Bleach Mode Reset (fairly quick in tank)

Diznaster

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just wanted to share my experience/tips using bleach to reset my tank to day one. The reason was that I got infected with a red turf algae that I couldn’t beat. I didn’t have many frags yet in a year old tank. I decided I’d rather take a mulligan instead of battling if forever. Removing my aquascape wasn't really an option. I did a good bit of research on bleach and how to neutralize it. I found some anecdotal advice on the forums that didn’t make sense to me, especially letting the rock dry after bleaching. I’ll add my thoughts on that at the end of the post if you want to skip ahead.

Here are the basics of what I did:

Siphon as much sand as possible into 32 gallon Brute trash can, fill the brute with tank water. Move the fish into the “Brute Motel” with a heater, air stone, and canister filter.

Scrub off as much RTA as possible (small wire brush), drain the rest of the tank and sump. Remove remaining sand. Clean wave pumps in DT. Remove all equipment from sump except return pump (skimmer, CaReactor, etc..).

Fill system with tap water. Replace wave pumps. Turn them and return pump on.

Add 3 gallons of bleach to system (120 gallons total DT and Sump). After a couple hours my rock was completely white. I gave it about 6 hours for good measure (my house smelled like a pool ).

Drain bleach water. I kept the last couple 5 gallon buckets to soak and sterilize other equipment.

Rinse rock/tank walls with tap water (via garden hose and sprayer). Do this a couple times with maybe 5 gallons each time, removing water after each rinse.

Fill system with tap water and turn on pumps. Add a powerful de-chlorination agent. I did a good bit of research on this and found Seachem Prime to be a good affordable and easy option. I added an 8.5oz bottle over a period of about 8 hours. Just a good pour every hour. This should treat 10,000 gallons of ‘normal tap water’.

While doing the de-chlorination I rinsed my new sand with tap water. Also sterilized/rinsed all equipment and tools with the bleach water in the buckets I saved.

Drain the tank again after a day. Add new sand, replace sterilized equipment and fill with RODI salt water. Get to temp and move fish back in.

I have 7 fish in this system and I would never recommend just adding 7 fish to a sterile un-cycled tank but I didn’t really have a choice here. I did add a dose of MB7 every other day, closely monitored Ammonia, fed lightly, and was prepared for a large water change if needed (It wasn’t). The tank has been back up for over a month now. Fish are fine, waste is being converted to nitrate.

This was a 3-4 day process, but it wiped out all my Red Turf Algae! Also my coralline, etc.. but I expected that. I will never not quarantine again, lesson learned.

My thoughts on de-chlorination of rock. I couldn’t find a scientific reason to let the rock dry in the sun as is recommended in many places. The chlorine is not volatile, it will not evaporate. Just like trying to remove salt from your tank by letting the water evaporate. The dried chlorine can get blown away like dust and it can also be neutralized by atmospheric CO2, but this isn’t quick. UV light (sunlight) can also break it down. These options are unlikely to reach all surfaces inside the rock. Sunlight and wind are not getting everywhere. Atmospheric CO2 will, but that’s slow. The only realistic option to me is something in the water that neutralizes it quickly and can reach everywhere. Like sodium thiosulfate, which is basically Seachem Prime (but pre-dissolved).

It’s only one data point, but my 7 fish survived in this method with no adverse effects. I didn’t do a water change for 2 weeks until I started to see an ammonia spike. I would think if chlorine was there they would have shown symptoms quickly.

Sorry for the long novel, but if someone is looking to do a reset like this I wanted to share enough to help them think through a process that works for them.

rawbomb

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just wanted to share my experience/tips using bleach to reset my tank to day one. The reason was that I got infected with a red turf algae that I couldn’t beat. I didn’t have many frags yet in a year old tank. I decided I’d rather take a mulligan instead of battling if forever. Removing my aquascape wasn't really an option. I did a good bit of research on bleach and how to neutralize it. I found some anecdotal advice on the forums that didn’t make sense to me, especially letting the rock dry after bleaching. I’ll add my thoughts on that at the end of the post if you want to skip ahead.

