Black Substrate

FishingLovingSons

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have read many threads on R2R discussing black substrate manufacturers with magnetic properties of the "sand" being one of (if not) the biggest concerns. I come from a FW background and I have used the National Geographic brand substrate in many of my tanks; both with artificial and live plants.

I haven't seen much discussion on this brand; link HERE. Has anyone used this in a SW and/or Reef setup? I have placed my magnetic algae scraper directly on this substrate before and none of the sand has stuck to it... thoughts anyone?

https://www.petsmart.com/fish/decor...graphicandtrade-aquarium-substrate-21326.html

Thanks

JasonK84

I want more!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have read many threads on R2R discussing black substrate manufacturers with magnetic properties of the "sand" being one of (if not) the biggest concerns. I come from a FW background and I have used the National Geographic brand substrate in many of my tanks; both with artificial and live plants.

I haven't seen much discussion on this brand; link HERE. Has anyone used this in a SW and/or Reef setup? I have placed my magnetic algae scraper directly on this substrate before and none of the sand has stuck to it... thoughts anyone?

https://www.petsmart.com/fish/decor...graphicandtrade-aquarium-substrate-21326.html

Thanks
They have black sand. I think it's made by Caribsea. It's got a wide range of granule size so probably not good for a sand sifter or sand dwelling wrasse.
IMG_0935.JPG

Here is my 30 gallon just after setting it up this past February.

OP
OP
FishingLovingSons

FishingLovingSons

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They have black sand. I think it's made by Caribsea. It's got a wide range of granule size so probably not good for a sand sifter or sand dwelling wrasse.
IMG_0935.JPG

Here is my 30 gallon just after setting it up this past February.
Is your 30 a mix of the black and white from Nat Geo? All my Nat Geo black sand bags have been almost 100% uniform in grain sizes.... I'll try to get a pic of my 10g Betta/tetra tank up for comparison

OP
OP
FishingLovingSons

FishingLovingSons

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The large grains are Flora-Max... this substrate is leftover from a mix I used on a 55g planted. The very small grains are the NG brand sand. Also forgive some of the detritus build, today is vac day!

IMG_0256.jpg
IMG_0255.jpg
IMG_0254.jpg

JasonK84

I want more!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is your 30 a mix of the black and white from Nat Geo? All my Nat Geo black sand bags have been almost 100% uniform in grain sizes.... I'll try to get a pic of my 10g Betta/tetra tank up for comparison
No, mine is the CaribSea aragonite Hawaiian black sand. It does have quite a bit of white sand but they are very fine and settle to the bottom.

OP
OP
FishingLovingSons

FishingLovingSons

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No, mine is the CaribSea aragonite Hawaiian black sand. It does have quite a bit of white sand but they are very fine and settle to the bottom.
Thanks Jason. Yeah I have used the Hawaiian and Tahitian Moon in the past for FW, just trying to find anyone who has tried Nat Geo on SW.

JasonK84

I want more!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah, I just thought you were wanting black substrate for saltwater and saw on a later post that the reason you are asking is because you already have in on hand.

It may work it just might not have the ph buffer you need causing a pain in the rear to keep stable for saltwater.

OP
OP
FishingLovingSons

FishingLovingSons

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It looks like it is epoxy coated gravel - not good for saltwater!
Thank you sir! I wondered about that... read some reviews that stated as much from several years ago. I haven't noticed the "flaking" that some others have... that tank in the above photos was setup in March for my eldest boy. I vac the sand bed deeply about 2-3 times per month, the amanos and nerite keep the algae and diatoms at bay. I guess the fact it is almost too uniform should be info enough to know its an artificial replicate.

I broke down my 55g apisto tank last year; it had been up for almost 2 years. This sand was pulled from that tank; rinsed well; dried and stored. My son got a female Betta for Xmas last year and when I upgraded her tank to the 10g I brought the old substrate out and re-used. I guess better to be safe than sorry... just always liked the look of black vs. white sand. Since the biggest concern for black substrates was magnetism it made me think this might be an option

OP
OP
FishingLovingSons

FishingLovingSons

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah, I just thought you were wanting black substrate for saltwater and saw on a later post that the reason you are asking is because you already have in on hand.

It may work it just might not have the ph buffer you need causing a pain in the rear to keep stable for saltwater.

How important is the buffering from the sand for SW tanks? I understand what/how it works... do people using BB tanks have to worry more about pH fluctuating?

leahfiish

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think the only time that the ph-buffering affects of aragonite sands really come into play is if your pH drops dangerously low for some reason. I have read that it doesn't buffer until the pH is below a certain threshold (maybe 7? but I forget the exact number).

OP
OP
FishingLovingSons

FishingLovingSons

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think the only time that the ph-buffering affects of aragonite sands really come into play is if your pH drops dangerously low for some reason. I have read that it doesn't buffer until the pH is below a certain threshold (maybe 7? but I forget the exact number).
I read a few threads last night that basically said the same thing; pH of about 7.5 and under then the aragonite buffering properties begin to help. Guess the best thing i can do is set one of my 10g up with SW and this sand and just test the water. If the sand does leech a chemical/compound into the tank that would not be reef-safe, what might that be? Or, how would I test for it?

Testing thoughts:
10g SW with this sand
Triton or Marin Lab test
Heater?
Powerhead?

If anyone knows someone who might have an idea of what chemical would be the non reef-safe leeching issue please ask/tag them. I have been the guinea pig on a few FW tests back in the day but never a SW one; still a SW noob lol.

OP
OP
FishingLovingSons

FishingLovingSons

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A Triton water test tests for metals among other things.
Not sure of the entire list.

Never had one done. Heard they are about $50-60?

Gonna go for it... sometime this week set it up. 10g, heater and large hob filter (biowheel 350) for lots of flow. Nat Geo black sand about 2in deep, gravel vac it once a week and replace water. I'll test water after 10 days and again much later, 90-120 days. Depending on results I'll see if it needs to run longer. Guess I got a little project lol

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 7 21.9%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 26 81.3%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 7 21.9%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 1 3.1%
  • Other

Votes: 2 6.3%
Back