Black spot on bartlett fin

  • Thread starter Thread starter Bug530
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users Tagged users None

Bug530

Community Member
View Badges
Joined
May 30, 2025
Messages
35
Reaction score
7
Location
Chicago
What state or country do you live in
Illinois
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Like it says, my bartlett anthias has a black spot on its dorsal fin. Lost one (of 4) a week or two ago after my feeder stopped working so I'm hoping its just from the increased aggression. Another is on the way but I dont want to add more fish to the situation if this is something infectious.
f1018bc5-51c6-4c26-b9da-8262699e9f4a.jpg
a076f2aa-5232-4eb6-84c3-e733756a18e0.jpg
 
Like it says, my bartlett anthias has a black spot on its dorsal fin. Lost one (of 4) a week or two ago after my feeder stopped working so I'm hoping its just from the increased aggression. Another is on the way but I dont want to add more fish to the situation if this is something infectious.
f1018bc5-51c6-4c26-b9da-8262699e9f4a.jpg
a076f2aa-5232-4eb6-84c3-e733756a18e0.jpg

Are you sure this is a bartlett's? The mouth doesn't look right to me. Could it be a bimaculatus? Those often have a spot on their dorsal fin like that.
 
I ordered it from Dr. Reefs as a bartletts but have wondered the same thing comparing them to pictures I've seen. What's the likelihood of them sending the wrong species and is there any way to know for sure?
 
I ordered it from Dr. Reefs as a bartletts but have wondered the same thing comparing them to pictures I've seen. What's the likelihood of them sending the wrong species and is there any way to know for sure?

I'd send them a photo and see what they think. Bimaculatus are deep water and more expensive than bartlett's, so it could be a "win" for you. On the other hand, there may be other species of anthias that have a dorsal spot like that, and I'm just missing the ID
 
Definitely not a Bartlet
 
Well I sent them pics and they confirmed I was accidentally sent bimacs and am getting another bimac at the bartlett price as well as a discounted anemone.
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHICH TYPE OF REEF CONTENT MOST OFTEN GETS YOU TO PARTICIPATE?

  • Daniel's daily polls. They're awesome! 😎

    Votes: 8 27.6%
  • A real troubleshooting problem

    Votes: 10 34.5%
  • Build-thread or tank-update posts

    Votes: 6 20.7%
  • Before-and-after progress photos

    Votes: 3 10.3%
  • Beginner questions

    Votes: 8 27.6%
  • Honest success or failure stories

    Votes: 7 24.1%
  • A post, update, or article from my favorite vendor

    Votes: 5 17.2%
  • Detailed how-to or educational discussions

    Votes: 9 31.0%
  • Tank tours and member showcases

    Votes: 5 17.2%
  • Local events, swaps, or meetups

    Votes: 5 17.2%
  • Other (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 7 24.1%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new