Black reef safe paint?

Reefn34

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a used tank that I cleaned, but the only dirty part is the curved black overflow box. Algae will not come off of it even with vinegar and scraping.

is it possible to paint over the black acrylic with black paint? I have black latex paint that I used on the outside of the tank, but is there a way to paint inside of the tank?

mfinn

likes zoanthids
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
My first thought would be to use muriatic acid, but it's easy to burn yourself if it splashes. Yeah, I've used it, and even gotten small burns. Fumes are a bigger concern.
As far as paint, I've used Krylon Fusion spray paint for plastic with decent results.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
I have a used tank that I cleaned, but the only dirty part is the curved black overflow box. Algae will not come off of it even with vinegar and scraping.

is it possible to paint over the black acrylic with black paint? I have black latex paint that I used on the outside of the tank, but is there a way to paint inside of the tank?
i would not as most paint contain petroleum product- Reason you dont see it done

mfinn

likes zoanthids
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
If you do a search here on R2R, you will find alot of threads where people have used a spray paint.
Back before colored pvc was available spray painting pvc pipe used inside tanks was pretty common.

TokenReefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you do a search here on R2R, you will find alot of threads where people have used a spray paint.
Back before colored pvc was available spray painting pvc pipe used inside tanks was pretty common.
Krylon fusion; pretty sure it doesn't come off once it cures; part of it's whole selling point ;)

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 102 75.6%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 15 11.1%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 8 5.9%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 3 2.2%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 3 2.2%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

Votes: 2 1.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.5%
Back