Blenny attack!

azbigjohn

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm actually kind of surprised, as Nassarius snails are primarily carnivores, and go for meaty stuff, decay, and usually don't have much interest in algae.

Maybe drop a few pellets or meaty food away from the area you place the algae? I agree the blenny is defending his food source, but the snails shouldn't be competing for algae, unless they are out of food they want.

CindyKz

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think for my blenny it is more about territory than it is food. He doesn't like anything on the sand. The first coral I ever put on the sandbed was a favia glued to a small rock. Little butthead kept knocking it over.

OP
OP
TikiBird

TikiBird

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm actually kind of surprised, as Nassarius snails are primarily carnivores, and go for meaty stuff, decay, and usually don't have much interest in algae.

Maybe drop a few pellets or meaty food away from the area you place the algae? I agree the blenny is defending his food source, but the snails shouldn't be competing for algae, unless they are out of food they want.

I think you are right. I can't quite remember, but I think I put the algae in at the same time as I put some meaty frozen food in. I think the snails just happened to pop up where the algae clip was. Poor snails!

OP
OP
TikiBird

TikiBird

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The blenny did it again tonight! The snail popped up nowhere near the algae clip and the blenny watched it move around for a while and then attacked! I am so frustrated with him.

najer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As above, I don't think it will stop.
You could try feeding pellets at the opposite side of the tank to see if the nasas catch on to where they are and then feed pellets there just before you put the algae sheet?!

Katrina71

Learn, Laugh, Love
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I would give feeding on opposite sides a shot. Maybe 2 clips also. Try 1 hung at the height your Blenny normally feeds and 1 hung at a height that he never feeds.

Katrina71

Learn, Laugh, Love
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Southern buffets have dessert on both ends for the same reason.:)

OP
OP
TikiBird

TikiBird

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, as you guys said, once the blenny started making trouble, he doesn't seem to stop.

Tonight I tried the opposite-side-of-the-tank feeding. One of the nassarius snails popped up on the opposite side of the tank, but he didn't attack it.

But I thought he was up to something so I sat and watched the tank a long time. Just when I was about to go to bed thinking all was well, the blenny attacked one of my clownfish!!

Totally unprovoked (imo). I have a rock with a hole in the middle of it. The blenny watched the clown on the other side of the rock through the hole and then dashed through it and attacked the poor clown! And then he did it again! [emoji15]

Anybody near Sacramento, CA who wants a blenny with an attitude?

schwa6970

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OMG! My Algae Blenny is doing the exact same thing and its while there is a seaweed sheet in the tank . I thought i had the freak “Bully” Blenny I am totally surprised that there are others. It is only the Nassarius snails btw. Nothing else. The little bugger grabs a hold of them and throws them .

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 17 34.0%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 18.0%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 4 8.0%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 5 10.0%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 14 28.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 2.0%
Back