Black long nose tang with swim bladder issue.

jricheson

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a black long nose tang that is eating like a pig but has developed what appears to be a swim bladder issue. I've read a bunch of stuff here and on google and it seems like time with fix this, if it is fixable. It is still eating great it's just harder for it to get to the food, so I have been feeding a little extra. It has difficulty staying level in the water column and tends to lean to one side. Is there anything else I can or should do? I really didn't want to take it out of the tank and put into quarantine just because of the aggression when I add it back from the other tangs, as well as the stress of being put into quarantine. The biggest thing is it is eating fine. I feed 2-4 times a day(depending on work schedule) with two sheets of nori in the tank as well.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
I have a black long nose tang that is eating like a pig but has developed what appears to be a swim bladder issue. I've read a bunch of stuff here and on google and it seems like time with fix this, if it is fixable. It is still eating great it's just harder for it to get to the food, so I have been feeding a little extra. It has difficulty staying level in the water column and tends to lean to one side. Is there anything else I can or should do? I really didn't want to take it out of the tank and put into quarantine just because of the aggression when I add it back from the other tangs, as well as the stress of being put into quarantine. The biggest thing is it is eating fine. I feed 2-4 times a day(depending on work schedule) with two sheets of nori in the tank as well.
Sounds like a bouyancy issue and agree eating is a good sign. Often if you are feeding flakes or pellets and it comes to the tank surface to grab these foods, it will also take in air. This is likely gas in the digestive system it will has to expel on its own if so. Is it pooping normally?

OP
OP
J

jricheson

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sounds like a bouyancy issue and agree eating is a good sign. Often if you are feeding flakes or pellets and it comes to the tank surface to grab these foods, it will also take in air. This is likely gas in the digestive system it will has to expel on its own if so. Is it pooping normally?
I think it is pooping. After changing out the nori and feeding some homemade frozen food it seems to be swimming a little better then it was last night and early this morning. Its hard to tell if it pooped but it did appear to a little while ago that it did.

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think it is pooping. After changing out the nori and feeding some homemade frozen food it seems to be swimming a little better then it was last night and early this morning. Its hard to tell if it pooped but it did appear to a little while ago that it did.

Can you post a video under white lights? There are positive and negative buoyancy issues, plus a couple of things that mimic those, hopefully a video will help give us better direction.

Jay

OP
OP
J

jricheson

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can you post a video under white lights? There are positive and negative buoyancy issues, plus a couple of things that mimic those, hopefully a video will help give us better direction.

Jay
I'll get on that as soon as the whites start coming on. Just over the last couple hours since I posted I've noticed a pretty big improvement. Still a little bit of a buoyancy issue but nothing like it was when I first posted.

OP
OP
J

jricheson

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Jay
Here is a quick video I just took.

Attachments

• IMG_2027.mov
    25.7 MB
OP
OP
J

jricheson

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks like it may not be working. Here is another one.

Attachments

• 70992158292__99BA60A4-B148-4DD0-999D-9E848B2700D2.MOV
    1.3 MB

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here is a quick video I just took.

Yes - the fish has some positive buoyancy. I can sometimes tell if it arises from the stomach or the air bladder. In this case, I'm just not sure. Since it seems to be improving, and since there isn't any treatment for this in either case, time will tell.

However, is that just an artifact of the video, but I can see white spots on its body and fins - sure looks like ich!

Jay

OP
OP
J

jricheson

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes - the fish has some positive buoyancy. I can sometimes tell if it arises from the stomach or the air bladder. In this case, I'm just not sure. Since it seems to be improving, and since there isn't any treatment for this in either case, time will tell.

However, is that just an artifact of the video, but I can see white spots on its body and fins - sure looks like ich!

Jay
Thank you for the second set of eyes. It is improving compared to what it was last night and this morning. There is a small bout of ick on it, which i find odd. I just added a Gem, Achilles, and the Black to an established tank...450g display. All three went through quarantine. It has tangs in it already and I kind of expected the Achilles to break out in it, but nope. The long nose has a small amount of it. Been feeding a lot and everyone is getting along. It's not shy and eats like a pig. Thank you for taking a look!

Keeping it clean: Have you used a filter roller?

• I currently use a filter roller.

Votes: 66 35.1%
  • I don’t currently use a filter roller, but I have in the past.

Votes: 6 3.2%
  • I have never used a filter roller, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 48 25.5%
  • I have never used a filter roller and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 60 31.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.3%
Back