Blenny in tank with no algae

Indiana Jones

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I picked up a starry blenny last weekend but doesn’t appear to be eating any mysis shrimp or flakes when I feed. The tank doesn’t have any visible algae. Should I pick up some algae wafers?

fishguy242

Cronies..... INSERT BUILD THREAD BADGE HERE !!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
hi, pick up some nori.

OP
OP
I

Indiana Jones

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve tried mysis, brine, flakes, and the apex pellets, but hasn’t touched any of it that I noticed. I’ll look into seaweed pellets also. Thanks!

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
I picked up a starry blenny last weekend but doesn’t appear to be eating any mysis shrimp or flakes when I feed. The tank doesn’t have any visible algae. Should I pick up some algae wafers?
No Nori and eating algae is a myth- as many are under belief this and lawnmower blenny are carnivores. The trickiest part about keeping a blenny is making sure it gets enough to eat. You can tell this visually by looking at the abdomen, which should be a healthy rounded shape. A blenny with a pinched midriff isn’t finding enough food.
Although a blenny needs algae to survive, a common misconception is that it can survive on algae alone. Since blennies frequent shallow tropical waters, they find their sanctuary within the coral reefs. They circle areas with coral branches and sponges, scraping their way along the diverse sea bottom. Their feeding techniques are to pound and gnaw the coral, and as a result, they ingest detritus, or waste material primarily, from the coral. This includes bits of coral skeleton, sand, gravel, and other organic matter, such as fish eggs and tiny crustaceans.
Since a blenny in the wild does not subsist on solely algae, it stands to reason that their captive diet must be supplemented. If a blenny is not getting enough calcium carbonate in its diet, its condition will rapidly deteriorate.
But . . . do offer an occasional algae-based wafers or pellets.

OP
OP
I

Indiana Jones

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No Nori and eating algae is a myth- as many are under belief this and lawnmower blenny are carnivores. The trickiest part about keeping a blenny is making sure it gets enough to eat. You can tell this visually by looking at the abdomen, which should be a healthy rounded shape. A blenny with a pinched midriff isn’t finding enough food.
Although a blenny needs algae to survive, a common misconception is that it can survive on algae alone. Since blennies frequent shallow tropical waters, they find their sanctuary within the coral reefs. They circle areas with coral branches and sponges, scraping their way along the diverse sea bottom. Their feeding techniques are to pound and gnaw the coral, and as a result, they ingest detritus, or waste material primarily, from the coral. This includes bits of coral skeleton, sand, gravel, and other organic matter, such as fish eggs and tiny crustaceans.
Since a blenny in the wild does not subsist on solely algae, it stands to reason that their captive diet must be supplemented. If a blenny is not getting enough calcium carbonate in its diet, its condition will rapidly deteriorate.
But . . . do offer an occasional algae-based wafers or pellets.
Wow. Thanks for the info. How do you recommend getting calcium carbonate in its diet?

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 55 40.1%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 29 21.2%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 48 35.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 3.6%
Back