Blenny injury - will he heal/ be able to survive?

jrevoman

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Okay this turned out to be quite the read, just wanted to provide all information on the situation. I really really appreciate any help, I'm so worried sick about the guy I can't even sleep lol

So long story short - about 22 hours ago my tailspot blenny fell into the unfortunate claws of my emerald crab. It was my fault, i tried to move some rocks around as i noticed the blenny was just sleeping in the open on the sand after sleeping in a rock for the last week or so. I had seen some people say that watchman gobies become territorial, and basically kick any other fish out of whatever they decide their home is. I added a YWG four days ago, and he took residence under the rock the blenny slept in.

So going off some peoples advice, I rearranged the rockwork, but the whole time the blenny was completely unresponsive to anything happening around it. The lights had been on for a long time at this point so he wasn't stunned by that. I wasn't sure why he was unresponsive but thought he might just be scared as he is the smallest fish in my tank at less than an inch. At one point I had to give him a gentle push out of the way to set a rock down. As I was setting the last rock in place, my emerald crab, a rather large one, was under so I waited for him to move. He started off in a path directly over the blenny, about a second after touching the blenny he snapped him up in his claw.

The blenny started flailing for his life, luckily my hands were already in the tank, i flicked the crab and he held on, i flicked him again and he let go, but the damage was done. In the next minutes the blenny lost almost all color, I could see two lines down his body from front to back, and he begin floating upwards while using all his strength to swim down. I realized to save him I needed to get him away from any danger, so I scooped him up, he swam upwards away from the net but it took all his strength, the swimming was very pathetic. I got him into a clean container filled with tank water, but realized I couldn't leave him in there for long as the temperature would drop too low. I only have the one tank and no breeder box or anything, but I keep the bags from the fish store just in case.

I poked holes in one of the bags, large enough to let oxygen and water through but not large enough for him to swim through, at this point it had been maybe 30-45 minutes since the attack. He still had barely any color, and once I transferred him into the bag which I floated with a good amount of water, then secured under my lid, I noticed he had major damage to his tail and tail fin. The tail fin has about 60% of it missing in the middle, and right in front of where his spot is was all red. I put a couple flakes in the bag and had to call it a night, I believe I did all I could, although I could barely get any sleep anyways.

I woke up a couple hours later, now about 9am, and turned on the dim lamp in the room. I kept this on all day instead of the tank light, enough for him to see but still have shadows to hide in. Reading numerous threads about injured fish, the consensus seemed to be as long as the tank was safe (in most cases meaning removing a bully) they would have a better time healing in the tank. My tank didn't have any bullies to begin with, so I released him back, but not before switching the crab into the makeshift quarantine, just for good measure. Hopefully he can think about his actions in there. I had to go to work, so I was only able to monitor him for a couple hours, but I observed that he could swim well enough to evade hermits so I decided he could stay in the tank and didn't need to be returned to quarantine. I should add that right away when I woke up, I noticed his coloring was back and looked great, apart from the red mark where the crab grabbed him and the missing tail fin section. He perched up on a rock, his swimming was obviously not as good as normal, but he managed. Then it was off to work for me.

When I got home I found him after about ten minutes of looking, perched on a new rock, he stayed there until I shut the lamp off for the night. The only symptoms left are the mark where the crab grabbed him, the tail fin and faster than normal breathing. The fast breathing had been there the whole time. It's now 1am, and I went out and turned on a light in another room, just enough to still see the tank. I found him laying in the sand in a corner rather than on a rock, is it normal for blennys to sleep in the open in the sand? He's done it a handful of times. The symptoms above remain, and I'll include pictures I just took.

I'm wondering if there is anything I can do to help him. I'm going to get a breeder box as soon as possible, just to have. Will his tail fin/tail heal? Will he be able to swim well enough to survive? I haven't seen him eat anything yet but again I haven't been able to monitor him as much as I would have liked. What does the breathing mean, is he just trying to circulate as much oxygen as possible? Any help/answers are appreciated, I've been worried sick about the little guy.

#fishmedic

OP
OP
jrevoman

jrevoman

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I forgot to attach the pics
bbbbbbbb.JPG
bbbbbb.JPG
bbbb.JPG

OP
OP
jrevoman

jrevoman

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
it was honestly brutal to watch, i pretty much saw the attack in slow motion. also i just realized i started the post by saying "long story short" then proceeded to write a dissertation about the event lol

OP
OP
jrevoman

jrevoman

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A crab can only catch a fish if the fish is weak or sick.

