Blasto with white stuff?

theredcenter

Community Member
View Badges
Joined
Jan 13, 2026
Messages
60
Reaction score
27
Location
Oklahoma City
What state or country do you live in
Oklahoma
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I noticed this white stuff around the heads of my blasto. Not sure what is going on. It seems to puff up as normal when the lights are on but I have seen this stuff on it lately. Any ideas?

20260411_210010.jpg
 
Looks like white encrusting sponge
 
I'd leave it if not bothering the coral,lets get a 2nd opinion @tbrown ?
 
I've had a similar one overtake my Blasto a while back. You can try taking it out and exposing it to air for a couple minutes and then rinsing it off with saltwater if it's bothering it. If it's not bothering it, leave it be like @fishguy242 said. Sponges can actually be beneficial to the tank.
 
So my blasto has that as well but it isn't opening up or showing off at all. I dont know if it is because of placement, lighting, or something else. All I know is it feel hard to the touch and has fuzzy white stuff on it?
 
So my blasto has that as well but it isn't opening up or showing off at all. I dont know if it is because of placement, lighting, or something else. All I know is it feel hard to the touch and has fuzzy white stuff on it?
Pic ?
 
So my blasto has that as well but it isn't opening up or showing off at all. I dont know if it is because of placement, lighting, or something else. All I know is it feel hard to the touch and has fuzzy white stuff on it?
Pic ?
 
if that's white sponge ,i would gently scrub off and put in lower light med flow. @tbrown any suggestions ?
 
Same. As mentioned above, I pulled it out of the tank for a minute or 2, then scrubbed it off gently and rinsed before returning it to the tank. From my understanding, some sponges are known to release toxins as a form of warfare. If your blasto is irritated and staying closed, there's definitely a possibility that's what's happening.
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT IS THE LOUDEST PART OF YOUR REEF SYSTEM?

  • Return pump

    Votes: 7 4.6%
  • Powerheads or wavemakers

    Votes: 11 7.2%
  • Protein skimmer

    Votes: 27 17.6%
  • Overflow or drain

    Votes: 52 34.0%
  • Sump vibration or plumbing

    Votes: 2 1.3%
  • Cooling fans

    Votes: 11 7.2%
  • Dosing, ATO, or other equipment

    Votes: 10 6.5%
  • Nothing. My reef is surprisingly quiet

    Votes: 23 15.0%
  • Other (Tell us what makes the noise)

    Votes: 10 6.5%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new