensity to want to kill each other. Perhaps just bad luck.

OrionN

Anemones
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got 4 Black Leopard. Only one live past 1 week. She is doing great now. I think it is important to get them in situation that they are stress free and have enough pods for them so that they get use to eat frozen and pellets.
BlackLeopard2018101503.jpg

maroun.c

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've been looking for years. Got one that died in shipping and a couple that didn't make it past quarantine. Scored a nice looking one which made it through quarantine and ate rather easy. He also made it past a tough introduction with some dominant wrasses in the tank

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 97 76.4%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 15 11.8%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 8 6.3%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 1 0.8%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 2 1.6%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

• Other.

Back