Bleaching Live Rock - Not totally bleached...

Stevorino

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey all -

I am in the early stages of a new build and have removed ~30-40 lbs of my favorite rock in the current setup to bleach and re-cycle for the new tank. I essentially don't want any of my GSP/Aiptasia/Nuisance growth coming into this new build (I know it will happen eventually, but want to start as clean as possible).

I have had the live rock in a 1:10 Gallon Bleach solution for 2+ weeks, here is how it looks as of this morning:

IMG_4422.jpg

There is still some purple on these rocks, which surprised me. The rocks essentially have looked this way since Day 3 of the bleaching process.

I just wanted another set of eyes on this to confirm that this is coralline algae or some kind of stain, and it's not GSP that is coming back to life on me in the new build LOL

The rocks in the bottom are Caribsea life rock and came purple, so I'm not concerned about those.

Thanks!

OP
OP
Stevorino

Stevorino

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If it's been in bleach and fresh water for 2 weeks there is no way coralline algae would have survived along with practically anything else i imagine
That's my thought as well, I'm just stunned there's a purple stain on these things...

livinlifeinBKK

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's my thought as well, I'm just stunned there's a purple stain on these things...
It is surprising that the color isn't bleached more than it is...maybe your bleach wasn't quite as concentrated as you thought...my concern would be that if it's not strong enough to bleach that shade of purple, I'd be concerned about the possibility of the nuisance growth and aiptasia you were trying to kill having possibly survived...

OP
OP
Stevorino

Stevorino

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It is surprising that the color isn't bleached more than it is...maybe your bleach wasn't quite as concentrated as you thought...my concern would be that if it's not strong enough to bleach that shade of purple, I'd be concerned about the possibility of the nuisance growth and aiptasia you were trying to kill having possibly survived...
You are verbalizing my concerns better than I can myself :grinning-face-with-smiling-eyes:

Unless someone else chimes in that this is a normal part of the bleaching process, I may dump this water and do it again with a fresh batch just to be safe. I have plenty of time, so I'm happy to take extra steps to do it right.

OP
OP
Stevorino

Stevorino

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For anyone who digs this post up down the line:

I went to the LFS today and they assured me it's totally fine and likely some coralline algae that stained it purple. Moving forward to rinsing and de-chlorinating tomorrow. Thanks for the help!

OP
OP
Stevorino

Stevorino

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The bleach evaporated or was neutralized a long time ago if you haven't added more is probably the problem. It may still smell like bleach but it's lost its effectiveness. You could dump water and rebleach?
I may very well do this to be safe once I rinse rock and take a closer look....

EeyoreIsMySpiritAnimal

Just another girl who likes fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For anyone who digs this post up down the line:

I went to the LFS today and they assured me it's totally fine and likely some coralline algae that stained it purple. Moving forward to rinsing and de-chlorinating tomorrow. Thanks for the help!
No need for de-chlor unless you're worried about chlorine in your tap water. Chlorine dissipates within 24 hours once exposed to light.

jabberwock

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In my experience, bleach continues to work for a long time. If I bleach a deer skull, after a few years it becomes brittle. If I boil it, it remains strong for a lot longer. Just an observation for input.

RSNJReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
If you let it air dry for a day only, when you put it in water, wait 24 hours while it’s in the new tank with water then test the water for chlorine with chlorine test strips. If no chlorine, start your cycle, but if there’s chlorine, add some prime, wait 24 hours, test with another test strip, and if all clear start the cycle.

for any new tank build I bleach cure with 30-40% bleach to water for a week, then soak in rodi for 24 hours, then air dry for 24 hours, then put in the tank with water, wait 24 hours, then test with the test strips. Of the 3 times I’ve done this with new tank builds, 1 out of the three times I had residual chlorine in the tank water, but a little bit of prime took care of it.

Kodski

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When I bleached my rock, it was all different shades of colors. When I took it out I rinsed everything with tap water to get the majority of the bleach off. Then I let everything sit with a fan on it for a week to completely dry out. Remember that just because the outside looks dry doesn't mean the center of the rock is. After a week of drying under a fan, I soaked it in RO/DI water and added Prime just to be sure. I haven't had any issues with my rock or tank and its been running for over a year.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 19 14.2%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 9 6.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 21 15.7%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 75 56.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 6.7%
Back