• Other - (explain in thread)

Votes: 19 2.6%

• Total voters

BigAl07

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm getting back into Reefing after 1/2 decade break. I'm planning to make my Display Tank something different and WOW if possible. I've been looking into some high quality BLACK Sand. I see where you've got to be careful because some of it has high levels of iron/ie Magnetic.

I fully realize that I'll not get the "reflective" qualities of light colored sand but that's fine with me. I'm looking for something to possibly help the corals etc POP color and look different than most other Reef Tanks you see around.

So what are your thoughts and even better first hand experiences with Black Sand in a full blown reef tank?

Ready, set, GO . . .

WV Reefer

I do what I want!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm getting back into Reefing after 1/2 decade break. I'm planning to make my Display Tank something different and WOW if possible. I've been looking into some high quality BLACK Sand. I see where you've got to be careful because some of it has high levels of iron/ie Magnetic.

I fully realize that I'll not get the "reflective" qualities of light colored sand but that's fine with me. I'm looking for something to possibly help the corals etc POP color and look different than most other Reef Tanks you see around.

So what are your thoughts and even better first hand experiences with Black Sand in a full blown reef tank?

Ready, set, GO . . .

I’ve never used it in a marine tank but I do like the way it looks.

Diesel

ME=1, CANCER=0.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just remember that white sand will reflect the light a bit for your low laying corals.
Further more it looks way better than any other color.

cristata.reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have the black kinda gravel stuff and I dont like it since it's not completely black. About 80% is black aragonite but 10% is a muddy brown color, 5% ochre-ish (same as a brick), and the other 5% are tiny white sand particles that make it look very inconsistent. If you're going for an all black look make sure it's actually sand unless you like the freshwater tank look (*shudders)

40B Knasty

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a black and white aragonite. I love the look. Decent price. It seems to help with the stability of pH.

Caribsea_African_Cichlid_Mix_Sand_20_LB_Bag__28542.1443560456.500.750.gif

hdsoftail1065

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My wife has CaribSea Hawaiian Black in hers with no negitive issues to report. It doesn't reflect the light like white sand as mentioned but the corals and colors really pop. Her tank is a 32, I could almost picture black sand in a larger tank full of corals and think it would be stunning. I'm running white in mine, it seems brighter and has a more of a crisp look which is what I was looking for. It boils down to what is astetically pleasing to you, imo there isn't a right or wrong way to go.

OP
OP
BigAl07

BigAl07

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have the black kinda gravel stuff and I dont like it since it's not completely black. About 80% is black aragonite but 10% is a muddy brown color, 5% ochre-ish (same as a brick), and the other 5% are tiny white sand particles that make it look very inconsistent. If you're going for an all black look make sure it's actually sand unless you like the freshwater tank look (*shudders)

Yes I'm definitely going for an ALL black look. I want it to be as consistent as possible and the blacker the better.

OP
OP
BigAl07

BigAl07

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My wife has CaribSea Hawaiian Black in hers with no negitive issues to report. It doesn't reflect the light like white sand as mentioned but the corals and colors really pop. Her tank is a 32, I could almost picture black sand in a larger tank full of corals and think it would be stunning. I

That's exactly what I'm going to shoot for. I'm not worried about light reflection up from the sand bed. I want the corals and inhabitants to really stand out and I believe a black sand bed will help reach this goal.

40B Knasty

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's exactly what I'm going to shoot for. I'm not worried about light reflection up from the sand bed. I want the corals and inhabitants to really stand out and I believe a black sand bed will help reach this goal.
Paint the back of your tank black, black sand, and use LEDs or a T5 ATI BLUE Plus w/ a Reef Bright bar. That will give you a lot of pop.

OP
OP
BigAl07

BigAl07

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Paint the back of your tank black, black sand, and use LEDs or a T5 ATI BLUE Plus w/ a Reef Bright bar. That will give you a lot of pop.

Black Sand, Black Back (already part of the plans) and it will be lighted with Xr15 G4's. So I think we're on the same page here :)

Thanks for your input.

40B Knasty

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Black Sand, Black Back (already part of the plans) and it will be lighted with Xr15 G4's. So I think we're on the same page here :)

Thanks for your input.
If you decide to paint it, because those backdrops fall off, bubble up, or get salt creep behind it. Make sure is a non toxic paint. Use a sponge roller and sponge brush for the trim. Costs like $12 to do the whole thing.

WitsNWrasse

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I freakin LOVE black sand. I think if you are getting corals that the colors just POP so nicely. I’ve only used black sand and can never picture myself using anything else. I had it in my 120, and I have the black in all three of my tanks now.

I have noticed that people either love the black or hate it, really isn’t an in between.

OP
OP
BigAl07

BigAl07

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I freakin LOVE black sand. I think if you are getting corals that the colors just POP so nicely. I’ve only used black sand and can never picture myself using anything else. I had it in my 120, and I have the black in all three of my tanks now.

I have noticed that people either love the black or hate it, really isn’t an in between.

Thanks for your comment. I agree that most people are clearly on one side of the fence or the other. I'm sort of in the middle because I tend to like both options. I've always used white sand but this system is most likely going to be BLACK sand.

bobbyM

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I used Flourite black sand for freshwater tanks in my old reef. Loved it, but it was magnetic.

redfishbluefish

Stay Positive, Stay Productive
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The only reason I would never use black sand is that every brand I've seen has a ferromagnetic component that is attracted to you magnetic glass cleaner. You pick up these bits and now scratch your glass (and if you have plexiglass, forget about it!)

Last edited:

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I see where you've got to be careful because some of it has high levels of iron/ie Magnetic.
It's not just high levels of iron you need to worry about. Black sands are typically processed lava rock. You are at the mercy of whatever happened to be in the lava flow at the location your future sand was collected from. For one member here, the problem was a combination of high nickle and vanadium. We were able to confirm the sand as the source via an electron microscope. He went from not keeping anything alive to having a thriving tank once he changed his sand out. While I'm sure most black sand is safe and that these metal veins being incorporated into the sand is rare, it is something to consider. If you do go the black sand route I would highly recommend sending out a Triton test after the cycle but prior to stocking.
Image 6.JPG

Tuffyyyyy

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use it in my peninsula IM20 and really like how it makes everything pop. I'm in the process of siphoning out my sand in the IM40 to add it there as well.

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 28 34.1%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 20 24.4%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 7 8.5%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 5 6.1%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 20 24.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 2.4%
Back