Blond naso in QT heavy breathing and on the side

lost66

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey there
I have an emergency, hope I can save the fish. I got blond naso on Friday. I have 10g tank with a lot of rocks from my 4 years old display tank. Fish looked fine at the store, it took me 45min to go home and then I put the bag in the tank for 20 min to match temp. Then I was adding fresh water to the backet slowely to acclimate and when 5g bucket was almost full I moved fish to my QT. I didn't feed the fish.
My naso looked stressed but in vertical position and was breathing I think normally. Yesterday evening I was checking it was still swimming in vertical position.
Today morning when I was about to feed it I noticed it is laying on the side breathing heavily. At this point I did massive water change and added carbon. There are no chemicals in the tank. I don't have any medications on hand.

Is there a way to save it?

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Hey there
I have an emergency, hope I can save the fish. I got blond naso on Friday. I have 10g tank with a lot of rocks from my 4 years old display tank. Fish looked fine at the store, it took me 45min to go home and then I put the bag in the tank for 20 min to match temp. Then I was adding fresh water to the backet slowely to acclimate and when 5g bucket was almost full I moved fish to my QT. I didn't feed the fish.
My naso looked stressed but in vertical position and was breathing I think normally. Yesterday evening I was checking it was still swimming in vertical position.
Today morning when I was about to feed it I noticed it is laying on the side breathing heavily. At this point I did massive water change and added carbon. There are no chemicals in the tank. I don't have any medications on hand.

Unfortunately for about 9 months now- this has been a trend. An influx of these fish are coming fromn Sri Lanka and it is suspected that a method of capture is contributing to this trend in which the fish appears healthy the first few days and then weakens quickly with loss of appetite and strength and as you found layin on its side, thin body and breathing heavy until death. It may be due to cyanide capture but unconfirmed.
Sorry to hear of this and being the bearer of bad news. Often in this state of health , recovery is very low as they are moribund and adding air stone may or may not help, but there is no additive that can be recommended for this

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey there

Do you know the salinity of the water in the store's tank compared to your tank? With the symptoms starting as soon as you got home, I'm focused on some acclimation issue.

jay

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I agree with @vetteguy53081 and @Jay Hemdal - it seems too quick to be a parasite or disease. It must be the salinity, a toxin of some sort in your bucket or water, or some other out of whack parameter that occurred when acclimating the fish. The naso tang issue mentioned does not seem like it would occur this quickly (i.e in an hour after moving from the fish store) - though I suppose the added stress from moving/being caught could aggravate something

Debramb

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
fish is dead...

95% fish from that store dies in my QT and I don't feel comfortable to put them directly to my DT. Time to change to something more reliable :/
Thanks all for the input.
I’m so sorry for your loss, it’s a ❤️‍.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 39 16.2%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 14 5.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 30 12.4%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 140 58.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 17 7.1%
Back