Bleached sps from shipping

luke33

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
FWIW, I don't run zeo and the corals I have from him look every bit as bright and colorful in person. Just some tlc and time, good luck with those guys, i'm sure they will perk back up soon enough!

OP
OP
Emmagmrtz

Emmagmrtz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
And for anyone who don't have experience with zeovit system and can't explain how it works. Please don't try to keep pushing on that topic. . Now me point some key info hear and have a discussion on that. If you can't keep up please don't post. Ok zeovit is a system that help reduce nitrates and p04 aka carbon dosing by population of benefitical bacteria. Which allow user with heavy bioload (fish) to feed and have little to untraceable p03and p04 but still have lot of food in the water column (nutrient) which is the key factor in the role play on color and growth. Now! That being said zeovit system does not benefit acropora or sps. All coral are subject it's benefit. Meaning that coral previously purchased no mater if it's lps, sps or softie bought from a vendor with the same system. I can not achieve same color or as bright as them because they use different light or zeovit? Please process that I'm sure it's hard for many to require a bit of thinking. But yet all coral look 1:1 once in my system. Also for the fellow snake oil buyer. I do own t5 aswell. Please be informed that yes different light will change color a bit. But nowadays with led you can mimic any bulbs spectrum that you can buy. Currently my radion is on sps AB+ Which mimic ati coral+ and blue+. Both bulb with I do own myself. And the only real benefit of t5 is that it cover length of the whole tank which doesn't allow shadowing and redirecting light with reflector into the tank vs led which all the led are clustered in a small space and reflecting light at different angle which is not the best just what you would see when sun rise from west to east and shadowing over building. Also led aren't really uniform with spectrum as led have individual color of led to make up a giving spectrum vs t5 which bulb are tint to give an even spectrum. I hope I explained the best I could while in work rest room. Anyone care to correlate

OP
OP
Emmagmrtz

Emmagmrtz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
FWIW, I don't run zeo and the corals I have from him look every bit as bright and colorful in person. Just some tlc and time, good luck with those guys, i'm sure they will perk back up soon enough!
get out of here! Impossible. You can't get color without zeovit. Your a troll. I have bought coral from him and they still don't color up. Lol the people who can keep a reef tank looking great. You just added gas to the fire. Thanks for your input.

OP
OP
Emmagmrtz

Emmagmrtz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I guess all the troll and snake oil can't comprehend my last post. I may not have all the answer or know everything. But I do have more time on my hand probably then most and with that time I use to inform myself with respected people in the hobby with proof. Even BRS have a series put equipment and etc to the test. Which is awesome. And with all info I gather my own hypothesis and apply it. I actually use my brain. I know it's so hard this day and age to not be on the phone looking on Facebook vs collecting information. And I gather info and test myself time to time. I don't go believing everything I hear. I believe being informed is probably the best thing for success.

Scorpius

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This thread is going no where good, but you don't have to run a ULNS to have brightly colored coral. There's more to it than just "nutrients".

OP
OP
Emmagmrtz

Emmagmrtz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This thread is going no where good, but you don't have to run a ULNS to have brightly colored coral. There's more to it than just "nutrients".
Well I believe your rite on this thread. And yes that was my point. Above nutrient and how that help with color. I just gave a more in depth reply to have a little more info to back up. Because there some user here believing the frag cannot color up as much because of the system the seller has or lighting

OP
OP
Emmagmrtz

Emmagmrtz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This thread is attracting troll just like Flies on ****. Lol

pa1ntbru5h

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I never said Zeovit was the end all be all.. It was one of several things to help him deduce why his SPS were pale. Which is what he asked for.
And when someone tells you that they're going to get amazing colors out of their SPS by showing you pictures of their Blastos and chalices... I can't help but warn them that SPS aren't the same. You can have super bright LPS and still have brown SPS. I'm sure everyone can agree with me here..
I never said it's IMPOSSIBLE to gain the same colors that Dan does. I don't run Zeovit either and I'm getting pretty good coloration out of my SPS as well..
I came here simply to help inform someone and give back to the community, but they've turned around and said I don't know what I'm talking about..
But anyways I'm done with this thread. Like scorpius said, it's not going anywhere good.

OP
OP
Emmagmrtz

Emmagmrtz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I never said Zeovit was the end all be all.. It was one of several things to help him deduce why his SPS were pale. Which is what he asked for.
And when someone tells you that they're going to get amazing colors out of their SPS by showing you pictures of their Blastos and chalices... I can't help but warn them that SPS aren't the same. You can have super bright LPS and still have brown SPS. I'm sure everyone can agree with me here..
I never said it's IMPOSSIBLE to gain the same colors that Dan does. I don't run Zeovit either and I'm getting pretty good coloration out of my SPS as well..
I came here simply to help inform someone and give back to the community, but they've turned around and said I don't know what I'm talking about..
But anyways I'm done with this thread. Like scorpius said, it's not going anywhere good.
Well I didn't really direct any post to anyone. But yea lets agree on one things. What you posted above is exactly what lead to reefer on being misformed. Not entirely but you didn't explain why. So let me help. Acropora are less forgiving vs lps and softies that can't thrive in higher p03, low lighting or high and even with ph or alk swinging a bit vs an acropora where if parameter aren't stable and nutrient are high they can easily STN RTN or brown out. I'm hoping someone can use that. Better explanation held other to understand vs saying if you have (X)then (Z) will happen instead of skipping (Y) and get full detail and have an conversation

