Bleached Echinopora

GoPitt88

Pitt Basketball is BACK!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What would you do? I have had a green eyed blue monster Echinopora for over 2 years now, and it recently went through a bleaching incident.......my fault [emoji53] I have run GFO and ROX 0.8 for years, and thought I’d stop running the GFO to get a little phosphates in the water (thinking that would be good for my corals). My phosphates have always read zero, and even after a week w/o GFO, my phosphates continued to read zero. I DID notice, however, that I now had to clean the glass daily, and my Echinopora started to turn brown. Within a coupe days, the center of my green eyed blue monster turned completely white. Needless to say, I’m back to using GFO. That all being said, the front part of this coral still looks good. Should I frag that part of the coral and throw the rest away, or should I keep the entire coral in the tank to see if it will recover? WHAT WOULD YOU DO?

I’ll take pictures once my lights turn on.

Thanks [emoji3]

DSC reef

Coral wasted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That particular chalice is pretty resilient and we had a colony grow back from just a tiny bit of tissue. If the recession has stopped you can leave it but if its unsightly you can frag the coral. When fragging try to have some iodine based coral dip on hand incase you cut/break into healthy tissue.

OP
OP
GoPitt88

GoPitt88

Pitt Basketball is BACK!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That particular chalice is pretty resilient and we had a colony grow back from just a tiny bit of tissue. If the recession has stopped you can leave it but if its unsightly you can frag the coral. When fragging try to have some iodine based coral dip on hand incase you cut/break into healthy tissue.

Thanks [emoji106][emoji3]

OP
OP
GoPitt88

GoPitt88

Pitt Basketball is BACK!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

What about Coral Rx?

OP
OP
GoPitt88

GoPitt88

Pitt Basketball is BACK!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think I'm going to leave it for a while to see what happens. Maybe learn something. All of my other SPS and LPS are doing great.

Rock solid aquascape: Does the weight of the rocks in your aquascape matter?

• The weight of the rocks is a key factor.

Votes: 10 8.6%
  • The weight of the rocks is one of many factors.

Votes: 42 36.2%
  • The weight of the rocks is a minor factor.

Votes: 35 30.2%
  • The weight of the rocks is not a factor.

Votes: 28 24.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.9%
Back