OP
OP
Emmagmrtz

Emmagmrtz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Idk but I'm sure lfs and vendor rarely receive bleach colony and etc. i guess it happen more then I think.

slojmn

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have received frags from that same vendor, they definitely get a little stressed from shipping but he has gorgeous SPS and the frags I received turned into gorgeous corals after some time, growth, and acclimation to my tank parameters. They all looked pretty good as far as I can tell from your pictures. Bleached really is white flesh, not pale, truly white, void of zooxanthellae. I don't see bleached here. They need a little time to acclimate and recover. I'm surprised you are getting replacements as they all look alive and fairly decent after shipping, but he is a top notch guy so really no surprise he is going to do whatever to make you happy.

sps_monger

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't think they look bad at all. The lighting is not the same and I'm almost positive there is some sort of filter action going on in the original photo. (Maybe not, but there is a ton of blue light there). As long as you have good communication with the seller. I would keep an eye on them. All coral stress out and the water in those little bags prop in ph within hours. Just kinda part of the game. But if the polyps are out... usually means those guys are going to color up just fine. Just 2 pennies. Good luck!

OP
OP
Emmagmrtz

Emmagmrtz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't think they look bad at all. The lighting is not the same and I'm almost positive there is some sort of filter action going on in the original photo. (Maybe not, but there is a ton of blue light there). As long as you have good communication with the seller. I would keep an eye on them. All coral stress out and the water in those little bags prop in ph within hours. Just kinda part of the game. But if the polyps are out... usually means those guys are going to color up just fine. Just 2 pennies. Good luck!
Well we're keeping in touch. We'll see. I'm pretty relax. Gf is all ticked off

ALs FLorida Corals

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I ordered from Dan before. One of the corals was on point with the color. The other not so much. Some sps can take up to a year in getting its color back after entering a new tank so just wait. As long as u have good parameters and lighting they will color back up

OP
OP
Emmagmrtz

Emmagmrtz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I ordered from Dan before. One of the corals was on point with the color. The other not so much. Some sps can take up to a year in getting its color back after entering a new tank so just wait. As long as u have good parameters and lighting they will color back up
A year? Wow!!

Scorpius

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm gonna keep em there and let them recover or not. I don't wanna make a buck on them. But I doubt I would ever ship sps for this matter. I don't want anyone to receive there coral looking like this. I've had friend received sps from wwc with no issue
Like I said shipping stresses Acropora out terribly and there will be some color change. My post was made to get you to not bug the selller for new coral.

cperry7467

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm in the same boat with a different seller. 2 died in shipping and the other 8 bleached worse than yours. As of right now I'm getting credit for the 2 DOA but the other 8 it appears it's up to me to recover.

3817fee706c4f38cf25be8c4d59cf1f5.jpg

swnoob

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
picture above of my rainbow chalice came from Reeferdirect along with many other coral and he aswell have an ULNS and I didn't have one bit of problem with that from or any for that matter. Now I've done test of lighting and lot of people are misinformed. Yes a coral can take different characteristics. And I own both t5 in my 60g cube and led on my frag tank. I never had a problem getting a frag to show there fluorescent color in each system and even one to another which I did more time then I would like. Just a disclaimer and future reference. Unlike many hobbyists. I actually test and do things normally someone say you can't. I that person that ask why then actually test it and prove it. I see a lot of other reefer that just do it just because. I hate miss information being pass and which this vendor tried but I nicely had a conversation about a couple topic.

Sounds like this is the first pack of sps you've had shipped to you. Like others have said the frags will stress out and lose color when shipped. Consider yourself lucky this vendor went out of his way to keep you happy. That is not the norm. Most vendors will only replace if it is dead when it arrives.

Coloring up sps is not as easy as lps. As you can see by the countless threads on all forums with people asking how to get a certain color to pop out of a particular coral. It can take weeks or it can take several months regardless of which vendor it came from.

OP
OP
Emmagmrtz

Emmagmrtz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm in the same boat with a different seller. 2 died in shipping and the other 8 bleached worse than yours. As of right now I'm getting credit for the 2 DOA but the other 8 it appears it's up to me to recover.

3817fee706c4f38cf25be8c4d59cf1f5.jpg
Wow that looks bad as hell.

OP
OP
Emmagmrtz

Emmagmrtz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sounds like this is the first pack of sps you've had shipped to you. Like others have said the frags will stress out and lose color when shipped. Consider yourself lucky this vendor went out of his way to keep you happy. That is not the norm. Most vendors will only replace if it is dead when it arrives.