Here are the basics of what I did:

Siphon as much sand as possible into 32 gallon Brute trash can, fill the brute with tank water. Move the fish into the “Brute Motel” with a heater, air stone, and canister filter.

Scrub off as much RTA as possible (small wire brush), drain the rest of the tank and sump. Remove remaining sand. Clean wave pumps in DT. Remove all equipment from sump except return pump (skimmer, CaReactor, etc..).

Fill system with tap water. Replace wave pumps. Turn them and return pump on.

Add 3 gallons of bleach to system (120 gallons total DT and Sump). After a couple hours my rock was completely white. I gave it about 6 hours for good measure (my house smelled like a pool ).

Drain bleach water. I kept the last couple 5 gallon buckets to soak and sterilize other equipment.

Rinse rock/tank walls with tap water (via garden hose and sprayer). Do this a couple times with maybe 5 gallons each time, removing water after each rinse.

Fill system with tap water and turn on pumps. Add a powerful de-chlorination agent. I did a good bit of research on this and found Seachem Prime to be a good affordable and easy option. I added an 8.5oz bottle over a period of about 8 hours. Just a good pour every hour. This should treat 10,000 gallons of ‘normal tap water’.

While doing the de-chlorination I rinsed my new sand with tap water. Also sterilized/rinsed all equipment and tools with the bleach water in the buckets I saved.

Drain the tank again after a day. Add new sand, replace sterilized equipment and fill with RODI salt water. Get to temp and move fish back in.

I have 7 fish in this system and I would never recommend just adding 7 fish to a sterile un-cycled tank but I didn’t really have a choice here. I did add a dose of MB7 every other day, closely monitored Ammonia, fed lightly, and was prepared for a large water change if needed (It wasn’t). The tank has been back up for over a month now. Fish are fine, waste is being converted to nitrate.

This was a 3-4 day process, but it wiped out all my Red Turf Algae! Also my coralline, etc.. but I expected that. I will never not quarantine again, lesson learned.

My thoughts on de-chlorination of rock. I couldn’t find a scientific reason to let the rock dry in the sun as is recommended in many places. The chlorine is not volatile, it will not evaporate. Just like trying to remove salt from your tank by letting the water evaporate. The dried chlorine can get blown away like dust and it can also be neutralized by atmospheric CO2, but this isn’t quick. UV light (sunlight) can also break it down. These options are unlikely to reach all surfaces inside the rock. Sunlight and wind are not getting everywhere. Atmospheric CO2 will, but that’s slow. The only realistic option to me is something in the water that neutralizes it quickly and can reach everywhere. Like sodium thiosulfate, which is basically Seachem Prime (but pre-dissolved).

It’s only one data point, but my 7 fish survived in this method with no adverse effects. I didn’t do a water change for 2 weeks until I started to see an ammonia spike. I would think if chlorine was there they would have shown symptoms quickly.

Sorry for the long novel, but if someone is looking to do a reset like this I wanted to share enough to help them think through a process that works for them.
Just wondering if everything went well and you haven't had any unexpected side effects now that it's been a while.

brandon429

why did you put a reef in that
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
great kickup of the thread. time to reflect on the redo after a few mos running

my #1 question: considering what happened before, what do you do now once that red patch shows up on the corner of a little rock...lets say its just a half inch area, only in one spot of the tank...what do you do to prevent takeover this round

OP
OP
Diznaster

Diznaster

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just wondering if everything went well and you haven't had any unexpected side effects now that it's been a while.
Nothing unusual or negative I can tell. I'm still very happy I did it. When the tank was new, but had cycled fully I added a couple bottles of Purple Helix coralline spores. After a month or so I was getting spots and they were expanding well. After the reset I added a couple more bottles but haven't seen anything yet. I'm thinking maybe the early ammonia spike I saw messed it up. So I just added a couple more bottles yesterday. I'll try to remember to update in a month or so, but I doubt the bleach is the cause because everything else is healthy. I added a couple frags recently and they seem happy.

