Bloated female swallowtail angel

Cwentz758

Do you even Reef bro?
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m writing about my female swallowtail angel who I’ve recently noticed has gotten very bloated. See pics below.

Tank parameters have been stable at
.025 salinity (Hanna)
4 ppm Nitrate (RS)
.05 phosphate (Hanna)
7.0 ALK (Hanna)

Tank has been running almost 6 months. Most of the rock was from a previous tank and well established (6 year old rock)

I feed a combination of Flakes, seaweed, and PE MYSIS with aminos.

The angel fish in question has been in my tank almost two months. Was NOT QT, just observed and in the tank it went. I did observe a white spot or two on the fishes back fin which I determined may have been Ick so I dipped her in ICK X at the recommended dose on the bottle for 30 min.

A week after the dip the spots have gone (probably in my tank) but my other big healthy fish have not picked anything up and I’m sure are strong enough to not get it.
It’s been almost 3 weeks since the dip and now the fish is bloated, and I haven’t noticed it eat the mysis at feeding like I used to.

the fish swims normal, maybe not as actively as it just kind of hangs in a spot for awhile then moves. Before it was all over the tank.

I will also say I don’t notice fast breathing of string poop. I stated in a post somewhere I noticed it swims and air bubbles come out it’s rear, I see this twice a day atleast, not so much lately though.

I started adding Metro

76E61867-7E19-47F3-95A9-9316AE561DCA.jpeg 2B239B17-3867-4659-8AC9-D1091A5056AC.jpeg 5E5F1E0D-86B6-4D9E-A4C0-312135A071D5.jpeg

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m writing about my female swallowtail angel who I’ve recently noticed has gotten very bloated. See pics below.

Tank parameters have been stable at
.025 salinity (Hanna)
4 ppm Nitrate (RS)
.05 phosphate (Hanna)
7.0 ALK (Hanna)

Tank has been running almost 6 months. Most of the rock was from a previous tank and well established (6 year old rock)

I feed a combination of Flakes, seaweed, and PE MYSIS with aminos.

The angel fish in question has been in my tank almost two months. Was NOT QT, just observed and in the tank it went. I did observe a white spot or two on the fishes back fin which I determined may have been Ick so I dipped her in ICK X at the recommended dose on the bottle for 30 min.

A week after the dip the spots have gone (probably in my tank) but my other big healthy fish have not picked anything up and I’m sure are strong enough to not get it.
It’s been almost 3 weeks since the dip and now the fish is bloated, and I haven’t noticed it eat the mysis at feeding like I used to.

the fish swims normal, maybe not as actively as it just kind of hangs in a spot for awhile then moves. Before it was all over the tank.

I will also say I don’t notice fast breathing of string poop. I stated in a post somewhere I noticed it swims and air bubbles come out it’s rear, I see this twice a day atleast, not so much lately though.

I started adding Metro

76E61867-7E19-47F3-95A9-9316AE561DCA.jpeg 2B239B17-3867-4659-8AC9-D1091A5056AC.jpeg 5E5F1E0D-86B6-4D9E-A4C0-312135A071D5.jpeg

Is the fish still feeding? If so, I would drop the flake food and seaweed (does it even eat that?) and add in frozen brine shrimp as sort of a laxative. If it isn't feeding, then what you are currently doing is really the only thing you can do.

Jay

OP
OP
Cwentz758

Cwentz758

Do you even Reef bro?
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I haven’t seen it go for the mysis in days.

I listed the other foods as I feed them for my tangs.

I’ll get some brine to see.

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I haven’t seen it go for the mysis in days.

I listed the other foods as I feed them for my tangs.

I’ll get some brine to see.

If it isn't eating mysids, it probably won't go for the brine either....sorry.

Jay

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Noticed today the fish started scratching near its gills on a rock. Still bloated and not eating.
Well, I don’t see the scratching and bloating being related. The scratching typically indicates an external parasite, usually flukes.

Other fish in the tank are all symptom free?

Jay

OP
OP
Cwentz758

Cwentz758

Do you even Reef bro?
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ya all my other fish are normal. The swallow tail hangs out in the back and doesn’t do much. Swims fine when I come to feed , still isn’t eating.

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ya all my other fish are normal. The swallow tail hangs out in the back and doesn’t do much. Swims fine when I come to feed , still isn’t eating.
Sorry, I don't have any direction for you to take this. If the fish had swim bladder issues, it would be "bobbing" and swimming head down. This means that the bloating is from one of three things: impacted gut (constipation), ascites (fluid build up due to liver or kidney disease) or egg binding. Trouble is, once a fish stops feeding there really isn't any way to rectify any of those three issues.

Jay

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 59 40.1%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 33 22.4%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 49 33.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 4.1%
Back