Blenny compatability

CD_Scapes

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just curious if a Sailfin Blenny (Emblemaria pandionis) would get along with a Roughhead Blenny (Acanthemblemaria aspera) in a fluval evo 13.5 tank? Tank is still in the planning phase and doing some extra research on fish compatability. Just not a ton of info on either fish from the looks of it. I know blenny with blenny can be iffy. Wanted y'alls opinion on if you think it could work.

cdemoss01

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just curious if a Sailfin Blenny (Emblemaria pandionis) would get along with a Roughhead Blenny (Acanthemblemaria aspera) in a fluval evo 13.5 tank? Tank is still in the planning phase and doing some extra research on fish compatability. Just not a ton of info on either fish from the looks of it. I know blenny with blenny can be iffy. Wanted y'alls opinion on if you think it could work.
most bennies are aggressive to fish that have the similar shape as itself
But some are good with each othe r

littlefoxx

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Really? A 1” rock work blenny and a 2.5” sand dwelling blenny wouldn’t work?
Not when you consider adult sizes of the blennies. I had a lawnmower and a bicolor in a six foot tank and they fought like no ones business. Theres not enough room in there for both, blennies do NOT like other blennies…

OP
OP
CD_Scapes

CD_Scapes

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not when you consider adult sizes of the blennies. I had a lawnmower and a bicolor in a six foot tank and they fought like no ones business. Theres not enough room in there for both, blennies do NOT like other blennies…
Those are the adult sizes

littlefoxx

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Those are the adult sizes
Yes I know, but Both are listed as minimum 20-30 gallon tank size, which is why I said I wouldnt but its your tank if you try it just have a backup plan. Like I said I had two blennies fight in a six foot 125 gallon tank, promptly rehomed one. No way would I put two in a 13 gallon. Just my experience and opinion :)

Cthulukelele

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Blennies have varied personalities. At the end of the day most compatibility questions are "this the most likely outcome but you may have success." That being said, you're asking for trouble with 2 similar body shape fish with variable temperament in a tiny tank.

Cthulukelele

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also looks like both of those fish are planktivores by in large which is likely why there is little info on them planktivores are often hard to keep happily fed and usually require at least a couple meaty feedings a day to truly thrive and not slowly waste away

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 13.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 6.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 23 15.4%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 84 56.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 11 7.4%
Back