swnoob

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I guess all the troll and snake oil can't comprehend my last post. I may not have all the answer or know everything. But I do have more time on my hand probably then most and with that time I use to inform myself with respected people in the hobby with proof. Even BRS have a series put equipment and etc to the test. Which is awesome. And with all info I gather my own hypothesis and apply it. I actually use my brain. I know it's so hard this day and age to not be on the phone looking on Facebook vs collecting information. And I gather info and test myself time to time. I don't go believing everything I hear. I believe being informed is probably the best thing for success.

By your logic arrogance alone will color up your corals. This is your first shipment of sps and your telling others what it takes to color up coral? Am I missing something here? Care to share a picture of your tank with all these magically colored sticks of yours?

Looks like you've done some reading on zeovit. Awesome! But actually applying it is not as easy. If you did read on it you would know that coral grown in a true zeovit system have a distinct color tone. That's what everybody is trying to tell you. Do you have to run zeovit to gain color? Absolutely not!

I hope you do color them up within a couple months like you say.

OP
OP
Emmagmrtz

Emmagmrtz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
By your logic arrogance alone will color up your corals. This is your first shipment of sps and your telling others what it takes to color up coral? Am I missing something here? Care to share a picture of your tank with all these magically colored sticks of yours?

Looks like you've done some reading on zeovit. Awesome! But actually applying it is not as easy. If you did read on it you would know that coral grown in a true zeovit system have a distinct color tone. That's what everybody is trying to tell you. Do you have to run zeovit to gain color? Absolutely not!

I hope you do color them up within a couple months like you say.
Pretty funny I like that. Sps, lps and softies are all coral. Am I correct? So they have all similar requirement to keep growing and to color up. Different flow and lighting and acro and sps heavily really on alk and cal to build skeletal structure. If you read my previous comment. I said knowledge is the best for success. Now that comment wasn't for you either but I guess your butt hurts so I hurt your little poor heart. And I posted many pics of my system of n earlier date. Yet an idiot with good husbandry can achieve same goal but knowledge is key. Like I said I learn before I spend $$$ which I did and I've experimented. Because I couldn't believe all the bs in this hobby and worst yet after learning all the bs lfs tell y'all

OP
OP
Emmagmrtz

Emmagmrtz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@swnoob and yet you didn't post any detail info of how a zeovit works or anything. And you don't have hands on experience. I would like anyone who is currently using one that still keeping up with this thread to make a little test. Have 2 system and with similar flow and light and parameter except obvious ULNS for the zeovit and use a 2 frag from the same colony and see if there anything true about color. I don't buy it unless the price is shown

Oldreefer44

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Suggest reading some of Mike Palletta's articles on the subject. Very few of the outstanding tanks noted run Zeovit yet make almost all of us jealous with the amount of color that their corals give off. In most cases there are both LPS and SPS thriving in those tanks. Having been in the hobby for 30 plus years I too have received shipments that appeared to be bleached.. In my experience, the predictor as to whether or not the piece is recoverable is whether or not there are loose zooxanthellae in the shipping bag.
Also, never found that constantly insulting people worked either!

OP
OP
Emmagmrtz

Emmagmrtz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Suggest reading some of Mike Palletta's articles on the subject. Very few of the outstanding tanks noted run Zeovit yet make almost all of us jealous with the amount of color that their corals give off. In most cases there are both LPS and SPS thriving in those tanks. Having been in the hobby for 30 plus years I too have received shipments that appeared to be bleached.. In my experience, the predictor as to whether or not the piece is recoverable is whether or not there are loose zooxanthellae in the shipping bag.
Also, never found that constantly insulting people worked either!
i try not too, but it help and getting rid of people who can't not have an informative conversation on a said subject. They just believe whatever they hear. Problem is that I have many hobbies all which I do research on and in every one I find people like so. Sorry if anyone is offended. My pet peeve is I hate people who don't have any experience or any reference to which there talking about. Or can't break it down and explain. But thank you I will look into Mike post and see what I find

joseserrano

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is really tough, its understandable that shipping puts these animals in unpredictable conditions, you can prepare as a shipper, but things happen. Regarding the buyer, you spent a pretty penny to purchase fragments of specific corals for what they specifically look like, when they show up looking drastically different, it is a tough pill to swallow. I do not know the solution here, I guess it boils down to a customer service issue, and possibly better shipping practices/methods, but I thought I try and get things back on track.

ryanmell

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So this thread started yesterday I am just curious if you lost any of the frags overnight or do they still look the same?

