Bleached Coral

  • Thread starter Thread starter Dan W.
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users Tagged users None

Dan W.

New Member
View Badges
Joined
Nov 1, 2014
Messages
2
Reaction score
0
Location
New Jersey
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi everybody. Back in the 70's and 80's we attempted to keep marine fish alive in a 55 gal tank. Needless to say it was nearly impossible to keep them alive back then. No biofilters, etc.:sad: Anyway, I have a large box full of bleached coral that I need to dispose of. I am fully aware that bleached coral is akin to elephant tusks so I can appreciate the sensitivity of this post. On the other hand I do not know whether there is a market for this kind of stuff anymore for decoration or whatever. I've had this coral for about 30 years when it was legal, so I don't feel guilty about maybe getting my money back out of it. Alternatively I do know a guy who with a tank who might appreciate the coral if I just gave it to him.

So I really just wanted to find out if this stuff is worth any real money, if it is taboo, or what you suggest.

Thanks!

Dan
 
I don't think it would be worth much.
 
It has value to someone that would use them as coffee table ornaments, or to decorate shelves. They make really nice decorations, and are not cheap!
 
Thanks for the bump and the replies. It does make me wonder, though. Is there anything inherently wrong with using bleached coral in a tank not intended to be a reef tank specifically? I know artificial corals are used now, but if you have real coral from years ago, like me, is there a reason a person might not want to put it in their tank?
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHICH TYPE OF REEF CONTENT MOST OFTEN GETS YOU TO PARTICIPATE?

  • Daniel's daily polls. They're awesome! 😎

    Votes: 8 29.6%
  • A real troubleshooting problem

    Votes: 9 33.3%
  • Build-thread or tank-update posts

    Votes: 6 22.2%
  • Before-and-after progress photos

    Votes: 3 11.1%
  • Beginner questions

    Votes: 8 29.6%
  • Honest success or failure stories

    Votes: 6 22.2%
  • A post, update, or article from my favorite vendor

    Votes: 5 18.5%
  • Detailed how-to or educational discussions

    Votes: 9 33.3%
  • Tank tours and member showcases

    Votes: 5 18.5%
  • Local events, swaps, or meetups

    Votes: 5 18.5%
  • Other (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 5 18.5%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new