Votes: 19 2.6%

• Total voters

rkpetersen

walked the sand with the crustaceans
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had a twin spot Goby, and it would move all the black sand out of his burrow and from around it leaving just the white sand. it was quite entertaining.
Thanks, I appreciate the comment. It sounds like that goby wouldn't have been too pleased though if there was nothing but black sand.

Slyler

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks, I appreciate the comment. It sounds like that goby wouldn't have been too pleased though if there was nothing but black sand.

He might not have been, but it could have been size or feel of the sand as well, just a slight difference could have made him move it... is my guess anyways.

Ratherbeflyen

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I used black substrate on my last tank. I like the look, but one problem is anything that isn't black really stands out. It looks great when its new, at least to me anyway, but after a couple of years of coral chips and dead coralline etc really degrade the look. The other problem is the already mentioned lack of reflection. Corals not exposed directly to the surface light don't do very well. I've never had a problem with water quality, iron, mag cleaners, etc... but on my new build I'm mixing black and white sand.

IMG_20180308_192043.jpg

Bob Lauson

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I used both and it is mostly a personal preference issue. Both white and black sand show detritus and other gunk in the sand. I happen to love a nice white sand bed. My wife wanted to try the black but I just couldn't mentally get there.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 35 31.3%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 26 23.2%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 18.8%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 26.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back