Bleigh's 60 gallon cube

siggy

My Aquariums Going Again
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the video. Mine arrived last week, perfect timing.
I see you meter out with the valve, I never thought abut doing it that way...probably keeps them pressurized ?
Hey @Fin how do you get the GFO to Gravitate?:p

Fin

Professional Procrastinator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I only use the mini BRS reactor on my nano and only run a small amount of carbon. It is mostly a softy tank, so I really haven't needed GFO. The tank went 22 days without power, with only an air pump keeping it going. No light. Surprisingly, most of the softies and LPS survived, but are not in the best of shape. They are coming around now though.

OP
OP
Bleigh

Bleigh

The best bad influence
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the video. Mine arrived last week, perfect timing.
I see you meter out with the valve, I never thought abut doing it that way...probably keeps them pressurized ?

Are you talking about the reactors? If so, it definitely helps. Do you control the speed in a different way? I 100% may be doing it wrong.

OP
OP
Bleigh

Bleigh

The best bad influence
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My tyree red cyphastrea is turning a little orangy-yellow. No clue if this is a typical color change or if it's mad. I have 2 others that are perfectly happy. You can see one in the bottom right corner.

IMG_6604 copy.jpg

OP
OP
Bleigh

Bleigh

The best bad influence
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just uploaded the first video of a sequence tracking ow well berghia nudibranchs get my aiptasia under control.

JoshH

Tank Status: Wet...ish, growing things....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The cartridges come with two sponges, so you are probably right about the instructions. Being a guy that doesn't follow directions, I only use one on the top when I run carbon. :)

Oh you rebel you! ;Nailbiting;Nailbiting

Fin

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just uploaded the first video of a sequence tracking ow well berghia nudibranchs get my aiptasia under control.

Nice video. I had a 20 gallon nano that I let get out of control and there were HUNDREDS of aiptasia, from very large to small in size. I introduced 8 Berghia and within two months there was not an aiptasia in sight. Berghia are the only thing that eats aiptasia exclusively, so there are no issues with them bothering anything else in the tank. Be careful when you place them in your tank. Don't put them where they can fall within reach of the aiptasia, because the nem will eat the Berghia. I had that happen when I added mine to the nano.

One topical treatment that I like and have found to work well when I first start noticing aiptasia popping up is "F-Aiptasia" by Frank's Tanks. It completely covers the aiptasia and helps prevent the release of spores or tissue that will develop into new aiptasias later on. I won't ever use Aiptasia X again, for the same reason you mentioned in the video.

Good luck with the Berghia!

F-Aiptasia.jpg

OP
OP
Bleigh

Bleigh

The best bad influence
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Berghia knocking out the aiptasia. At this rate they’ll be no more aiptasia by the time I finally get the YouTube video up of me putting them in.

Aiptasia Update 1: Berghias Doing Work

Daddy-o

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Redwood City, Ca. 94062 (San Francisco Bay Area)
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Berghia knocking out the aiptasia. At this rate they’ll be no more aiptasia by the time I finally get the YouTube video up of me putting them in.

Aiptasia Update 1: Berghias Doing Work

Nice! Glad they are working. I had great luck with Peps. from KP Aquatics. Ordered about 100 of them for all of our reefs.
Cheers! Mark

Fin

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Made a video about my Berghia Nudibranchs.

Aiptasia will definitely eat berghia if they can get hold of them. Be careful when introducing them and place them on the rockwork where they can get a good foothold and not directly above any aiptasia. I placed one of mine on a rock and it rolled off right into an aiptasia and it was immediately wrapped up and consumed. Expensive lesson. They will also propagate in the tank. I had a nano with hundreds of aiptasia - some very large - and put 8 berghia (less the one that got eaten) in and the tank was completely rid of them in about two months. If you have tried peppermint shrimp before, be sure to remove them before adding the berghia. They will also eat the nudibranchs.

OP
OP
Bleigh

Bleigh

The best bad influence
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Aiptasia will definitely eat berghia if they can get hold of them. Be careful when introducing them and place them on the rockwork where they can get a good foothold and not directly above any aiptasia. I placed one of mine on a rock and it rolled off right into an aiptasia and it was immediately wrapped up and consumed. Expensive lesson. They will also propagate in the tank. I had a nano with hundreds of aiptasia - some very large - and put 8 berghia (less the one that got eaten) in and the tank was completely rid of them in about two months. If you have tried peppermint shrimp before, be sure to remove them before adding the berghia. They will also eat the nudibranchs.

That’s sad. I’ve got quite a few In The tank already. I need to probably start pulling them and giving them to some local people who have aiptasia. That’s a lot of aiptasia in a small tank. No peppermint shrimp at the moment.

OP
OP
Bleigh

Bleigh

The best bad influence
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Full tank shot from tonight. I have got to figure out the trick to taking good picture. Lots of things are growing and happy! I need to do a water change though. I missed it yesterday. I had to clean my kiddos terribly disgusting room, and it wipes me.

OP
OP
Bleigh

Bleigh

The best bad influence
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looking good! I wish I could grow coralline like that. Mine is light pink. I like the purple.

I looked for clean up crew with the color corralling I wanted on their shell. lol

zbryant91

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Full tank shot from tonight. I have got to figure out the trick to taking good picture. Lots of things are growing and happy! I need to do a water change though. I missed it yesterday. I had to clean my kiddos terribly disgusting room, and it wipes me.

do you have a description or link to the larger frag rack? I have a couple of the smaller ones and they scratched up my tank because stuff got stuck between it and the glass.

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 71 37.8%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 63 33.5%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 13.3%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 28 14.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.5%
Back