Poll: Black Sand? Yes, No, NEVER!

  • Thread starter Thread starter BigAl07
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users Tagged users None

Poll: Have you ever used black sand?

  • Yes - and loved it

    Votes: 84 11.3%
  • Yes - and hated it

    Votes: 57 7.7%
  • No - never used it and never will

    Votes: 381 51.1%
  • No - never used it but have considered it

    Votes: 204 27.4%
  • Other - (explain in thread)

    Votes: 19 2.6%

  • Total voters
    745
I had a twin spot Goby, and it would move all the black sand out of his burrow and from around it leaving just the white sand. it was quite entertaining.
Thanks, I appreciate the comment. It sounds like that goby wouldn't have been too pleased though if there was nothing but black sand.
 
Thanks, I appreciate the comment. It sounds like that goby wouldn't have been too pleased though if there was nothing but black sand.

He might not have been, but it could have been size or feel of the sand as well, just a slight difference could have made him move it... is my guess anyways.
 
I used black substrate on my last tank. I like the look, but one problem is anything that isn't black really stands out. It looks great when its new, at least to me anyway, but after a couple of years of coral chips and dead coralline etc really degrade the look. The other problem is the already mentioned lack of reflection. Corals not exposed directly to the surface light don't do very well. I've never had a problem with water quality, iron, mag cleaners, etc... but on my new build I'm mixing black and white sand.


IMG_20180308_192043.jpg


View attachment 813231
 
I used both and it is mostly a personal preference issue. Both white and black sand show detritus and other gunk in the sand. I happen to love a nice white sand bed. My wife wanted to try the black but I just couldn't mentally get there.
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT IS THE BIGGEST REASON YOU ATTEND A FRAG SWAP?

  • Finding unusual or hard-to-find corals

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Better prices than buying online

    Votes: 2 50.0%
  • Trading or selling my own frags

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Meeting other reefers

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Learning from vendors and hobbyists

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Seeing corals in person before buying

    Votes: 2 50.0%
  • Supporting the local reefing community

    Votes: 1 25.0%
  • I don’t have frag swaps nearby

    Votes: 1 25.0%
  • Other (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 0 0.0%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new