Blenny has large wound

Kodski

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Today I came home to my tribal blenny with a large cut on his head. I just added him on Saturday and I know my orange stripe tang can be a bit aggressive but he usually settles down after a day or two and leaves the new comers be. He will chase everyone around every once and a while but nothing more than a short chase to the nearest rock. Well when I got home I saw that my tribal blenny has a nasty cut on his head which I can only assume was caused by the tang. The cut is into the flesh but doesn't appear to be debilitating the fish. The blenny is swimming around and eating just fine. The only odd behavior is he is now flicking like he has ich and biting at his own tail once and a while. There are no actual signs of ich though. The tang is leaving him alone for the time being. They were swimming and eating right next to each other several times with no aggression during feeding. Other than feeding a garlic rich diet, is there anything I can do for the blenny? Should I take him out and QT him? I don't know of any medicine that would help in a case like this though, so I fear just trying to catch him will do more harm than good.

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
It would be nice to see a picture. Wounds usually heal - with good nutrition and less stress. Whether to separate it depends (to me) - on 1) how easy it would be, 2) if the tang is still pestering it 3) If it looks infected - or like its getting worse. At that point, it probably needs an antibiotic treatment.

EDIT - will tag @Jay Hemdal who is the disease expert!

Arego

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Fish are very resilient. I had a trigger accidentally grab one of our mandarins and rip his eye and socket out and he lived and is doing great!

Here's the thread with pics of him.

Just keep a close eye he may go hide for a bit and act strange, but will probably heal up like ours and keep kicking. All the best

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 140 88.1%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 9 5.7%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 7 4.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 1.9%
Back