Bloated Tailspot Blenny

Moonlight135

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I noticed my Tailspot Blenny has been looking bloated. After doing some research, I’m guessing it was due to a high protein diet because he is a little pig that loves to eat the other fish food. I tried to feed peas to help with the constipation, but he has been refusing to eat them. Anytime he eats a pea, he will spit it up. I’m guessing that he would still eat if I put other food in, but I didn’t want to exacerbate the problem by continuing to feed.
I had though he was getting better, but I noticed that, while his anus is less swollen, his stomach is still distended. Is this something I should be worrying about? Or is it just part of the process for his constipation to end?
I’m fairly new to the hobby, so I wanted to check with others. Thanks!

C635114D-6723-47CA-BF28-6B8FE744FF82.jpeg FFE37C7E-B0FD-4BFC-A407-0780BE00D041.jpeg

SMSREEF

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tailspots eat, eat and eat some more. If you are feeding something dry, just switch to wet (frozen).
maybe feed something with algae in it too so the guy can get his fiber.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Moonlight135

Moonlight135

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tailspots eat, eat and eat some more. If you are feeding something dry, just switch to wet (frozen).
maybe feed something with algae in it too so the guy can get his fiber.
Do you have a recommendation for brands? I ended up making my own mix of frozen food so it wasn’t just mystic, but it’s mainly protein, so I know I need to mix it up.

Upvote 0

SMSREEF

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Try LRS foods.
Reef frenzy is good because it has some greens in it too and will add fiber to the diet.
Blennys like to eat and a big belly is pretty normal. But it’s usually symmetrical without protrusions.

Upvote 0

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Funny how things come around - feeding peas was advice given for treating fancy goldfish by an aquarist at the Shedd Aquarium back in the 1970s. It has since gotten extrapolated to marine fish, but many don't eat them, and the causes of swelling are different.

Another possibility - female egg laying fish, in the absence of a male will periodically swell up with eggs.

Jay

Upvote 0

Ingenuity against algae: Do you use DIY methods for controlling nuisance algae?

• I have used DIY methods for controlling algae.

Votes: 30 52.6%
  • I use commercial methods for controlling algae, but never DIY methods.

Votes: 12 21.1%
  • I have not used commercial or DIY methods for controlling algae.

Votes: 12 21.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 5.3%
Back