OP
OP
Diznaster

Diznaster

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
great kickup of the thread. time to reflect on the redo after a few mos running

my #1 question: considering what happened before, what do you do now once that red patch shows up on the corner of a little rock...lets say its just a half inch area, only in one spot of the tank...what do you do to prevent takeover this round

Corner of a little rock, easy pull it and pitch it in the garbage :D. Hopefully it never comes to that because I quarantine everything now (well I got one frag from a friend that I didn't but I trust his tank). I suppose the RTA beast could be dormant for a month of QT with low nutrients. If I found a spot of RTA on my 100lb monolithic structure of arches I would do this. Since it's hypothetical I assume it would favor the upper parts of the rock with high light as it did before. So if it started there I would probably drain the tank enough to expose it to air. Treat is with Peroxide and/or a Kalc paste. Then put the same water back. Repeat that as needed.

brandon429

why did you put a reef in that
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In my opinion that seals the deal on a theory I have running see if you disagree terribly:

That all terrible reef tank invasions are a matter of psychology not biology.

We literally have the choice to not be invaded, you just listed a way not to be. The fundamental driver of your choice, and method, is sheer refusal. Where do params, ID, animals, complex reefing gear, complex chemistry, technique or species details factor in a choice based system

They don’t

To be originally invaded, to hitchhike something in is biology. Being able to beat it without manual intervention is artistic biology, but to sustain that in your tank knowing what it can do, and how easy it is to make that not occur, is a psychology. risk management systems govern that choice especially on any round 2

Guthrie’s one shot learning applies to tank invasions too, I only had to get burned once to become a refuser.

Agreed we don’t want everyone throwing out rocks but the point is a scale on which you will tolerate misbehavior from your tank, that’s allowing none. One tiny rock wouldn’t hurt to throw out or burn sterile, that’s for sure.

Acting early, before it takes over everything is a choice.

I myself would lift out the rock and hold a jet flame lighter on the spot for 3 mins straight. Or chemical oxidizer burns with 35%, it’s all the same.

Guess how much algae I’m going to let take over my reef

nada. If I had a misbehaving rock it would be a cool paperweight at work. It’s the sole reason I give my word right now I’ll never own an invaded reef tank, it will not occur.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Diznaster

Diznaster

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm not disagreeable to that. I do think that a biological imbalance is a gateway for bad things to invade and thrive. Controlling that balance (or trying to) is probably the best first step before going nuclear, highly dependent on the invader. If its GHA or Cyano, then fix the balance/biology. You can slow play that type of "invader". In the case of my RTA, I probably slow played it too long and I might have been able knock it out easier if I understood the nature of the beast and realized I needed to start throwing grenades at the first sight. I'd add that beyond knowing what invader to immediately punch in the nose and what you can possibly reason with is maybe where psychology gets involved. I'm not sure I'd call it psychology, sure it is technically (everything humans do is), but more about practicality. If I had a 10 gallon tank with Cyano/GHA I might just do a quick 3 hour teardown/clean/rebuild. For my 90 that is 3-4 days of time, trying to avoid that with filtration improvements, etc... seems like a great utilization of time. I'm not lazy, I like to work but I hate wasting time it's the only thing I can't figure out how to make more of.

rawbomb

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How long before you were back up and running after going nuclear?

OP
OP
Diznaster

Diznaster

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How long before you were back up and running after going nuclear?

The fish were in the "Brute Motel" for 4 days (from original post). I might have been able to do it faster, but I did some plumbing stuff while the system was down also. That depends a lot on tank size and scope of work. After pumps on and fish back in and adding MB7 every other day after basically starting over with a sterile tank, it was about 2 weeks before ammonia/nitrite was zero.

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 18 29.5%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 51 83.6%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 10 16.4%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 7 11.5%
  • Other

Votes: 3 4.9%
Back