Blacking Out Fuge Section in Sump Question

chrishet

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've got a section of my sump that I want to use for chaeto fuge, and an H160 light. To help reduce light creep throughout the rest of the sump I'm going to use some black acrylic on the inner side walls of the fuge. What are your thoughts on using silicon to secure these sections to my sump walls? or do you think I should just 3d print some clips to hold them in place? Here is a drawing of the sump for reference. Its an interesting design...the fuge area is independent allowing me to control flow through it. MRC build it to my specs a few years ago

MRC Sump.jpg

SMSREEF

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I used silicon to add pieces of acrylic to my sump, but that was more for mechanics, water levels and water flow. I can remove them and the silicon with a little work.

if it was only to block light and I was able to make clips, I would clip the black acrylic on because it just makes any changes that much easier.

mcshams

Slave to my wife's reef desires
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'd build/use clips for maintenance. We used acrylic sheet with suction cup stops to rest against and even that worked great.

schuby

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It is unusual to put the skimmer before the refugium. (If I get the flow of water correct from your diagram.) What was your reasoning? Also, the water level seems quite high coming out of skimmer section to fuge. Is it really hard-set to 11-12 inches high in skimmer section?

OP
OP
chrishet

chrishet

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It is unusual to put the skimmer before the refugium. (If I get the flow of water correct from your diagram.) What was your reasoning? Also, the water level seems quite high coming out of skimmer section to fuge. Is it really hard-set to 11-12 inches high in skimmer section?
The original idea for this section was to use it for reactors, like a biopellet reactor or GFO reactor. I wanted the ability to control flow in/out of the DT independently of flow through the reactors (similar to a recirculating reactor would do). This sump sat unused for years till my most recent build. I never implemented a biopellet reactor but I do use a GFO reactor in section today but that soon will change.

The flow into the fuge comes from my return manifold. granted it would be nice to come direct from the overflow but I can't change that.

The water runs at 9 inches in the sump/skimmer section. I do have my Octo 130 skimmer on a stand. It will make for a nice fuge section as it will be full of water and I can control the flow through it.

OP
OP
chrishet

chrishet

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here is a pic from my startup - January 2019. I plan on blocking all 4 sides of the fuge. I also have a light shield I 3D printed for the 160...see below...

sump_old.jpg

20190413_135801951_iOS.jpg

More than just hot air: Is there a Pufferfish in your aquarium?

• There is currently a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 30 17.6%
  • There is not currently a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I have kept one in the past.

Votes: 27 15.9%
  • There has never been a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I plan to keep one in the future.

Votes: 32 18.8%
  • I have no plans to keep a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 73 42.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.7%
Back