Bleaching and lost a plate coral recently

Bluematt1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi guys I posted back in December reference a long tentacle plate coral dying which unfortunately did pass, I have noticed today another coral starting to strip, again my water parameters KH 8.4 Calcium 460 Magnesium 1340 Phosphate 0.02 Nitrate around 16ppm
Just seems odd as it’s not a recent added coral nor have I changed any of my routine?
I have other corals like the green Goni flying and growing attached image
Is it sometimes bad luck?
Any thoughts appreciated

29F1C1C9-3869-4AD2-92A0-2251031EB034.jpeg F1CAE2B7-ABF9-465D-8FE7-57CE32733AA0.jpeg F8C14E1E-1CF9-4FDC-82BA-E158489D5B0F.jpeg

Dkmoo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As I continue my PH crusade, I have to ask - what ph do you maintain in your tank, how much does it change daily, and how wide range has it fluctuated in the past year.

OP
OP
B

Bluematt1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As I continue my PH crusade, I have to ask - what ph do you maintain in your tank, how much does it change daily, and how wide range has it fluctuated in the past year.
I will be honest I maintain a steady KH level and haven't looked into my PH as this seemed to stay stable when I'd set it up for months, surely if the PH was out it would be linked with an unstable KH? and others would suffer?

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
First thing may be the sand as if sand got on it, could have irritated and stressed it out. (pic is showing sand)

also:
Alk high
ph low
too low light
high salinity ( assure your tester is calibrated)
phosphate high

Dkmoo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I will be honest I maintain a steady KH level and haven't looked into my PH as this seemed to stay stable when I'd set it up for months, surely if the PH was out it would be linked with an unstable KH? and others would suffer?
I see - yeah np its a commonly overlooked area on how important PH is to coral growth and coral calcification. a stable Kh of 8.5 could mean a ph anywhere from 7.7 to 8.3 depending on other factors in you tank so a stable ph of 7.7 is actually not very good for the long term health of your coral compared to a stable ph of 8.3. I've posted detailed information and how important PH affects coral longevity in a few other threads that you can check out here, or here,
Basically corals grown in lower Ph tend to have shorter life span and more sensitive to changes/stressors while showing no outward signs of bad health over a long period of time.

here's Randy's article on this matter where i got a lot of my info. It's a bit of an old article but what's in there is based on a proven scientific fact on the chemistry of calcium carbonate formation and ph.

BRSTV also did a recent video on the matter here:

BonelessEvil

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm losing my plate coral as well, and orange one. It was fine, but I'm thinking the tank reaching 82.5° is what killed it. My pH has been quite good, ranging from about 8.0-8.34. I run my tank at about 9.0 dKH and calcium I try to keep around 440. Both of these numbers I got from worldwide corals. Of course, I don't keep them exactly at those levels and sometimes the calcium goes up a little higher, like 490 max. It does also dropped down to about 410, but not overnight.

so is it just that I let the temperature get that high? It only did that on one afternoon, but for about a week, my temperature was getting to at least 80.5-81° during the day.

The blame: I have a 32 core AMD processor running in the room. This thing doesn't run at less than 60° C – and it's liquid cooled. Frustrating.

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 53 48.6%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 60 55.0%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 25 22.9%
  • None.

Votes: 28 25.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 8.3%
Back