Coloring up sps is not as easy as lps. As you can see by the countless threads on all forums with people asking how to get a certain color to pop out of a particular coral. It can take weeks or it can take several months regardless of which vendor it came from.
First shipment of sps yes. Like mentioned before i see it happens more then it should I have many friend that haven't experienced this and I didn't expect to. If I wanted pale or brown coral. I can pick them up for $5 a pop locally at lps or reefer grow out. I didn't expect to receive this. IMO I paid $450 for what's pictured. If I would of known this would of happened I wouldn't bought any that required to ship. Or paid a lot less. It seem that a lot of people as you see above. Take long time to color up or even won't appear to look as close. Yes I unhappy. Image my gf who paid for it. Anyway the replacement was offered. I didn't ask. I sent info and pics and I said ok. Who know if I will even get it. Because he replied pretty quick to sell and when I had questions he wasn't around but really was posting more stuff. Then forgot to ship Monday then had to remind him later Tuesday to ship. I guess he was busy but I never experienced this. Reefsirect seem one of the best place I bought from

pa1ntbru5h

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've been trying to help you out in PMs but I don't think you're getting what I'm trying to tell you...
I mean no offense by saying this, but you should take the advice from the people here who are replying to you.
SPS are not the same as your LPS and Softies..
Sure your tank can keep LPS nice and bright, but that's easy... Just because your LPS are colored up does not mean your SPS will be.
SPS usually need pristine and very stable water quality.

Last edited:

AllTankDylan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This happens to shipped SPS most times. They will color up as long as your system is stable.

Dan also runs ZEOvit and T5's, so take the into consideration while you wait for them to color up if you don't run the exact same setup. If you don't run ZEO, they may never look as colorful depending on your setup.

And just tell your girlfriend what everyone else and I have said. Dan is a really reputable seller with amazing pieces.

(P.S. They really don't look bad IMO.) just give it time.

Graffiti Spot

Cat and coral maker
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I purchase my online coral from WWC and Unique Corals. Every coral I have purchased from these vendors has either browned out or lost some of their color, but what do you expect from being in a box with no light and no flow for almost 24hrs. If you can get polyp extension with no tissue loss after shipment consider yourself lucky. They will recover in time. Mine always do. The fact we can even get Acropora through the mail alive is a miracle in of itself.

I would guess the corals you received were brown before they were shipped. Acros do not brown out from shipping, just loose color or bleach.

Op, I purchased a pack from this vendor. Most of them looked way worse than yours and a few doa's. The box was very cold, they probably should have used two heat packs in my case as well. I would have been much happier with your frags. I think the way he keeps those corals, makes them very susceptible to bleaching from stress especially when shipped in colder weather. I am surprised he offered you the money back, he would be out of business if every customer was that unhappy.
As for the pictures, vendors will process the images however they can to make them look very bright and colorful. Even using filters and different lighting that is not meant to be a main light source. I don't even buy from these vendors anymore. I i like to stick to wild and maricultured stuff, oddly enough I can tell what I am getting easier than I can when buying frags from some of these vendors! It is disappointing to get frags that are dull and bland when the vendor pic looks like a nuclear sunrise, I understand how your GF feels. But that's how it goes when shipping sps. Risky.

OP
OP
Emmagmrtz

Emmagmrtz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've been trying to help you out in PMs but I don't think you're getting what I'm trying to tell you...
I mean no offense by saying this, but you should take the advice from the people here who are replying to you.
SPS are not the same as your LPS and Softies..
Sure your tank can keep LPS nice and bright, but that's easy... Just because the your LPS are colored up does not mean your SPS will be.
SPS usually need pristine and very stable water quality.
No offense i don't believe you know what your talking about. Zeovit system are just carbon dosing aka (nutrient export) and yes they dose amino acid and etc. all which are in popular salt brand. Put it this way. I guess the only way is too prove it. Just wait a couple in month and I will make a sub post and show how much color I can achieve in a basic system. Vs just beleieing the salesman at the desk

pa1ntbru5h

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No offense i don't believe you know what your talking about. Zeovit system are just carbon dosing aka (nutrient export) and yes they dose amino acid and etc. all which are in popular salt brand. Put it this way. I guess the only way is too prove it. Just wait a couple in month and I will make a sub post and show how much color I can achieve in a basic system. Vs just beleieing the salesman at the desk

lol alright I guess everyone here that's telling you he runs Zeovit is wrong.. We're all trying to warn you that your SPS have a high chance of not coloring up to what his pictures show because of that reason alone, but what do we know? No point in making a thread to ask for help if you're not willing to accept it.

Making aqua concoctions: Have you ever tried the Reef Moonshiner Method?

• I currently use the moonshiner method.

Votes: 28 22.6%
  • I don’t currently use the moonshiner method, but I have in the past.

Votes: 2 1.6%
  • I have not used the moonshiner method.

Votes: 89 71.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 4.0%
Back