Blitzkrieg algae attack

Steve1500

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am not sure if I am getting blitzkrieged by different kinds of algae. Attached are pics of the uglies from my 75G tank. The tank is about 6 months old and I have low nutrients (2-3 ppm on Nitrates, 0 ppm on phosphates), so I assume dino but I cannot see any of the characteristic bubbles on the sand algae (see pic).

Series 1 from rocks:
The pic with the big bubbles/algae on rock is from today, however, this algae seems to have decreased significantly since I added 80% strength chemiclean two days ago. Does cyano have bubbles like this? Will chemiclean kill bubble algae? I tried picking the bubbles off the rock, but the bubble popped. The pic with my thumbnail and algae is what remained. I don't know where the bubble in this thumb pic came from, but i don't think it is the one that I picked off the rock. This algae is red and is mat like with big bubbles, but the bubbles are not hard and cannot be picked up. Added microscope pics also. What do you think? Cyano, dino or bubble algae?

Series 2 from sand:
The other pick of the algae w the sand is not the same as the bubble type algae on the rock. This is brown, stringy and no bubbles. Even after the chemiclean, this algae did not change. Those spots you see on the algae are not bubbles, that is sand. Also added a microscope pic.....Dino or cyano?

Thanks in advance
Steve

from rock.jpg

from rock 1.jpg

from rock 3.jpg

from rock 4.jpg

from sand.jpg

sand 3.jpg

Ranjib

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You have cyano as well. I would not worry a lot unless its a widespread problem. Do regular water change (or if you are going with something like triton), whatever the regular chore is , stick to it, and try to get the parameters stabilize. Whats your phosphate/nitrate level? do you have a fuge?

OP
OP
S

Steve1500

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You have cyano as well. I would not worry a lot unless its a widespread problem. Do regular water change (or if you are going with something like triton), whatever the regular chore is , stick to it, and try to get the parameters stabilize. Whats your phosphate/nitrate level? do you have a fuge?
Which one is the cyano? The red bubble algae on the rock or the stringy Brown algae? Neither seem to fit the typical profile. Thanks for your help! Also what’s the other algae?

OP
OP
S

Steve1500

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am dosing nitrates and phosphates because they are low. Nitrates are usually around 1-2 and Phos is a 0 (Hanna). I do have a fuge and I have taken some of the cheato out to increase nutrients.

Ingenuity against algae: Do you use DIY methods for controlling nuisance algae?

• I have used DIY methods for controlling algae.

Votes: 42 46.7%
  • I use commercial methods for controlling algae, but never DIY methods.

Votes: 20 22.2%
  • I have not used commercial or DIY methods for controlling algae.

Votes: 22 24.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 6.7%
Back