Black mesh cover casting grid shadow, switch to clear?

ReeFish1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey everyone,
So I have a single AI prime 16HD and a DD Jumpguard over my nano but the black mesh casts a shadow in a grid pattern with some colour separation.
I'm thinking about swapping to a clear mesh but wanted to ask if anyone else had done the same to fix this issue? Thanks
20210715_151925.jpg

(I also tried an add-on diffuser which eliminates the grid pattern and colour seperation but I didn't like the reduced spread on the AI prime and overall dimmer look.)

T_BONE

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Clear screen/mesh will def make a difference. I had black when I first did mine and had the same issue. Clear and a finer mesh should correct. Happy reefing!

landlubber

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
hmm... i must be an anomaly here as i used clear mesh and found it still casted a grid shadow onto my substrate. perhaps not as bad but still very noticeable.

T_BONE

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a fine clear mesh and you can’t tell the difference with it slid on or off the top of my tank. My radions are about 6-8” above the mesh tho. May have something to do with it.

OP
OP
ReeFish1

ReeFish1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sounds like its worth a shot, I'll try out the Red Sea clear mesh, thanks T_BONE and aabjones888! Landlubber, hopefully it works better for me but even just slightly softer shadows would be good. I'll try to remember to post back with a photo of the new mesh, in case it helps anyone else.

OP
OP
ReeFish1

ReeFish1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The clear mesh arrived and unfortunately it made no difference to the shadow pattern.

I suspect the the most important thing to is to have more than one light intersecting (or use a diffuser).

So I've gone back to a 3D printed AI prime diffuser with the clear, prismatic diffuser. However I found that having the spiked lenses facing up actually gave better spread while still diffusing the light. Spikes down (which I see most often recommended) seems to focus the light.

With this setup I have none of the criss-cross shadow pattern on my sand bed and diffused light with good with spread.

albano

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have both clear and black mesh covers on my tanks. I had switched to the clear a few years ago based on a thread somewhere that mentioned how the black blocks?/absorbs? some light.
I’m now noticing that the clear plastic mesh is disintegrating, apparently because of salt splash/spray that was not cleaned off.
Have to check what other options are available.

Back