Blackout while doing Chemiclean?

Spare time

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I said nothing about nitrifying bacteria. That is also false that the antibiotic only harms cyanobacteria. That is just not how erythromycin works. The concern is the microbiome of the fish and coral. Antibiotics can greatly impact the health of organisms as the microbiome of said organisms becomes damaged. This isn't even mentioning the antibiotic resistance crisis occurring, of which pouring antibiotics into an aquarium can't be helping. Antibiotics are actively harmful and should only ever be used as a last resort when all else fails.

PS if anyone is interested in how antibiotics impact the human gut microbiome, I have colleagues that run a lab on interactions between humans and the gut microbiome.

OP
OP
B

buruskeee

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I personally would not. Part of the way medications work - is by killing 'growing' bacteria - there will be slower or no growth in the dark - thus the medication may not work as well
This is the advice I was looking for (not the answer but the reason).

I’m 22 hours into the cycle after dosing, and in the last hour I see a bacterial bloom. My lights were off (when I dosed, that was the first day after shutting of the lights the night before - so today I’m at 40 hours lights out). I have just now turned them on.

Should I water change now or wait it out? I have tons of aeration of water going on right now.

Also don’t know if it’s just the cyano die off. My ORP did tank 70 points coincidentally with the bloom appearing.

IMG_3922.jpeg

Last edited:

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
This is the advice I was looking for (not the answer but the reason).

I’m 22 hours into the cycle after dosing, and in the last hour I see a bacterial bloom. My lights were off (when I dosed, that was the first day after shutting of the lights the night before - so today I’m at 40 hours lights out). I have just now turned them on.

Should I water change now or wait it out? I have tons of aeration of water going on right now.

Also don’t know if it’s just the cyano die off. My ORP did tank 70 points coincidentally with the bloom appearing.

IMG_3922.jpeg
I would let it go. Nice Aquascape

OP
OP
B

buruskeee

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would let it go. Nice Aquascape
Thanks! Tried to go for habitat while having a minimalist look. It takes away some mounting areas for sure, and has more flow impedance, but so far I haven't had to tinker with the look.

I've been reading and it's most likely the combo of the cyano dying off giving it the reddish hue, and because of it a bacterial bloom. I've kept the lights on - going to give the rocks a good brushing, then dose the DIY coral snow (flocculant) before doing the water change tomorrow, followed by dosing MB7.

Do you think it will be ok dosing the flocculant before doing the water change that contains the Chemiclean?

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 13.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 6.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 22 15.1%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 83 56.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 10 6.8%
Back