Can you advise more info on your tank? Tank size, tank age, water parameters, any other fish or just the blenny and YWM?
Its a 20 gal, established about 2.5 months ago, I have a zebra dartfish as well as a ton of inverts. I checked the nitrate, phosphate, kh and calcium maybe 10-15 days ago, the only thing off was my nitrates were a little high so i did a 25% water change 5 days ago to hopefully help with that. I just found it very strange that he wasn't responding at all to me moving the rocks around, or anything for that matter. the only illnesses that i know what they look like are flukes and ick, and i'm pretty certain he doesn't have either. I will admit I do put a lot of faith in my fish store, they seem very knowledgeable, i ask tons of questions every time i go there and they can always answer them thoroughly and have always been super helpful, but i should add the tail spot blenny was being quarantined before i got him, flukes were found in the tank but i had the fish store wait until it was completely clear before i picked him up

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Okay this turned out to be quite the read, just wanted to provide all information on the situation. I really really appreciate any help, I'm so worried sick about the guy I can't even sleep lol

So long story short - about 22 hours ago my tailspot blenny fell into the unfortunate claws of my emerald crab. It was my fault, i tried to move some rocks around as i noticed the blenny was just sleeping in the open on the sand after sleeping in a rock for the last week or so. I had seen some people say that watchman gobies become territorial, and basically kick any other fish out of whatever they decide their home is. I added a YWG four days ago, and he took residence under the rock the blenny slept in.

So going off some peoples advice, I rearranged the rockwork, but the whole time the blenny was completely unresponsive to anything happening around it. The lights had been on for a long time at this point so he wasn't stunned by that. I wasn't sure why he was unresponsive but thought he might just be scared as he is the smallest fish in my tank at less than an inch. At one point I had to give him a gentle push out of the way to set a rock down. As I was setting the last rock in place, my emerald crab, a rather large one, was under so I waited for him to move. He started off in a path directly over the blenny, about a second after touching the blenny he snapped him up in his claw.

The blenny started flailing for his life, luckily my hands were already in the tank, i flicked the crab and he held on, i flicked him again and he let go, but the damage was done. In the next minutes the blenny lost almost all color, I could see two lines down his body from front to back, and he begin floating upwards while using all his strength to swim down. I realized to save him I needed to get him away from any danger, so I scooped him up, he swam upwards away from the net but it took all his strength, the swimming was very pathetic. I got him into a clean container filled with tank water, but realized I couldn't leave him in there for long as the temperature would drop too low. I only have the one tank and no breeder box or anything, but I keep the bags from the fish store just in case.

I poked holes in one of the bags, large enough to let oxygen and water through but not large enough for him to swim through, at this point it had been maybe 30-45 minutes since the attack. He still had barely any color, and once I transferred him into the bag which I floated with a good amount of water, then secured under my lid, I noticed he had major damage to his tail and tail fin. The tail fin has about 60% of it missing in the middle, and right in front of where his spot is was all red. I put a couple flakes in the bag and had to call it a night, I believe I did all I could, although I could barely get any sleep anyways.

I woke up a couple hours later, now about 9am, and turned on the dim lamp in the room. I kept this on all day instead of the tank light, enough for him to see but still have shadows to hide in. Reading numerous threads about injured fish, the consensus seemed to be as long as the tank was safe (in most cases meaning removing a bully) they would have a better time healing in the tank. My tank didn't have any bullies to begin with, so I released him back, but not before switching the crab into the makeshift quarantine, just for good measure. Hopefully he can think about his actions in there. I had to go to work, so I was only able to monitor him for a couple hours, but I observed that he could swim well enough to evade hermits so I decided he could stay in the tank and didn't need to be returned to quarantine. I should add that right away when I woke up, I noticed his coloring was back and looked great, apart from the red mark where the crab grabbed him and the missing tail fin section. He perched up on a rock, his swimming was obviously not as good as normal, but he managed. Then it was off to work for me.

When I got home I found him after about ten minutes of looking, perched on a new rock, he stayed there until I shut the lamp off for the night. The only symptoms left are the mark where the crab grabbed him, the tail fin and faster than normal breathing. The fast breathing had been there the whole time. It's now 1am, and I went out and turned on a light in another room, just enough to still see the tank. I found him laying in the sand in a corner rather than on a rock, is it normal for blennys to sleep in the open in the sand? He's done it a handful of times. The symptoms above remain, and I'll include pictures I just took.

