Bleached sps from shipping

Emmagmrtz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
ok as title state I received some sps that I was really excited about. I've always like lps and softies but I saw some nice acro that I couldn't resist to own. . Any who I received lps and softies from other vendor and reefer with no problems. I paid for $450 for the pack shown below and it was pack well but I don't think 1 heat pad was enough. That being said I know that he has a 2hr doa but being that they got beaten up from shipping/weather and obviously I didn't pay $450 for bleached sps. What's my guarantee that these will pull through. I understand if they were received as pictured and your water parameter Is what killed them. But what you think about 1 heat pad. It was still warm but in this weather? Also if you know the seller please don't say his name. It more of a question. I don't like bashing people or vendor plus I waiting for him to get back to me. Thanks

IMG_0645.PNG

IMG_0641.JPG

IMG_0644.JPG

Reefrookie220

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is pretty common for shipping to stress sps, some get color back in weeks, some months. Asas long as your params are good and your providing the right environment, and they have flesh, they will come bank

OP
OP
Emmagmrtz

Emmagmrtz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
2-3 aren't as bad as I thought bad not colored up as pictured. Last photo is of my pink setosa as reference

IMG_0651.JPG

IMG_0654.JPG

IMG_0655.JPG

IMG_0656.JPG

Reefrookie220

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
These frags just need some loving! Take good care of the tank and they will bounce right back.

Not as bleached as you thought, just remember nothing shipped ever looks like the vendor photo completely. If it did , there would be no "high-end"

kdino1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I actually think they look fine. The original seller may have a different lighting setup than you, may do some post processing to bump up colors...all depends. I don't think what you have received warrants any refund. But that's just me. They are nice pieces though!

OP
OP
Emmagmrtz

Emmagmrtz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
These frags just need some loving! Take good care of the tank and they will bounce right back.

Not as bleached as you thought, just remember nothing shipped ever looks like the vendor photo completely. If it did , there would be no "high-end"
I've always received 1:1 from everyone I bought from. Some vendor don't photo shop and doctor pics but if you see my rainbow chalice vendor pic and mine. Well beside crappy iphone. It looks exactly like pictured

IMG_0182.PNG

IMG_0225.JPG

OP
OP
Emmagmrtz

Emmagmrtz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I actually think they look fine. The original seller may have a different lighting setup than you, may do some post processing to bump up colors...all depends. I don't think what you have received warrants any refund. But that's just me. They are nice pieces though!
I just can't tell which are which

luke33

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMO this is the difficult part in shipping SPS. I would say 8/10 times the sps i receive are always dulled out when i receive them. This goes for everyone I have bought from. I even had a convo with one of our vendors here talking about this and we did a test to see how bad they bleached out in shipping. I got pics right before he bagged them and water temp, then as I received them I took pics and water temp. It was amazing how dull they were in a 12hr period even though the temp stayed really consistent. It sucks imo, but if you want a variety of frags you don't have alot of choices. The good thing is they look to have PE so should bounce back in a few weeks to months.

Generally it takes atleast a few weeks for me, and mostly two months.

luke33

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also I just wanted to add I have some of the vendors sps above and they are absolutely gorgeous pieces with great color like the original pic.

reef80

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In my experience bleach is fine if polyps are out and there are some color on the flesh. It's bad when you see a quick deterioration leading to a fast white color and flesh is vanishing away which utimately leads to RTN within 36 hours of receiving. I once received a pack of corals where their was only one heat pack on the top of the box and where most of the coral on the bottom all rtn on me. I suppose heat goes up and it wasn't properly regulated...and who know the conditions and temp in which they travel in...plane, holding center, mail handeling, etc etc...anyhow. stand up guy and refunded me for those sps. I also heard that sps ship better in the cold then heat...anyhow, I hope they bounce back for you...or you are otherwise compensated...

OP
OP
Emmagmrtz

Emmagmrtz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well I just can't see myself paying $450 that turned out to be like this. My girlfriend is ticked. She bought me them

swnoob

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I purchased from the same vendor and I thought the same when I received my frags. They may looked bleached but they are just fine. Lighting plays a huge role.

Also keep in mind that the frags come from a ULN system so maintaining those colors pictured will be even more difficult.

I have not been able to get his frags to color up as shown on his original pictures.

OP
OP
Emmagmrtz

Emmagmrtz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I purchased from the same vendor and I thought the same when I received my frags. They may looked bleached but they are just fine. Lighting plays a huge role.

Also keep in mind that the frags come from a ULN system so maintaining those colors pictured will be even more difficult.

I have not been able to get his frags to color up as shown on his original pictures.
picture above of my rainbow chalice came from Reeferdirect along with many other coral and he aswell have an ULNS and I didn't have one bit of problem with that from or any for that matter. Now I've done test of lighting and lot of people are misinformed. Yes a coral can take different characteristics. And I own both t5 in my 60g cube and led on my frag tank. I never had a problem getting a frag to show there fluorescent color in each system and even one to another which I did more time then I would like. Just a disclaimer and future reference. Unlike many hobbyists. I actually test and do things normally someone say you can't. I that person that ask why then actually test it and prove it. I see a lot of other reefer that just do it just because. I hate miss information being pass and which this vendor tried but I nicely had a conversation about a couple topic.

Scorpius

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I purchase my online coral from WWC and Unique Corals. Every coral I have purchased from these vendors has either browned out or lost some of their color, but what do you expect from being in a box with no light and no flow for almost 24hrs. If you can get polyp extension with no tissue loss after shipment consider yourself lucky. They will recover in time. Mine always do. The fact we can even get Acropora through the mail alive is a miracle in of itself.

OP
OP
Emmagmrtz

Emmagmrtz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm gonna keep em there and let them recover or not. I don't wanna make a buck on them. But I doubt I would ever ship sps for this matter. I don't want anyone to receive there coral looking like this. I've had friend received sps from wwc with no issue

Set it and forget it: Do you change your aquascape as your corals grow?

• I regularly change something in my aquascape.

Votes: 8 6.9%
  • I occasionally change something in my aquascape.

Votes: 30 25.9%
  • I rarely change something in my aquascape.

Votes: 57 49.1%
  • I never change something in my aquascape.

Votes: 18 15.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.6%
Back