Bleaching Walt Disney?

Ling_Thing

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Stop running gfo! Sps love high nutrients and high p04 especially. I have to dose neophos in my ato container if I don’t my acros start to lose color. And I don’t run any refugium, ats, gfo, Carbon, Carbon dosing and I don’t even run my skimmer anymore as my tank is just packed with acros. They are like sponges for nutrients. The more you have the less nutrient export you need.

HB AL

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Corals especially acros can be finicky. I bought 2 very small frags of WD around 4 months ago and placed them by each other, within inches and woke up one morning around a week later and one had rtn’d overnight, and the other one is growing great, definitely a head scratcher.

SeaDweller

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Stop running gfo! Sps love high nutrients and high p04 especially. I have to dose neophos in my ato container if I don’t my acros start to lose color. And I don’t run any refugium, ats, gfo, Carbon, Carbon dosing and I don’t even run my skimmer anymore as my tank is just packed with acros. They are like sponges for nutrients. The more you have the less nutrient export you need.
I don't know about HIGH... but they need PO4 for sure

waterskiguy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My opinion is to raise the no3 a little bit (either slow down on export or dose it to raise) and the po4 will come down to a healthy balance naturally. I had the exact same numbers, I took biopellets offline and they balanced out at 8-10 / .05-.06. Purigen is known to lower no3 too much, too fast, same as bio pellets.
Get the po4 down to .1 or a little lower, up the par and you should be good to go.

OP
OP
VR28man

VR28man

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I did my tests again tonight. Here are my results:
Kh: 7.1 (up by .5 kh since this AM)
Ca: 460-470 (up 10-30 since this AM)
PO4: 0.12 and 0.15 (down about 0.03 compared to two days ago)
NO3: 5 (no change)

Overall, it seems the All-for-Reef is effecting the tank (i.e. is not inert), so it seems:

a) for whatever reason consumption has doubled since I started the cannister filter+matrix+Phosbond (GFO type thing)+purigen

b) PO4 is going down by about 0.01-0.015 per day.

I will start dosing 7ml versus my previous 3.5ml All-For-Reef daily starting tomorrow, and monitor KH daily for a while, and then probably weekly (in the hopes that any change won't show up beyond measurable levels. I am a bit concerned about the consensus on GFO here, BUT I will still stay frosty. Especially since I want to start coral feeding again.

Charlie’s Frags

Follow me on Instagram @Charlies Frags
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you know what PAR it's under? I have one of my colonies under 500+ PAR with no problem.

BigR Walt Disney.jpg
Looks like a healthy/happy WD to me.
7D602575-99F0-47B2-9912-40315E73352A.jpeg

OP
OP
VR28man

VR28man

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I believe gfo can lower alk slightly when you add a fresh batch to a tank.

yes, I saw that in another thread. That’s my tentative hypothesis about this, seeing how things have been. (don’t remember all my alk numbers off the top my head, will consult my notes later tonight)

anyway, this is the WD as of an hour ago. I had to temporarily move it for administrative purposes.) I think it’s grown a little since the OP.

lakai

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
yes, I saw that in another thread. That’s my tentative hypothesis about this, seeing how things have been. (don’t remember all my alk numbers off the top my head, will consult my notes later tonight)

anyway, this is the WD as of an hour ago. I had to temporarily move it for administrative purposes.) I think it’s grown a little since the OP.

I've never seen a bleached acro with such great polyp extension.

OP
OP
VR28man

VR28man

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've never seen a bleached acro with such great polyp extension.
Yeah, that’s kind of what I thought. But I’m still a but concerned. It still looks very white to me this am(in real life, not a video lol) But with good extension and with growth.

Last edited:

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 35 31.8%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 26 23.6%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 19.1%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 25.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back