slojmn

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Pretty funny I like that. Sps, lps and softies are all coral. Am I correct? So they have all similar requirement to keep growing and to color up. Different flow and lighting and acro and sps heavily really on alk and cal to build skeletal structure. If you read my previous comment. I said knowledge is the best for success. Now that comment wasn't for you either but I guess your *** hurts so I hurt your little poor heart. And I posted many pics of my system of n earlier date. Yet an idiot with good husbandry can achieve same goal but knowledge is key. Like I said I learn before I spend $$$ which I did and I've experimented. Because I couldn't believe all the bs in this hobby and worst yet after learning all the bs lfs tell y'all

i try not too, but it help and getting rid of people who can't not have an informative conversation on a said subject. They just believe whatever they hear. Problem is that I have many hobbies all which I do research on and in every one I find people like so. Sorry if anyone is offended. My pet peeve is I hate people who don't have any experience or any reference to which there talking about. Or can't break it down and explain. But thank you I will look into Mike post and see what I find

SPS are corals, just like LPS are corals, but keeping SPS is way more challenging than LPS, despite that they are both 'corals'. There is a lot of misinformation in the hobby. Being a discerning researcher is awesome. There is nothing like true experience, years and years of experience. Some folks here, myself included, do have a lot of years of experience. My earlier comments were purely positive experiences with the vendor in question and some of my knowledge on how a lot of acros can get stressed in shipping. Not all but a good many.

I ran Zeovit for close to 4 years, I know A LOT about the Zeovit system. I found, for me, that the zeo system was less forgiving than my non zeovit system. In my Zeo tank I had decent color, really decent on many SPS, but any fluctuations from temp to any parameter swing(even small) sent corals downhill. I usually could save most but in the end I got tired of living on the edge with the ULNS. It's fiunny, I am dealing with too low of nutrients in my present SPS tank and I have some really pale SPS, many are fine but enough are pale that I know I have to work on increasing nutrients. Having been around a long time, shipping and receiving shipments of SPS, and keeping SPS along with LPS, I know it is really impossible to know what a frag will do over time in various systems. Some will color up exactly the same, others will morph. Some frags will die back to a nub and then rebound. Some frags STN over a month, some RTN a week later. In the end I reserve judgement until I see the coral as a small mini colony, then I am either super happy or maybe disappointed. I really hope things turn out well for your frags. If your tank is stable and your params are in line all of those frags should do quite well. Take care and keep us posted for sure.

swnoob

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
SPS are corals, just like LPS are corals, but keeping SPS is way more challenging than LPS, despite that they are both 'corals'. There is a lot of misinformation in the hobby. Being a discerning researcher is awesome. There is nothing like true experience, years and years of experience. Some folks here, myself included, do have a lot of years of experience. My earlier comments were purely positive experiences with the vendor in question and some of my knowledge on how a lot of acros can get stressed in shipping. Not all but a good many.

I ran Zeovit for close to 4 years, I know A LOT about the Zeovit system. I found, for me, that the zeo system was less forgiving than my non zeovit system. In my Zeo tank I had decent color, really decent on many SPS, but any fluctuations from temp to any parameter swing(even small) sent corals downhill. I usually could save most but in the end I got tired of living on the edge with the ULNS. It's fiunny, I am dealing with too low of nutrients in my present SPS tank and I have some really pale SPS, many are fine but enough are pale that I know I have to work on increasing nutrients. Having been around a long time, shipping and receiving shipments of SPS, and keeping SPS along with LPS, I know it is really impossible to know what a frag will do over time in various systems. Some will color up exactly the same, others will morph. Some frags will die back to a nub and then rebound. Some frags STN over a month, some RTN a week later. In the end I reserve judgement until I see the coral as a small mini colony, then I am either super happy or maybe disappointed. I really hope things turn out well for your frags. If your tank is stable and your params are in line all of those frags should do quite well. Take care and keep us posted for sure.

Well said. I find this hobby humbles most people that have been around for years.

I've been keeping sps for 8 years and still face some challenges. Thats what makes this hobby great. If it was so easy we'd all have a reef worthy of TOTM

OP
OP
Emmagmrtz

Emmagmrtz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is really tough, its understandable that shipping puts these animals in unpredictable conditions, you can prepare as a shipper, but things happen. Regarding the buyer, you spent a pretty penny to purchase fragments of specific corals for what they specifically look like, when they show up looking drastically different, it is a tough pill to swallow. I do not know the solution here, I guess it boils down to a customer service issue, and possibly better shipping practices/methods, but I thought I try and get things back on track.
Well honestly l. After talking to him and some input from other buyers. Seem like it's normal. But I have friend who are huge into sps and they haven't experienced this. Now I think I mite have higher standards then most. Bag temp were a little low and they seem packed well. But I don't know what the shipper can have done more to ensure less stress. I don't think much can be done, more or less how the acro take the sudden changes I guess. But I'm not happy with these. A couple don't have any pylop extensions but I cant say there dead and gone either. Only one that is doing well is the Jedi acro. Now if all the other acro came like the Jedi then I would have cared

Set it and forget it: Do you change your aquascape as your corals grow?

• I regularly change something in my aquascape.

Votes: 8 6.5%
  • I occasionally change something in my aquascape.

Votes: 34 27.4%
  • I rarely change something in my aquascape.

Votes: 61 49.2%
  • I never change something in my aquascape.

Votes: 18 14.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.4%
Back