I'm wondering if there is anything I can do to help him. I'm going to get a breeder box as soon as possible, just to have. Will his tail fin/tail heal? Will he be able to swim well enough to survive? I haven't seen him eat anything yet but again I haven't been able to monitor him as much as I would have liked. What does the breathing mean, is he just trying to circulate as much oxygen as possible? Any help/answers are appreciated, I've been worried sick about the little guy.

#fishmedic

Hi, welcome to Reef2Reef!

As mentioned, an emerald crab will not be able to capture a healthy blenny. Something was wrong with the blenny before that incident. You mentioned the blenny being out in the open and also it is breathing fast. Those are both signs of illness. You didn't mention if it was eating before, or what foods you are feeding it (I saw one mention of flakes) but in looking at the picture, the blenny is very skinny. This means there is some long term health issue.

How long have you had the blenny?
Is the goby eating?

There is one possibility: these blennies are relatively low value fish, but they are very difficult to capture out on the reef. The divers may earn just 25 cents per fish. In order to make money, they turn to using drugs to catch the fish. One of these is cyanide. Cyanide can cause residual mortality in fish up to 50% within 6 weeks of capture. One symptom is a fish that eats, but loses weight.

Jay

C4ctus99

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That’s rough, glad you were there to catch it! I lost a tailspot a month or two ago that was breathing fast and not responding well, similar to yours. He also had stopped eating a couple days before he passed. Whatever it was he had was heavily infecting his gills, no external symptoms other than behavior changes

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
This fish is awfully thin and looks if not weak , getting to that point. recovery from this state of health is generally difficult to impossible.
Is it showing interest in food ? If so. . Pods,live and frozen brine, and even blackworms will be enticers to eat. Often when this thin, they feed off their liver until absorbed and then often resulting in loss.

OP
OP
jrevoman

jrevoman

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi, welcome to Reef2Reef!

As mentioned, an emerald crab will not be able to capture a healthy blenny. Something was wrong with the blenny before that incident. You mentioned the blenny being out in the open and also it is breathing fast. Those are both signs of illness. You didn't mention if it was eating before, or what foods you are feeding it (I saw one mention of flakes) but in looking at the picture, the blenny is very skinny. This means there is some long term health issue.

How long have you had the blenny?
Is the goby eating?

There is one possibility: these blennies are relatively low value fish, but they are very difficult to capture out on the reef. The divers may earn just 25 cents per fish. In order to make money, they turn to using drugs to catch the fish. One of these is cyanide. Cyanide can cause residual mortality in fish up to 50% within 6 weeks of capture. One symptom is a fish that eats, but loses weight.

Jay
The blenny is a relatively new addition, I’ve had him about two weeks in total, introduced him about a week and a half before the goby. I actually never feed flakes, the dartfish seems to be spoiled but I don’t mind so I feed frozen once a day. The goby and dartfish eat well, and the blenny always grabs some smaller frozen bits as most of it is too big for him. I see him picking at the rocks all the time though, so I thought he was getting something from that although my tank really has next to no algae. Are most of these fish reef caught? I thought many fish these days were captive bred, again very new to the hobby.

I appreciate the responses everyone as I learn how to use this forum and also care for fish. I just woke up spent about 5 mins looking for him and didn’t see him, if I can’t find him soon I may flip the tank light back on.

OP
OP
jrevoman

jrevoman

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Alright I found him, or what was left of him. Just a tiny bit of his unmistakable tail in the hands of my largest hermit. Poor guy. Any idea what the illness was or if I should be worried about it spreading to anything else in the tank?

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Alright I found him, or what was left of him. Just a tiny bit of his unmistakable tail in the hands of my largest hermit. Poor guy. Any idea what the illness was or if I should be worried about it spreading to anything else in the tank?

While I can’t say with 100% certainty, this has all the symptoms of cyanide poisoning….sorry.

What I tell folks though is if you have fish loss, wait a minimum of 2 weeks (a month is better) before adding any new animals - just in case this fish did have something contagious.

Jay

C4ctus99

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Very sorry to hear that. Just keep an eye on the other fish and follow jays recommendations

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 42 16.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 16 6.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 30 11.7%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 148 57.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 19 7.4%
Back